VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

bioactive substrate?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
WithoutPride
Established Member
Established Member
WithoutPride

bioactive substrate? Empty
PostSubject: bioactive substrate?   bioactive substrate? EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 9:11 pm

I saw a post on here about a bioactive substrate system and did some research on it and was curious. Would it be good for my water dragons? I have about 3 or 4 inchs of depth i can use for substrate (planned on making some modifications to get a deeper depth) anyone with experience setting it up that can give me some detailed instructions and if it would be better than commercial substrates for holding humidity?
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: bioactive substrate?   bioactive substrate? EmptyTue Mar 25, 2014 11:24 am

I only used newspaper when I had my dragon but he was in a tight enclosure. I use ABG as bioactive substrate in plant only terrariums. I love the stuff but there are the few occasional pieces that I would fear may lodge a reptiles throat. There are a few mixes out there that you can find on the terrarium forums that consist of finer materials. The first main ingredient I would use is peat moss with some fine grounded sphagnum. There are bug kits you can buy for your substrate that will break down feces and other crap. Check out NE Herpetoculture, that site is AWESOME and they are great to deal with.

http://www.neherpetoculture.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
WithoutPride
Established Member
Established Member
WithoutPride

PostSubject: Re: bioactive substrate?   bioactive substrate? EmptyTue Mar 25, 2014 12:36 pm

I will! Thanks Focal! I plan on doing it with my dragons to give them a more naturalistic enviroment and get some plants growin in there.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: bioactive substrate?   bioactive substrate? EmptyThu Mar 27, 2014 11:50 am

Naturalistic environments are the best, please post some pics of your build when it's done.

I'm going to try to get some outdoor pens in the ground this summer for our dragons but we'll see.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
WithoutPride
Established Member
Established Member
WithoutPride

PostSubject: Re: bioactive substrate?   bioactive substrate? EmptyThu Mar 27, 2014 12:37 pm

I will! I have to make moditfications to the enclosure before i can work on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: bioactive substrate?   bioactive substrate? Empty

Back to top Go down

bioactive substrate?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: General Discussion Forums :: Snake/Lizard/Gecko Discussion-
Jump to: