VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Local Pet Shops

Go down 
+11
SilverLs
Don
smd58
Battlefield Reptiles
acl2790
smb2585
Focal
Morta_Dae13
fuzz
Foster Reves
BlackboxStar
15 posters
AuthorMessage
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
BlackboxStar

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 12:34 am

I'd like to talk about local pet shops. Where do you prefer to go, where are the best prices, where do you find the most knowledgeable people, and what stores would you prefer not to give your business to?

There are many pet stores in the area that I wouldn't mind traveling to, but I wouldn't want to spend an hour driving out to a place that sells mostly fish and dog food with a single lizard off in one corner.
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 1:28 am

Where are you located?
Chip
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 1:29 am

Nevermind. I posted before realizing which section I was in. Sorry.
Chip
Back to top Go down
fuzz
Established Member+
Established Member+

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 1:32 pm

I live in Winchester,va theres a family own pet store called winchester aquarium they are pretty good I buy my feeders from them have also bought 2 bearded dragons,an a orange ghost ball python prices are very good they usally have a good assortment of reptiles,birds,and spiders as well fish oh yea the lil fuzzy critters too!The sales people at the aquaruim own pets like they sell.There is also one in Front Royal,Va bout 20mins from here called Noahs Ark I have bought a Bearded dragon from there.They have alot of lizards,Geckos,uromask,few ball pythons,and some awsome corn snakes as well as fish.The staff in both are pretty knowlegable of what they sale an have helped me with some issue I've had.(MITES,an RI in one of my ball pythons) Neither of them sale dogs or cats and great prices on everything!I give them both 2 thums up!
Back to top Go down
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 10:34 am

the animal jungle joe works at i wont buy anything from if a particular guy is working just because he is a jerk. the second time i went there he was working, and first of all he cam up behind me with a tarantula and stuck it in my face as i turned around. he is lucky i think they are cool looking and not afraid of them, because he would have been hurtin and had a dead tarantula. he completely bashes corn snakes saying they are stupid and the worst animal to buy and how much he hates them. he was so rude everytime ive seen him there. he actually talked one customer out of getting a corn. i can understand not liking a certain breed of animal but dont go around bashing them infront of customers its not cool.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 10:41 am

I really look forward to going to Animal Jungle and Pet Paradise.

Just as a reminder, please don't leave reviews of pet stores as it's not permitted. So far everything here is good, but details about past transactions are not. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 10:49 am

i wasnt trying to say anything bad about the store nick i was just saying that one guy. i love that store its the only one i go to for my snakes and my feeders i just ment be ware of that guy haha sorry if it came off badly ^_^
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 10:54 am

It was fine. I just don't want details about specific transactions (good or bad). No harm here, just had to say it because I haven't totally defined the rule on this yet. Sorry for the interuption Smile
Back to top Go down
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 10:55 am

haha ok i just wanted to make sure i didnt do something wrong or made anyone mad.
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 12:53 pm

We deal with Pet Paradise usually and sometimes Animal Jungle.
Back to top Go down
acl2790
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
acl2790

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 2:49 pm

Pet store reviews are not permitted?
I would stay far away from Petsmart. They have a no feeder policy. If they even suspect you are buying a rodent for a snake they will refuse service....
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 3:28 pm

Yes, as of right now they are not permitted. Review threads only seem to lead to full out war here. Too many people like specific places, too many people hate certain places, that's all fine, but this is not the place to leave positive or negative feedback in regards to transactions conducted with other members, businesses and even pet stores.

There's no way to verify what is said to be true or libel. There's no way to identify who is posting this info. If you want to give specific details about a store, that's fine, but not about specific transactions. Yes, it's probably a stupid rule, but it prevents losing members and reduces stress in my life. So far every review thread that has been posted has led to arguing, foul language and false accusations.

www.FaunaClassifieds.com is the best place to post national reviews and inquiries on specific people or places.

