VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Thoughts on titles and dogs?

Go down 
+2
Don
Jabberwocky Dragons
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

Thoughts on titles and dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts on titles and dogs?   Thoughts on titles and dogs? EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 7:14 pm

We're doing the research now for a german shepherd puppy next year and found, what I think, is a great breeder. The parents looked solid, have great temperaments but also that protection drive. They are also both full papered AKCed for whatever that is worth. When researching this breeder on a G Shep forum, they were ripped apart for not having the parents titled. Does this really matter? I want a good family dog that will defend from two legged and four legged predators, not the next Westminster winner.

All of the breeders recommended their were beyond absurd... purchase contracts with requirements such as 5 references, automatic permission perpetually granted to come onto your property and seize the dog if they decide your negligent, etc. These breeders' dogs may be great but I'll take my business elsewhere, thank you.

So to sum up again, what do you guys think about titled parents? Is that the be all, end all of puppy buying? Can anyone recommend a great German Shep breeder within 10-15hrs of VA?
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Don

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on titles and dogs?   Thoughts on titles and dogs? EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 7:44 pm

It is only important if you plan to show. Otherwise, it means nothing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
dj6884
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
dj6884

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on titles and dogs?   Thoughts on titles and dogs? EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 8:42 pm

i have malinios and also train with a trainer that works with working line dogs akc dogs have more hip displaysa being thier bred for the down hill look if your looking for a dog to protect you and your family unless their trained to protect most of them do not not saying they wouldnt protect you just training assures protection also if you would like you are more than welcome to come to our training on the weekend and talk to the trainer and a few people their breed dogs for protection and family dogs, also akc is only for showing so a titaled dog only means the conformation for the breed is correct when they tital, now on the other hand my dogs are doing shutzhund and when they are titaled its because they show extreme obedience and protection work as well and show the disapline to be controlled and only defend if the owner gets attacked or is released on the attacker like i said your more than welcome to come out and talk to the trainer hope this helps
Back to top Go down
dj6884
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
dj6884

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on titles and dogs?   Thoughts on titles and dogs? EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 8:44 pm

also if a dog has protective drive and does not know where to put his protective skills can become dangerous not all the time but it is possible
Back to top Go down
Jaded_Heart
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Jaded_Heart

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on titles and dogs?   Thoughts on titles and dogs? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 12:11 am

coming from a family of very active canine exhibitors, I am not surprised at all how "show people" would react to untitled dogs. But let's be fair, unless you are drowning in money, most normal people couldn't get a good shepherd titled even if the dog was beyond deserving. Politics win at dog shows, and professional Handlers RUN the sport. especially with a popular competitive breed like a shepherd.

in my opinion, if all you want is a healthy sound companion, you don't need a CH. in front of the parents' names! I would focus more on finding out if the parents and grand parents and so on down the line were OFA certified and health tested. the more family history you have of good hips, the less chance you'll have of contending with that issue yourself. MEET the parents, make sure you like their temperaments. personality is half learned, and half inherited.
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/PrymalReptile
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on titles and dogs?   Thoughts on titles and dogs? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 8:25 am

Thanks all for the great responses. I do plan on extensive training and of course researching the health certificates but was out of my depth with the titling. It sounds like titling is not an issue at all, which I thought, but is good to have confirmed by others.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on titles and dogs?   Thoughts on titles and dogs? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 8:56 am

I also want to say just how awesome this forum is, the people on it, and the herp community in general. All of us herpers come from such different backgrounds that one can ask completely off topic questions and quickly receive several great responses cheers .
Back to top Go down
Cp3_Pythons
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Cp3_Pythons

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on titles and dogs?   Thoughts on titles and dogs? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 4:29 pm

The parent's may not be titled but that wouldn't stop the pup from becoming a titled...

Mine's UKC registered and waiting on paper's to be ABKC registered as well neither of his parent's where CH's or GRCH's ( you'll pay more for direct offspring from a GR CH or CH sire or dame and if both are yea... ) IMO any dog with the right training can earn those title's through several ways. I reckon could say it's similar to the parents having papers you'll pay more for a dog registered with a reputable registry than an unpapered one or one that's papered by one of those online databases that register's anything as anything you could probably register a Chihuahua as a mastiff through them....

I don't plan on showing my dog rather put em to work with weight pulls and enter Weight pulls with him.... Smile Maybe show after he's outta that lovable puppy stage... LMAO overall he's great though No real accidents in the house hasn't tore anything up inside as for training he catches on fast but then that why I love the Bully Breeds.... APBT's and American Bully's more so
Back to top Go down
Sissysnakes
Sissysnakes

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on titles and dogs?   Thoughts on titles and dogs? EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 11:43 am

I wouldn't hate on breeders that reserve the right to take their dog back if they feel it is not being taken care of properly. A good breeder is willing to take the dog back at any time and care about the animals they produce for their whole lives. I don't think being titled is necessary when picking a dog, unless you are serious about showing and breeding. If price is an issue, you may consider looking at breeders who have adult dogs for rehoming (unless you are set on a puppy). A lot of breeders will hold a great dog back, and then look for a family to take it once its show career and/or breeding is over. I and my sister in law have both adopted retired breeders, they are great dogs (completely different breed then what you are talking about), but worth looking into.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on titles and dogs?   Thoughts on titles and dogs? Empty

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on titles and dogs?
Page 1 of 1