VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated..

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Thibo703
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Thibo703

Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated.. Empty
PostSubject: Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated..   Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated.. EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 1:42 pm

I just learned that these can be cross bred. I knew that colubrids could but I guess I hadn't thought of other snakes doing it. (duh now its so obvious..python x python) Anyways I have no idea of if this is easy or difficult to do, is it profitable or if there is even a demand for them. I know that breeding pine and gopher snakes is sometimes frowned upon, is this also? Would it matter which is male and which is female? How about when bred back to each other? Would it produce all Carpalls or like 25% Ball, 50% Carpall, and 25% Capret? Is it dangerous for the female? I love carpet pythons and when they're mixed with balls they seem to look even cooler.

I have a proven breeder male cinnamon left over from my breeding project that's just too gorgeous to sell too low and and happen to be picking up an adult female carpet python tonight.

Any ideas, opinions, or literature on this? Has anyone done it?
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated..   Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated.. EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 2:56 pm

**** hybrids
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated..   Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated.. EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 10:50 pm

Some people love hybrids, some people hate them. Most would never happen on there own. They are not realy for me.
Back to top Go down
Thibo703
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Thibo703

PostSubject: Re: Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated..   Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated.. EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 3:41 am

I see where your coming from with being against hybrids and all and I agree to a certain extent.. however it does sometimes happen naturally.

I was reading up on an issue they're having down in florida with rock pythons breeding with burmese pythons in the everglades and people fearing that it would produce some sort of super aggressive burmese..

On the other hand do you think that all these ball python morphs (ex: Killer bee) would be any more likely to occur in nature than the occasional cross breeding? Yet we make exquisite new color morphs that would NEVER survive in the wild.

IMO If genetics makes it possible then its fair for the pet trade.. for example genetics doesn't allow mules to reproduce but does allow carpondros to do it. Some things have to be left up to mother nature to say yes or no.
If were going to breed animals for the pet trade, and you're not a 100% purist, then how can you support producing these crazy color patterns, and criticize producing a beautiful animal as an abomination because it's not "natural". Isn't the foundation of nature based on letting anything happen?

(I mean absolutely non of this as an argument but as a discussion)
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

PostSubject: Re: Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated..   Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated.. EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 11:44 am

well if you do some research alot not all but alot of ball python morphs where orginally found in the wild, not so much the 3 and 4 gene snakes but there was a good number found in the wild and its the same species. rock pythons and burms were released in florida due to stupid people and storms. thats not a good enough example to base your wanting to produce hybrids on. Produceing lots of crazy colors and patterens in ball pythons in my eyes doesnt hurt the species. just imagine if you went to a pet store or a breeder and thought you were buyinh one thing grow it till breeding age and breed it out and all of a sudden you have a completely different animal. I dont know about you but id be PISSED! All it would take is one person to get theyre hands on a hybrid that didnt really know what the had and it could completly destroy a species.
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated..   Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated.. EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 6:45 pm

People do it a lot. Look around a other forms and you will find both for and aggenst. Its a chose you have to make on your own. If you do it reprsent the snake for what it is. A hybreed.
Back to top Go down
Thibo703
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Thibo703

PostSubject: Re: Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated..   Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated.. EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 7:46 pm

Yea, I decided I'm not doing it.

OF COURSE it would need to be represented accurately!! That's like lying about a snake being het for something but way worse..
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

PostSubject: Re: Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated..   Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated.. EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 8:55 pm

im so very glad you decided against it
Back to top Go down
Thibo703
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Thibo703

PostSubject: Re: Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated..   Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated.. EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 9:39 pm

Oh my life is complete now that you're happy.. Razz haha jk

I actually just really like carpondros a lot more and plan on breeding one for myself sometime in the future. I just cant afford buying one strait up. If I'm lucky and get more than one from a clutch, I'll of course only sell them completely honestly as a hybrid.

That and someone got back to me about buying my cinnamon.
Just wondering, do you guys know how genetics documentation works? I would prefer to only sell a snake I breed with papers..

Some of these are too beautiful:

Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated.. Glasermaleag5
Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated.. 61932DSC06272

Personal favorite because I love those eyes and it resembles the bumble bee morph in ball pythons..

Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated.. 009pb
Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated.. Tumblr_ljz7eiwx9a1qhb1elo1_500
Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated.. 119
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated..   Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated.. Empty

Back to top Go down

Carpalls? (Carpet x Ball python) Easy or Hard? Profitable? Frowned upon? Thoughts Appreciated..
Page 1 of 1