VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is this true? JW can you advise?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

Is this true? JW can you advise?  Empty
PostSubject: Is this true? JW can you advise?    Is this true? JW can you advise?  EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 4:33 pm

This was posted by a FB friend of mine who works in ITIS at the the Smithsonian. It does not ring true to me but I do not argue on line with pros in the field. He does do a lot of work in NOVA and Southern MD with mole kings ane eastern milks. I just think he may be wrong on the VDGIF permits here. Otherwise myself and lots of others that I know are in violation lots a times every year.
Is this true? JW can you advise?  Screenshot_2015-04-21-15-25-33
Back to top Go down
Nocturnalnature
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Is this true? JW can you advise?    Is this true? JW can you advise?  EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 3:58 am

Direct from VDGIF regulations. Basically you just need a fishing license.

Nongame Fish, Reptile, Amphibian and Aquatic Invertebrate Regulations
General
It shall be unlawful to take, possess, import, cause to be imported, export, cause to be exported, buy, sell, offer for sale or liberate within the Commonwealth any wild animal unless otherwise specifically permitted by law or regulation. Albino reptiles and amphibians and domestic animals may be imported, possessed, and sold. A list of domestic animals and the Department's official listing of "Native and Naturalized Fauna of Virginia" is available from this website and Department offices.

Native and Naturalized Species
Possession Limits (Personal Use & Not for Sale):
Species Type Possession Limit
Amphibians and Reptiles 5
Nongame Fish and Aquatic Invertebrates 20
Exceptions:
No possession allowed Threatened and endangered species, freshwater mussels, candy darter, eastern hellbender, diamondback terrapin, and spotted turtle.
No possession limits - can be possessed in unlimited numbers. Carp, bowfin, longnose gar, mullet, yellow bullhead, brown bullhead, black bullhead, snail bullhead, white sucker, northern hogsucker, gizzard shad, threadfin shad, white perch, yellow perch (10 fish limit in Lake Moomaw), alewife and blueback herring [see limits under Anadromous (coastal) in table)], stoneroller (hornyhead), fathead minnow, golden shiner, goldfish, and Asian clams.
See creel and length limits table for catfish, anadromous (coastal) shad, and herring limits.
Fish bait: minnows and chubs (Cyprinidae), salamanders (less than 6 inches), crayfish, and hellgrammites- 50 in aggregate (all species combined) unless said person has purchased fish bait and has a receipt specifying the number of individuals purchased by species. Note:Madtoms, crayfish, and salamanders cannot be bought or sold.
Bullfrogs - 15 per day. Snapping turtles - 5 per day, only from June 1 to September 30. Cannot be taken from the banks or waters of designated stocked trout waters.
Native amphibians and reptiles that are captured within the Commonwealth and possessed live for private use and not for sale may be liberated under the following conditions:
Period of captivity does not exceed 30 days;
Animals must be liberated at the site of capture;
Animals must have been housed separately from other wild-caught and domestic animal; and
Animals that demonstrate symptoms of disease or illness or that have sustained injury during their captivity may not be released.
Back to top Go down
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

PostSubject: Re: Is this true? JW can you advise?    Is this true? JW can you advise?  EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 5:49 am

Where does it state that you need a fishing license?
Back to top Go down
Nocturnalnature
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Is this true? JW can you advise?    Is this true? JW can you advise?  EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 5:02 pm

I apologize for not being more clear.
It goes on to state that if using a hook and line to catch turtles then a fishing license is required.
I have spoken directly to the lead agent in charge of native Reptiles and Amphibians regarding this subject and was told catching and keeping up to 5 specimens per species is within the law.
As far as turning rocks, logs, stumps, etc., I honestly cannot say for certain because I never broached that subject with the agent.
Back to top Go down
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

PostSubject: Re: Is this true? JW can you advise?    Is this true? JW can you advise?  EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 5:25 pm

Thank you. That is exactly what I thought as well and scoured all the regulations and permitting requirements that I could find. Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Is this true? JW can you advise?    Is this true? JW can you advise?  EmptySun May 17, 2015 2:26 pm

If you're herping for scientific purposes, then you technically need a Scientific Collection Permit. However if you're just herping for fun, no permit is required.

Last edited by jw on Sun May 17, 2015 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

PostSubject: Re: Is this true? JW can you advise?    Is this true? JW can you advise?  EmptySun May 17, 2015 2:28 pm

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Is this true? JW can you advise?    Is this true? JW can you advise?  EmptySun May 17, 2015 2:49 pm

You're welcome.

Also, in Virginia a SC permit is minimal requirement. If you want to use your SC permit in a VA State Park you'll also need a permit from the VA DCR. For federal land you'll need an additional permit from the controlling government agency. For VA threatened and endangered species you'll need a T&E Permit.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is this true? JW can you advise?    Is this true? JW can you advise?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Is this true? JW can you advise?
Page 1 of 1