VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ok need advise

Go down 
+4
mamasmarco
Lokielani
mommaduck224
dj6884
8 posters
AuthorMessage
dj6884
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
dj6884

ok need advise Empty
PostSubject: ok need advise   ok need advise EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 6:00 pm

i have a guy that ive been doing breeding loans with he brings his female ballpythons over and my males breed with them but here is the catch the contract is that he brings feeders for his snakes and bedding for them and half the clutch but im having issues with him he has not brought feeders for his snakes for 4 months nor bedding and excuse is he cant afford to get feeders the last girl he took home layed 4 eggs and all passed away cause he did not incubate them, also because of not bringing feeders which the only ones i can provide is live, he doesent want his fed live but i cant afford to purchase ft for his which is his responsibility, one of his snakes lost two teeth from eating live i have taken them to see a vet which i paid for everything. i have told him about the food bill and the vet and he still cannot afford rats. he has had three snakes die from improper care of his part and now im paying for everything for his snakes that are here what should i do, i plan on telling him until he pays me for the money ive spent which is over 300 that the snakes are staying here, can anyone please give me some advise thanks
Back to top Go down
mommaduck224
Established Member
Established Member

ok need advise Empty
PostSubject: Re: ok need advise   ok need advise EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 6:26 pm

Its a bit of a sticky situation when it comes to animals. With personal belongings its legal to withhold things on your property until payment is made your best bet would be to call a couple different lawyers and see what they say or call the non-emergency police number and talk to someone about it. But if you do decide to withhold the animals from him the worst he can do is call the police but theres really nothing they can do unless he has proof that they belong to him. Other than that you can tell the police that he gave them to you lol. The worst that can happpen is the cop will tell you to give them back. I would keep them until he pays you and next time make sure you get into bussiness with a better person. Do a home check make sure his animals are being properly cared for.
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

ok need advise Empty
PostSubject: Re: ok need advise   ok need advise EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 6:57 pm

That sucks... I have never been in that sort of predicament but I could imagine it could get bad. If you withhold the animals until payment or just say you won't give them back because they won't properly be cared for will he vandalize property or anything of the sorts or will he just be pissed? He has to know he is in the wrong here especially if there are snakes dying on his watch. You could just suck up the loss, give him his snakes back and go on with your day. That's a crappy option for you and the snakes involved, but it could prevent future hassles, money and animal loss.
Back to top Go down
dj6884
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
dj6884

ok need advise Empty
PostSubject: Re: ok need advise   ok need advise EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 7:16 pm

he is a very nice person but all of the babys he has gotten have passed away he got two from a show and they died as well but all he wants is to get something for free my bf thinks that he shouldnt get them back until payment is paid i will never do buisness with this man again but when i spend more money on an animal than the owner does i feel the owner shouldnt own them i took responsibility for these girls and will not let them suffer nor go hungry, he keeps three snakes in tanks together or two together never seperate
Back to top Go down
mamasmarco
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
mamasmarco

ok need advise Empty
PostSubject: Re: ok need advise   ok need advise EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 7:32 pm

Dang DJ. Don't let him screw you over. I would keep all the offspring but one of each clutch.. That way you'll get your money back..!
Back to top Go down
http://www.hamptonroadscritters.com
dj6884
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
dj6884

ok need advise Empty
PostSubject: Re: ok need advise   ok need advise EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 7:50 pm

yeah it sucks big time marco we added it up on vet and food bill they eat med large rats twice a week plus vet bill is 478 bucks it makes me sick, if you cant afford to properly take care of an animal dont own it, thats how i feel about it
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

ok need advise Empty
PostSubject: Re: ok need advise   ok need advise EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 7:57 pm

It may be best to simply cut ties with him.
Or send him a certified letter stating exactly how he breached the contract and what he owes you. Give him 5 days to pay or pick-up his snakes. Start the paper trail and and don't make or accept any changes or amendments to the contract unless done in writing and signed by both parties.

If this guy is not properly caring for his snakes, I would not allow any of his animals to come in contact with my collection. The risk of introducing parasites and/or diseases from improperly maintained animals into your collection is too great.
Back to top Go down
Don

ok need advise Empty
PostSubject: Re: ok need advise   ok need advise EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 7:57 pm

Breeding loans are an area that ends up in hurt feelings more than anything else in Ball Pythons. EVERYTHING needs to be in writing. The contracts need to be very detailed and in writing. I started to do one once but once I started detailing the agreement, we both felt it was better to not do it. I stay away from them. Sorry yours went bad.

You do have a duty to ensure the property of the other person is cared for until you get to a resolution. I'd write it off as a bad experience and give him his snakes back. You can not hold them hostage for the food and vet bills. That should be done through the courts.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

ok need advise Empty
PostSubject: Re: ok need advise   ok need advise EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 11:36 pm

iagree with Don and Jon

Document all of your expenses and present a bill. If that doesn't work, small claims court is an option that avoids expensive legal bills but it might be better to just wash your hands of it. Keeping the snakes could result in a civil suit against yourself and theft charges.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
dj6884
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
dj6884

ok need advise Empty
PostSubject: Re: ok need advise   ok need advise EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 8:08 am

sell here is the other issue both are currently gravid and one has also ovulated until they lay i would not feel comfortable handing them over, he cant afford to feed them plus the last hatchlings he had didnt eat for two weeks so he force fed them and not long after they passed, im going to wait till they lay then hand them over and wash my hands. i feel horrible when he called and told me that the last baby passed away, ive talked to a lawyer for advise and he suggested returning the snakes when they lay eggs then summit a bill to him, plus every one of my females that have layed has had healthy babies the last two girls of his the babys hatched out very small and took forever to eat but they came to me already gravid, like i said this guy isnt a bad guy but wants everything for free and for other people to do things for him and doesent take helpfull advise at all:no: 
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
bcr229

ok need advise Empty
PostSubject: Re: ok need advise   ok need advise EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 6:36 pm

Personally I would keep quiet, he knows he owes you money, and if you push he may demand his snakes back. Otherwise, 1) feed live if that's cheaper and more convenient for you, 2) say nothing about the females being gravid or ovulating, and 3) once both females had laid their clutches contact him to let him know he could come get the snakes and pay the bill for their care.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
Sponsored content

ok need advise Empty
PostSubject: Re: ok need advise   ok need advise Empty

Back to top Go down

ok need advise
Page 1 of 1