Back to top Go down
Battlefield Reptiles
Battlefield Reptiles

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 8:07 pm

I personally wouldnt buy anything at pet shops unless you want to buy mites
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 9:55 pm

Battlefield Reptiles wrote:
I personally wouldnt buy anything at pet shops unless you want to buy mites

I'de have to say that I've gotten mite from pet store and private breeders. But better quality snakes from private breeders.
Back to top Go down
Battlefield Reptiles
Battlefield Reptiles

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 10:36 pm

I probablly should rephrase. The petstores around me have specials on mites lol. I dont want to bash areas i dont know about.
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 10:49 pm

It happens everywhere. Buy a snake, no extra charge for the passenger.
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptyWed May 29, 2013 10:01 pm

Thank you Don.

Last edited by smd58 on Wed May 29, 2013 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Don

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptyWed May 29, 2013 10:05 pm

Sorry folks, I just deleted a post. We are not the BOI. If you have something to say about a transaction or business please take it to faunaclassified's BOI.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
SilverLs
SilverLs

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptyWed May 29, 2013 11:21 pm

I love Pet Paradise (:
Back to top Go down
recessive

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptyWed May 29, 2013 11:22 pm

you ought to go ahead and delete the whole topic, if thats the case. just read the thread. many people said about the same thing I did. Whoever "we" is that you referred to, is not you, and nothing i have said or any one else said in here was personal towards you, nor would it be because not many people care if you even exist or not.

Be fair firm and consistent, if you are to be a forum moderator. I am the owner of 2 forum websites, that are actually alive and have more than 6 users who post. One rule that we have is that the moderators not act like things users say are personal towards them, when they are not. Without the users you will just sit here and fap by yourself, which is basically whats happening on VA herps. This is one of the most inactive forums I have ever come across tbh. Shroomotpia.net has more activity than this place (wtf is shroomotopia.net?)
I assume its because of moderators here using the delete button and ban button unnecessarily.

Do you do that to your customers too? What if i came in your store and told you that you smell like a ****** sweaty ****, and if you shut your mouth and eat it i will buy a snake? Would you have an iron *** then? I bet you would still have a humming bird *** just like the ******* that work in animal jungle and treat their customers like ****, like a forum moderator treats the users when they wish to be in a position of power that they will never have in life.

I bet this gets deleted quick too. Peace out to this ***** website, what a **** hole
Back to top Go down
recessive

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptyWed May 29, 2013 11:25 pm

oh and get some real forum software. Mybb and other opensource software is real easy to exploit, plus it look horrible
Back to top Go down
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
BlackboxStar

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptyWed May 29, 2013 11:34 pm

Holy crap that didn't take long. He joined last week and already he's got a lot to say.

Well, sure glad the garbage puts itself out.

Anyways, I would like to take a moment and thank the moderators of this sub. I've been here a little longer than a week, I've watched the ebbs and flows of this forum and I've seen ******** come and go. Keep doing what you're doing. Those who matter appreciate you.

Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptyWed May 29, 2013 11:48 pm

Seems like someone took it personel. But I agree with blackboxstar. Good work.
Back to top Go down
SilverLs
SilverLs

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptyWed May 29, 2013 11:57 pm

I can see where he is coming from though.. He said " Pet Paradise, ftw, down with Animal Jungle," that's it. Where as you have someone else up there saying :

"I would stay far away from Petsmart. They have a no feeder policy."
AFTER THIS WAS POSTED :
"Just as a reminder, please don't leave reviews of pet stores as it's not permitted."

WTF is that? Looks like a review to me! It was absolutely personal. Every comment about any pet shop is a review. He is right, don't just delete his post delete it all.
Even saying "I love this place or this place is knowledgeable," << review, but wouldn't get deleted now would it.
This place is ***NAUGHTY WORD***, and I stick by my husband.
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptyThu May 30, 2013 12:33 am

You all have to understand that a good portion of the users of these forums work at said stores, so it does make it personal indirectly, that's why they said keep that stuff away from here. Also my opinion and yours may be completely different, and on this occasion I do disagree..
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Zs.Reptile.House2013
SilverLs
SilverLs

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptyThu May 30, 2013 12:40 am

This whole topic is bunk, it's all reviews & should be deleted. Not just one post.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptyThu May 30, 2013 8:30 am

Its simple. If you don't like the forum or those who help run it, get out. It really is that simple. Don't sit there and tell people how to do their job. I think Don and the rest of the moderators do an excellent job at running this forum.

Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptyThu May 30, 2013 9:18 am

recessive wrote:
I assume its because of moderators here using the delete button and ban button unnecessarily.

Yeah, you are assuming wrong. I, as in me, have banned four accounts, I believe. One by request, one that is a known scammer, and two people like you that are rude and can't control you language anymore than a twelve year old. We may not have many members, but the members we have do not act like this and I will take any hit necessary to ensure it remains this way. This is an educational forum and these little rants and foul mouth behavior will not be accepted. I guess a warning is not needed in hopes you keep your promise of not returning. Thanks.

Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptyThu May 30, 2013 9:37 am

SilverLs wrote:
I can see where he is coming from though.. He said " Pet Paradise, ftw, down with Animal Jungle," that's it. Where as you have someone else up there saying :

AFTER THIS WAS POSTED :
"Just as a reminder, please don't leave reviews of pet stores as it's not permitted."

WTF is that? Looks like a review to me! It was absolutely personal. Every comment about any pet shop is a review. He is right, don't just delete his post delete it all.
Even saying "I love this place or this place is knowledgeable," << review, but wouldn't get deleted now would it.
This place is ******, and I stick by my husband.

I agree with part of what you are getting at. This place isn't even two years old yet and we are learning through trial and error. I would not consider his post a review. It was rude and insulting to several good standing members of this forum.

If either of you choose to return, please remember to watch your language. This is not craigslist or facebook. The next time is a perma-ban.
Back to top Go down
Don

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptyThu May 30, 2013 10:27 am

Since I deleted the post, I'll chime in. I viewed the post as derogatory towards a local business. This is not the place to slam businesses or people. The forum is, as Nick said, designed to be educational.

As for heavy moderation, I can count on my fingers the number of posts that I've edited since becoming a moderator. When there is foul language, I edit. As many of you know, I am asked by a local middle school to teach on genetics and conservation. During those classes, I tell the kids that VAHERPS (and the VA Herpetological Society) is a good place to learn. At shows that I vend, I have invited many kids to this site who want to learn about reptiles. We keep it family friendly for them, I've promised their parents that we maintain a family friendly site.

Neither Nick nor I are full time forum administrators. We do this to give back to the community and provide a good place for local reptile enthusiasts to have a place to get together and learn. We moderate with a light hand and believe that moderation should be rare. However, sometimes it is necessary.

Now, back to regular programming......

Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops EmptyThu May 30, 2013 10:31 am

SilverLs wrote:
Where as you have someone else up there saying :

AFTER THIS WAS POSTED :

Also wanted to note, yes you are very correct. I made two posts in this thread stating what was policy and warned two people on how I felt and he STILL didn't take into consideration what I was asking. Thanks for pointing that out.
Back to top Go down
mamasmarco
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
mamasmarco

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: editions, advanced, kids, aldults, personalities..   Local Pet Shops EmptyFri May 31, 2013 3:16 am

Wow... conversations like these are not good for anyone. I personally think, that this is a website used by people
who enjoy talking to eachother, sell something or barter and trade. It's not the most advanced site as we all know
that kingsnake.com and fauna classifieds are far more detailed.

VAHerps.com is something that's been built up to connect people.It totally worked out and nobody has ever complained
about the maintenance or any restrictions. When somebody uses (intentionally or not) foul language, it'll be edited, you'll
either get a MP or a public "don't do that" and that's it. No harsh feelings, let's move on. People have their reasons for
certain rules and i don't question them. There is nothing questionable going on here, just as it should be.

I love it here and wouldn't want anything to change. Advanced or not, it works this way.

ADDITION:

By the way, i appreciate all the efforts to keep this website the way it is. This is a website where everybody has something
to pitch in and even if it's a funny picture with a butt crack showing or an animated dinosaur in an empty glastank..
Back to top Go down
http://www.hamptonroadscritters.com
Sponsored content

Local Pet Shops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Pet Shops   Local Pet Shops Empty

Back to top Go down

Local Pet Shops
Page 1 of 1