VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

iguana advice

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SageIguana13

iguana advice Empty
PostSubject: iguana advice   iguana advice EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 7:12 pm

Hey everyone!! I have just inherited my first iguana... I've read that they are climbers and can be difficult to tame. I haven't seen any aaggressive behavior from her. I was given a tank with her but i want to give her places to climb... any suggestions on how her habitat should be?

Thanks in advance!
Katie
Back to top Go down
BenVizi
Established Member
Established Member

iguana advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: iguana advice   iguana advice EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 7:41 pm

How big is she?
The link below is pretty thorough on the care for them
http://www.greenigsociety.org/careinfo.htm
Back to top Go down
SageIguana13

iguana advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: iguana advice   iguana advice EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 7:51 pm

Shes just shy of 2ft probably about 18in nose to.tail. oh yea ive been all.over that website and a bunch of others. Ive got her diet down. Now i just need to get her habitat set .
Back to top Go down
ProjectPython
Established Member
Established Member

iguana advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: iguana advice   iguana advice EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 8:21 am

I inherited an adult female in 2005.  She passed away last year but I can tell you a few things that might help.

You need a big enclosure.  Mine was home-built and measured 6' long, 4' deep, and almost 7' high.  I used adhesive tiles on plywood for the floor and glass panes on three sides.  I think the enclosure size is the reason most people do not keep these animals long term.  After she died, I called one of the "junker" companies to come in and demo it and cart away the materials.  It was several hundred pounds of wood, plastic, and glass.  Cost me about $100 to have it done and it was totally worth it.  You won't be able to get away with a tank for very long.

Don't skimp on the UVB light.  These animals are built to lay out in the sun and it helps them absorb nutrients.  Use a good quality light like PowerSun, T-Rex, or the house brand from Big Apple Herp.  You will find various test results on these bulbs and they are not all equal, but for the most part that's ok as long as you change them on a regular basis.  Zoo-Med makes a device that measures the strength of a UVB bulb so that you can monitor the decay of the lamp and know when to change it.

Also don't skimp on the diet.  If you see anything in a store called "Iguana Chow" don't even pick it up.  Even though my green died last year, I still have a spiny-tail (not recommended, never get one) and I have been chopping fresh vegetables every other morning for the last 10 years.  Sometimes you can slack and give them the occasional piece of bread or cooked pasta, but in general, you'll need to get them veggies.  As the animal ages, you can cut feeding down to every other day, and sometimes every 3rd day in the dead of winter.  Varied greens are always good (collard, turnip, dandelion, mustard) and you can save a lot of money by getting them at an Asian grocery store.

The resources that are out there like Melissa Kaplan's stuff are really old but they are really good.  You can get iguana books for cheap on Amazon.  Seems to me that the care info has not changed too much since I got into this 10 years ago.  Best of luck to you.
Back to top Go down
SageIguana13

iguana advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: iguana advice   iguana advice EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 10:56 am

Thanks so much! The person i inherited her from started building her an enclosure the pipes are measured i just have to close it up with screen i think. Yea she came with a bag of what looks like fish food, that im supposed to "soak" in warm water. I did some reading and did away with that, i made her what i call a Sage Salad only cost 6 dollars to make her 6 days. Kale, carrots, bell pepper. I read that 80% of their water intake is from their food and she seems so happy she really likes Mango.

Any advice on handling her? I read to give her a few weeks to acclamate to her new surroundings. I havent seen any aggression just a little jumpy with quick movements.

Thanks in advance.
Katie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

iguana advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: iguana advice   iguana advice Empty

Back to top Go down

iguana advice
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: General Discussion Forums :: Snake/Lizard/Gecko Discussion-
Jump to: