VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Substrate help

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BunnyWabb1t
BunnyWabb1t

Substrate help Empty
PostSubject: Substrate help   Substrate help EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 1:59 pm

I currently have my ball python, Rose, on Eco Earth. The humidity is pretty hit and miss. I was wondering if I used aspen shaving instead if it might be a little better. She is in an open topped 40 gallon tank, I might just need to go out and buy a piece of plexiglass cut to size.

Would aspen hold the humidity without having to be super damp?
Substrate help 01111411
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
bcr229

Substrate help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate help   Substrate help EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 2:50 pm

I prefer cypress mulch over aspen in the winter for my ball pythons and boas as it holds humidity better without molding. During the warmer weather they're on newspaper, but they're in a rack system or enclosures designed to maintain humidity, not tanks.

If you're going to keep her in a 40-gallon tank I'd suggest using cypress year-round, and cover the top with something like Glad Press n Seal to keep the humidity in.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Substrate help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate help   Substrate help EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 7:04 pm

No, aspen won't help anymore than Eco earth in a tank. If you are not using a heat lamp, I suggest plexiglass with some holes drilled.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Sponsored content

Substrate help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate help   Substrate help Empty

Back to top Go down

Substrate help
Page 1 of 1