VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What substrate do you use for your beardie???

Go down 
+3
Jabberwocky Dragons
Jaded_Heart
Lokielani
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

What substrate do you use for your beardie??? Empty
PostSubject: What substrate do you use for your beardie???   What substrate do you use for your beardie??? EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 9:54 pm

So, I picked up 2 showcase cages and I am going to put the beardie in one and the bts in the other; right now the beardie is on carpet, but I really don't like it and I want to put him on substrate. I have a couple bags of fine eco-earth and I was planning on mixing that with a bag of repti-sand to give it a little more structure, however when I went to research this (2 large bags of eco-earth to one small bag of sand), everywhere says avoid the sand, get top soil; others say mix sand and dirt together...what do you all use???? I don't want him to get impacted, he gets veggies in a bowl in his cage, but I will be feeding him dubias and other live stuff in a seperate enclosure.
Back to top Go down
Jaded_Heart
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Jaded_Heart

PostSubject: Re: What substrate do you use for your beardie???   What substrate do you use for your beardie??? EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 10:08 pm

how old/big is your beardie? GENERALLY adult and big sub adults will do fine on sand. the big no-no is Calcium Sand. This is a very dangerous sand for your beardie to eat at any age. It reduced the acidity in your beardie's stomach, rendering it less able to digest it's food properly and severely increasing the risk of impaction.

I have heard of MANY breeders having years and years of great success using sifted fine fine fine Children's Play Sand!! I have used it magnificently as well. Dirt/sand mix is also good, but the closest you can get to their natural habitat would actually be tile. :-)

One thing I did with great success was to use the play sand, but pick up a large tile from Lowes and place it on one side for the feeding bowl. It reduced the problems with the greens falling into the sand! but still allowed me to benifit from the easy-cleanup that sand provided.
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/PrymalReptile
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: What substrate do you use for your beardie???   What substrate do you use for your beardie??? EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 10:21 pm

He was a rescue so I'm not sure of age, but he is 12" or so, I'm not too worried about impaction, but just being cautious. The tile to put the food dish on is a great idea Smile, I will probably do that. There will be plenty of flat rocks and basking areas as well. I heard about using children's play sand, but I'm not really comfortable using just sand (bad experiences).
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: What substrate do you use for your beardie???   What substrate do you use for your beardie??? EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 9:40 am

Sand is a great substrate for bearded dragons and you shouldn't have any problems using the play sand that Jaded Heart mentioned. We've kept many many dragons on sand for many years without a single problem. Don't use repti sand or any of the other pet brand sands... they can cause impactions and injuries. Certain types of marine sand is okay as well.

If you're not comfortable using just sand, get a bag of Bacto top soil and mix them together. Bacto is the best brand and the soil is nothing but pure, clean, and sifted. The big box stores don't carry it so you'll need to go to a specialty garden store to find it. Eco Earth looks a little too fibrous to me so I would stay away from it for dragons.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: What substrate do you use for your beardie???   What substrate do you use for your beardie??? EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 10:01 am

Thanks, I will check out the Bacto top soil and mix that with play sand. Smile
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: What substrate do you use for your beardie???   What substrate do you use for your beardie??? EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 10:53 am

I went to home depot and bought a yard of outdoor carpet, then cut several pieces to the size of the enclosure. Works great and you can swap them out for cleaning.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
derpinah
Established Member
Established Member
derpinah

PostSubject: Re: What substrate do you use for your beardie???   What substrate do you use for your beardie??? EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 11:36 am

I use non stick padded shelf liner that has a bamboo pattern that I buy @ Wally World and cut to size. I wash it in 1-2 times and replace it every other month or so.
Back to top Go down
Shelleyshadows
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Shelleyshadows

PostSubject: Re: What substrate do you use for your beardie???   What substrate do you use for your beardie??? EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 5:04 pm

I had a big tank with a divider in the middle, half carpet stuff half sand.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=755407926
Kittiekat149
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Kittiekat149

PostSubject: Re: What substrate do you use for your beardie???   What substrate do you use for your beardie??? EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 7:51 pm

We use ground up walnut. For me it is a lot less messy then sand if water is spilled. As for everyone saying if it is used beardies are more likely to get impacted.. I take my beardies out if I am feeding crickets and all of their dishes have taller sides then most bowls.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What substrate do you use for your beardie???   What substrate do you use for your beardie??? Empty

Back to top Go down

What substrate do you use for your beardie???
Page 1 of 1