VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Substrate for Leos

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jenlb714

Substrate for Leos Empty
PostSubject: Substrate for Leos   Substrate for Leos EmptyTue Dec 09, 2014 2:57 pm

For those of you who are overly experienced Leo owners, what have you found to be the very best substrate to use for your leos? I want to give my leo the best and right now (and I know its bad) he is on sand and I am switching him today to paper towel but that isnt pleasing to me. So what have you found to be the best overall? Pleasing for the gecko and for you?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Nocturnalnature
Established Member
Established Member

Substrate for Leos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Leos   Substrate for Leos EmptyTue Dec 09, 2014 6:56 pm

If you want to keep using sand, look into Jurassic Sand. VERY expensive, but the risk of impaction is considerably smaller than regular sand. I've used it with Nephrurus for over 4 years and never had a loss with adults or hatchlings.
Keep in mind that it can be washed, dried and reused, so the initial cost is offset by it basically being a never ending supply.
Best of luck!
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

Substrate for Leos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Leos   Substrate for Leos EmptyMon Dec 15, 2014 1:31 pm

Sand is more risky on young geckos, especially if you feed them in the same tank. You can take some of that risk out by feeding gecko in a separate container. Tank liners work well and with some decor can still be pleasing to the eye
Back to top Go down
jenlb714

Substrate for Leos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Leos   Substrate for Leos EmptyMon Dec 15, 2014 2:31 pm

Have you guys ever used shelf liners?
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

Substrate for Leos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Leos   Substrate for Leos EmptyMon Dec 15, 2014 2:48 pm

Do you have a moist hide for your gecko?
Back to top Go down
jenlb714

Substrate for Leos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Leos   Substrate for Leos EmptyMon Dec 15, 2014 2:54 pm

Yes
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

Substrate for Leos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Leos   Substrate for Leos EmptyMon Dec 15, 2014 3:09 pm

Thats really important to have. Without it they can loose toes to shedding problems. It's also a good idea to feed your gecko in a separate container. I use a rubbermaid with smooth sides so food can't crawl up and out. I suggest this for 2 reasons. One crickets have been know to cause wounds on geckos if left in the cage. So you can remove them from your enclosure after feeding, or feed separately in another container after gecko is done eating. Secondly your gecko probably will take to handling better. If you pick it up and put it in feeding container it will associate your handling as a dinner bell.
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Substrate for Leos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Leos   Substrate for Leos EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 10:35 am

I have used playsand on my group, the same group, since 1988.
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

Substrate for Leos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Leos   Substrate for Leos EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 12:42 pm

results may very as with anything. I myself will not take a risk like that because I've seen a gecko die from gut impaction.
Back to top Go down
jenlb714

Substrate for Leos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Leos   Substrate for Leos EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 1:23 pm

I think I will just go with shelf lining. Simple/easy to clean and use, harmless to the gecko, durable, and still pleasing to the eye.
Back to top Go down
jenlb714

Substrate for Leos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Leos   Substrate for Leos EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 9:43 pm

Out of curiosity, are you any good at sexing geckos? I need confirmation of the sex of my gecko as I have been getting mixed answers. Some saying female, some saying male. Kinda hard to name the poor thing if I don't know what it is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Substrate for Leos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Leos   Substrate for Leos Empty

Back to top Go down

Substrate for Leos
Page 1 of 1