VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hybrid's your thoughts?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cp3_Pythons
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Cp3_Pythons

Hybrid's your thoughts? Empty
PostSubject: Hybrid's your thoughts?   Hybrid's your thoughts? EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 7:55 pm

What's your opinion on hybrid snake's and how many if any are planning on working with hybrid's or currently are working with them...

I do plan on working with hybrids and have a few idea's up my sleeve's on what I want to achive working with them and what pattern's I want to see and if the pattern's morphs of diffrent species are compatible...
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid's your thoughts?   Hybrid's your thoughts? EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 8:26 pm

**** hybrids good for nuthing and ruin a species and industry
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid's your thoughts?   Hybrid's your thoughts? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 5:56 pm

I don't currently work with any snakes, hybrids or not, but I think hybrids of any type are great. If they can reproduce, hybrids generally strengthen the gene pool. One of many ways would be reducing the bottle-neck gene effect found in many species, especially with today's rabid selective breeding. In fact, creating hybrids and breeding them back into the wild-type population is one method that is used to save certain critically endangered species from extinction. If they can't reproduce then it doesn't matter anyway.

I think that breeding morphs causes many more problems to a species than creating hybrids. Some of the most popular morphs across the board in ball pythons, leopard geckos, and bearded dragons carry heavy health risks due to inbreeding in an attempt to establish a popular and often lucrative morph. Breeders concerned with only strengthening the species should only be breeding normals with the focus on selecting for longevity of the species, increased clutch size, and increased strength. Normally drab animals that now appear in colorful morphs are prone to predation and startling prey.... definitely not helping the species! Instead, most if not virtually all, breeders focus on creating or continuing interesting morphs such as colors, patterns, and skin textures.

I like the different morphs because they are fun and interesting. I do try to strengthen the gene line in weak morphs but these morphs aren't wild type so I am not strengthening the species as a whole (which is not my goal or I would be a field Biologist). This is primarily accomplished by outcrossing lines for morphs (although this helps wild-types too).

Anyways, my point is creating hybrids is no more hurtful (and is probably even helpful) to the species strength than creating morphs such as spiders, enigmas, and translucents with the assorted health risks. If you like hybrids, then my opinion is go for it and post some pictures of your successes!
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Cp3_Pythons
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Cp3_Pythons

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid's your thoughts?   Hybrid's your thoughts? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 6:52 pm

I like them I mean yes I know it's a very controversial subject.. Personally I think Hybrid's are diffrent and unique making them interesting to me and to see If some gene's on other species are compatible would be interesting to find out and prove...
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid's your thoughts?   Hybrid's your thoughts? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 9:19 pm

theres no way hybrids will help any species, for starters tha species will NOT be its orginal species, second, all it will take is one hybrid animal being released to the wrong person and it will wipe out the original species with in a few years, mark my words it is not a good idea by any means. they may be neat to look at and say ohhh look what i made, but it will ruin everything we know about ball pythons and any other snake species you can thing of
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid's your thoughts?   Hybrid's your thoughts? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 9:20 pm

i personally would be super ******* pissed off if someone not knowing sold me a hybrd anything!!
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid's your thoughts?   Hybrid's your thoughts? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 9:44 pm

Agreed, I too would be upset if I bought something incorrectly labeled or not as advertised, barring of course instances where gender is not guaranteed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Cp3_Pythons
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Cp3_Pythons

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid's your thoughts?   Hybrid's your thoughts? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 11:45 pm

I'd be upset If I was sold something that was mis-labled as well I belive anybody would...

Im not looking to sell any offspring If I even attempt to go through with the breeding As it's something Im personally interested in, I look foward to studying the action's, growth, traits and other aspect's of the Hybrids I may or may not produce...
If I do the animals that are breed together in the action's of trying to produce a hybrid wont be breed again period they'll stay here and be pet's the rest of there natural life ( more in with the female as not to reproduce again )
There just something I enjoy I like em Laughing Laughing Nothing's set it stone just something I might be interested in working with in the future.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid's your thoughts?   Hybrid's your thoughts? Empty

Back to top Go down

Hybrid's your thoughts?
Page 1 of 1