VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live...

Go down 
+2
Focal
rocialhabit
6 posters
AuthorMessage
rocialhabit
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
rocialhabit

Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live... Empty
PostSubject: Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live...   Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live... EmptyFri Sep 04, 2015 8:40 am

Hello everybody!

So my brother is really into spiders and he was looking at buying a tarantula. Well the only problem is that we live in Chesterfield county and it is illegal to own or sell. I do not get why it should be this way. I can own a myriad of other creatures but a tarantula is not one of them. Anyone else out there come across something like this?

Facepalm
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live...   Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live... EmptyFri Sep 04, 2015 10:45 am

I'm not sure about other states but VA is pretty weird when it comes to regulations from city to city or county to county. They usually do not make any sense.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Deedle

PostSubject: Re: Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live...   Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live... EmptyThu Sep 10, 2015 7:38 am

rocialhabit wrote:
Hello everybody!

So my brother is really into spiders and he was looking at buying a tarantula. Well the only problem is that we live in Chesterfield county and it is illegal to own or sell. I do not get why it should be this way. I can own a myriad of other creatures but a tarantula is not one of them. Anyone else out there come across something like this?

Facepalm

Chesterfield County

Sec. 4-3. - Wild or exotic animals.
(a)
A wild or exotic animal means any (i) live monkey (nonhuman primate), raccoon, skunk, wolf, squirrel, fox, leopard, panther, tiger, lion, lynx or any other warm-blooded mammal, (ii) poisonous snake, (iii) tarantula, (iv) other poisonous animal normally found in the wild, or (v) any member of the crocodilian family including, but not limited to, alligators, crocodiles, caimans, and gavials. Nonpoisonous snakes, ferrets, rabbits, laboratory rats, gerbils, hamsters and other similar small mammals, and other domesticated animals which have been bred in captivity are not wild or exotic animals.
(b)

No person shall keep or permit to be kept on his premises any wild or exotic animal as a pet, for display, or for exhibition purposes, whether gratuitously or for a fee. This prohibition shall not apply to performing animal exhibitions, circuses, veterinary clinics, or indoor/outdoor recreational facilities which have proper zoning and licenses from the government; provided however, that no person shall exhibit or display any wild or exotic animal in a manner so that persons other than their handlers can pet, fondle or come in direct physical contact with them.

Silly laws
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Deedle

PostSubject: Re: Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live...   Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live... EmptyThu Sep 10, 2015 7:52 am

Technically I could keep Venomous Snakes just not poisonous ones.  (And yes poisonous snakes to exist, Rhabdophis Tigrinus aka Tiger Keelback).
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live...   Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live... EmptyThu Sep 10, 2015 1:24 pm

Looks like you could technically keep apes too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live...   Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live... EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 8:10 am

Apes are primates, so that is listed as something you can't keep. I'm actually all for the keeping of just about any animal in captivity with the exception of most primates and elephants. I think its ridiculous to make things like tarantulas, scorpions, and such illegal. They wouldn't survive in this climate if they got loose.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Deedle

PostSubject: Re: Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live...   Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live... EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 8:36 am

ClarkeReptiles wrote:
Apes are primates, so that is listed as something you can't keep. I'm actually all for the keeping of just about any animal in captivity with the exception of most primates and elephants. I think its ridiculous to make things like tarantulas, scorpions, and such illegal. They wouldn't survive in this climate if they got loose.

And Big Cats, while I love them 99% of the people that get them shouldn't
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live...   Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live... EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 10:31 am

I think it depends. On the exotic, more demanding species, there should be an permit process. You have to intern with someone that keeps them and complete a certain number of hours. Then you should have your own enclosure inspected and be tested prior to receiving your permit. I want a serval.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
rocialhabit
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
rocialhabit

PostSubject: Re: Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live...   Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live... EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 2:40 pm

ClarkeReptiles wrote:

I completely agree!
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live...   Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live... EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 2:46 pm

Deedle wrote:

Chesterfield County

Sec. 4-3. - Wild or exotic animals.
(a)
A wild or exotic animal means any (i) live monkey (nonhuman primate)
Silly laws

ClarkeReptiles wrote:

Code specifies "live monkey" as what is specifically banned and then clarifies live monkeys as nonhuman primates. Another way to look at it would be this way... if it read "live monkey (phylum chordata)" instead, would all animals within phylum chordata be banned? I have no doubt that they thought they were trying to ban all primates but any decent defense lawyer would rip them apart if they actually tired to forcibly seize someone's ape (in this very bizarre theoretical scenario).

I posted this on another forum but I think it's pertinent here as well for a few posts.

While I understand where you are coming from, understand that supporting regulations/bans on any animals gives support to banning ALL animals including ball pythons, bearded dragons, geckos, etc.. There is a concerted movement out there to ban virtually every type of animal from ownership. They see no difference between a ball python and rectic. Or your corn snake and a tiger. This is already policy in many cities around the country. We can see this "mission creep" taking effect with the Lacey Act as more and more animals are added.

Exotic animal owners can stand strong together or be divided and conquered as special interest after special interest gets taken down. Regulations is a meaningless term that very quickly becomes an outright ban. Hours, licensing, etc. is all a means to ban and control. Right now there are some exotic animals whose "regulations" entails being a licensed member of the AZA which is a essentially a ban on private ownership. Don't give HSUS, PETA, and their ilk more ammunition to take your animals away.

Colin Weaver of East Coast Reptile Breeders gives an excellent explanation of this tactic here:
http://ballpythonbreeder.com/2011/11...k-be-a-lesson/
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
CM5150
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live...   Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live... EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 8:25 pm

It's a simple case of a few make things more difficult for others. I agree their should be a permit process and I would take it one step further and add a regestration function as well. The problem is sometimes the wrong people get an exotic and either care for it improperly or end up having it escape or let it go thus all the regulations. Invasive species can have a huge effect on indigenous animals. Take Florida for example, I live their for over 20 years and have seen more exotic animals loose than you can imagine. Everything from Cobras to macaws.

I by no means want to limit ownership of exotics as I have always enjoyed caring for them myself but I do understand why some municipalities restrict ownership.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live...   Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live... Empty

Back to top Go down

Apparently it is illegal to own a tarantula where I live...
Page 1 of 1