VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sideways tank mod..thoughts?

Go down 
+2
byrd'sballs
Thibo703
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Thibo703
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Thibo703

Sideways tank mod..thoughts? Empty
PostSubject: Sideways tank mod..thoughts?   Sideways tank mod..thoughts? EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 3:09 am

So I've been thinking about doing this for a while and with the cabin fever of this hurricane setting in I decided to go for it. Plus my BP's eyes are starting to haze over a little and I wanted to do this before her shed because I think it might help raise the humidity a bit. I actually entertained the idea of adding a second identical one on top but I'll save that for another day.

Sideways tank mod..thoughts? Img_2810

Blaire investigating her new home.
Sideways tank mod..thoughts? Img_2812

In the picture below, you can see the sphagnum square I added in the back with a heat pad under. I also got rid of the heat lamp because for some reason it was actually cooler in its shadow and didn't seem to be doing much other than heating up the glass. I'll have to take some temperatures tonight.
Sideways tank mod..thoughts? Img_2813

Sideways tank mod..thoughts? Img_2814

Anyways since I'm pretty new to keeping snakes (as my newb status accurately suggests lol) please feel free to make any suggestions or comments. More info is always welcome Smile
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

PostSubject: Re: Sideways tank mod..thoughts?   Sideways tank mod..thoughts? EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 11:27 am

well here it is, the best thing is its your tank and you can set it up any way you want!!! as far as the humidity issues go i dont think it will help but soo much. and with out a doubt the snake will have alot more room to crawl around and chill in. I like it and thought about doing it myself but the only thing i dont like is what happens when you take the screen top off. your gonna have bedding fall out everytime you open it or take the snake out. but other then that looks good!
Back to top Go down
Thibo703
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Thibo703

PostSubject: Re: Sideways tank mod..thoughts?   Sideways tank mod..thoughts? EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 3:57 pm

Yea most people use partially opening plexiglass doors and as nice as that would've been, I didn't have the money for it. So I bought a $1.50 piece of rounded lattice that I sanded baby skin smooth and attached it to the inside of the trim. You can see if you look closely. I also used 1/2in square dowels stuck underneath along the front and back trim pieces to elevate the tank off the surface so the door went on unhindered and the heat mat had some air circulation.
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

PostSubject: Re: Sideways tank mod..thoughts?   Sideways tank mod..thoughts? EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 4:40 pm

nice, well if your happy with it and the snakes happy with it, who in the hell cares?
Back to top Go down
Thibo703
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Thibo703

PostSubject: Re: Sideways tank mod..thoughts?   Sideways tank mod..thoughts? EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 8:43 pm

Eh, it was more sort of just showing the new setup and I'm always open to tips since I'm a little new to the show.
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

PostSubject: Re: Sideways tank mod..thoughts?   Sideways tank mod..thoughts? EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 10:26 pm

well i think it is pretty cool i like tankd that have large floor space and that one has lots more floor space then my 40 gal breeders, good job.
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: Sideways tank mod..thoughts?   Sideways tank mod..thoughts? EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 11:20 pm

I think it looks good, its nice to see one set up like that. Most of my friends have so many animals we keep them in tubs or racks. Yes it works well but you dont get to see the animal vary much. I do the same thing but I keep 12 vision cages that i change out the snakes so i can enjoy them more.
Back to top Go down
Thibo703
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Thibo703

PostSubject: Re: Sideways tank mod..thoughts?   Sideways tank mod..thoughts? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 12:12 am

Yea I hate the idea of racks, but then again sometimes they're the best/only option. Since I only have 2 and they're only to enjoy (and maybe breed a little if I can find a nice stud) this made perfect sense for my situation. Thanks for you inputs Smile
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Sideways tank mod..thoughts?   Sideways tank mod..thoughts? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 8:49 am

I've seen some pretty neat idea's come from tanks. I saw a guy build a rack just the way you have your tank now but about 5-6 high. He used double sided 3M tape and stuck sliding glass door rails on the top and bottom and got glass cut so it had sliding from door. He also used like a 3"x12" piece of metal mesh at the end of the sliding door for air exchange. It's early so I am not sure if I described this right, lol.

Also, if you wanna know the trick to keep your substrate from falling out, go to home depot or lowes. They sell this clear, plastic "L" shaped guard that gets nailed to the corner of walls where drywall bends 90 degrees. It protects it from chips and getting hit. I use that in my enclosures and secure it along the opening. I will try to take a pic in a bit. It comes in two sizes, 1"x1" and 3"x3" I think.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Sideways tank mod..thoughts?   Sideways tank mod..thoughts? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 9:57 am

Actually, the stuff I am using is either 1.25" or 1.75"

Sideways tank mod..thoughts? Trim

Sideways tank mod..thoughts? Trim2
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Thibo703
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Thibo703

PostSubject: Re: Sideways tank mod..thoughts?   Sideways tank mod..thoughts? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 5:28 pm

Oh cool idea on the substrate guard. Yea I used the 3m tape to attach everything (Its diy gold lol).. total it cost me like 5 bucks so I was happy with the mod. I'd actually like a hinged flip top better but I don't have time to engineer that because classes just started. Thanks for all the input everyone..
Back to top Go down
Cp3_Pythons
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Cp3_Pythons

PostSubject: Re: Sideways tank mod..thoughts?   Sideways tank mod..thoughts? EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 12:03 am

Look's SWEET to make it a little easier for opening the tank you could place a peice of plexiglass on roller's so where the screen lid is the plexiglass would sit and be able to slide open ( you'd need 2 peice's of plexiglass one movable the other would be fixed )
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

PostSubject: Re: Sideways tank mod..thoughts?   Sideways tank mod..thoughts? EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 6:50 pm

i like it.... i wish i was as creative as some of you guys, lol.
Back to top Go down
Thibo703
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Thibo703

PostSubject: Re: Sideways tank mod..thoughts?   Sideways tank mod..thoughts? EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 10:06 pm

Haha thats why were here. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sideways tank mod..thoughts?   Sideways tank mod..thoughts? Empty

Back to top Go down

Sideways tank mod..thoughts?
Page 1 of 1