VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

advice on racks

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mikesupholstery

advice on racks Empty
PostSubject: advice on racks   advice on racks EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 10:46 pm

I'm pretty new to everything, I got my fist bp, got the itch, now 3 BP's , 1 spotted python, and 4 king snakes. 20 gallon tanks started to take over so I switched to 32 qrt tubs for everything over 2'. All bps are good, eating and hiding, but my Cali king and desert king are constantly moving, and restless. They eat with no problem, when they are out they are both calm as can be. But what about they're enclosure? Are they content in tubs like the BP's are or do they need more?

Also, bout the bins in the racks, I got the ambient, got the belly heat, but how do u do a third 90° spot separate from the the othertemps? Or is it necessary with a rack system?

Any advice is appreciated
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Deedle

advice on racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: advice on racks   advice on racks EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 11:07 pm

Colubrids in general are more active than ball pythons, then again most snakes are.

I wouldn't worry about them being active, they can be kept in tubs just fine.

As far as heat in a rack is this a manufactured rack or something your stacking tubs on?
Back to top Go down
mikesupholstery

advice on racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: advice on racks   advice on racks EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 11:10 pm

Now they are split between an entertainment stand and bookshelves built in the wall, I am planning on building plywood racks where tubs can slide in and out
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Deedle

advice on racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: advice on racks   advice on racks EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 11:19 pm

As far as belly heat your using heat tape? And you have 8 - 32 qt tubs?

Were are the probes for thermostats, you currently have ambient temps of ? and you have a hot spot on the belly heat of ?

For me my racks I keep a 88-89 hot spot for ball pythons, cool side is 80-82*

Some of my cages that are bigger (4'+) I have to heat both sides with a probe for a thermostat on each end.
Back to top Go down
Don

advice on racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: advice on racks   advice on racks EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 11:55 pm

Colubrids and ball pythons have different temperature requirements. I cant tell from your post if the setups are different.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
mikesupholstery

advice on racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: advice on racks   advice on racks EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 11:57 pm

I got the stick on heat pads under the pythons, but none under the kings, and the ambient: snakes are in spare room with air vent off and shade pulled up and heat lamps 75 watt aiming down from the top, warms good during day from 80-85, depending on overcast coming thru window, heat tape and thermostats are the next thing in mind, all the wires going everywhere from heat pads can't be good

About king snakes? Do they need belly heat also? From the average of what I have read they don't like it as hot as pythons
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Deedle

advice on racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: advice on racks   advice on racks EmptySat Jun 21, 2014 4:18 am

Thermostats are a must, heat tape is great for tubs but I wouldn't advise running running any heat products without a thermostat.

Back to top Go down
PythonMan89
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

advice on racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: advice on racks   advice on racks EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 5:33 am

Deedle wrote:
Thermostats are a must, heat tape is great for tubs but I wouldn't advise running running any heat products without a thermostat.  

Definitely agree. I've heard about fires and/or animal burns from unregulated heat sources. Just the fear of either happening to me/animals in my care was reason enough to buy a thermostat. I have a herpstat, not sure which one but I bought it with my original bp setup a little over a year and a half ago and I'm currently using it on my leopard gecko tank with no issues whatsoever. I think it's the H100 possibly? Has two nodes for checking temperatures and plugs for two heat sources. Only real issue I've had with mine currently is keeping the thermometer probe secured.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

advice on racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: advice on racks   advice on racks Empty

Back to top Go down

advice on racks
Page 1 of 1