VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Could owning a reptile become illegal in Virginia?

Go down 
+2
Stray
David_Means
6 posters
AuthorMessage
David_Means
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Could owning a reptile become illegal in Virginia? Empty
PostSubject: Could owning a reptile become illegal in Virginia?   Could owning a reptile become illegal in Virginia? EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 10:50 pm

Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Stray

PostSubject: Re: Could owning a reptile become illegal in Virginia?   Could owning a reptile become illegal in Virginia? EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 1:48 am

Thanks for the share. This is definitely a scary headline to see :c
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/siobhan.sprouse
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Could owning a reptile become illegal in Virginia?   Could owning a reptile become illegal in Virginia? EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 12:32 pm

Good article but the related links below it are counter productive.

Also, $25 million, wow. Didn't know we produced that much and glad to know its holding some weight.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: Could owning a reptile become illegal in Virginia?   Could owning a reptile become illegal in Virginia? EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 1:03 pm

Its unbelievable how people can give up rights so easily to feel safe.
Back to top Go down
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
leftoflarry

PostSubject: Re: Could owning a reptile become illegal in Virginia?   Could owning a reptile become illegal in Virginia? EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 2:48 pm

One thing that I will be fighting against is this idea that public perception should dictate legislation. It seems as if some in the group are not interested in statistics and data, but what the public feels should be the way to do things. I strongly oppose that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vaherpsociety.com
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Could owning a reptile become illegal in Virginia?   Could owning a reptile become illegal in Virginia? EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 5:03 pm

Unfortunately, elected officials will stand on whichever side will generate the most votes, regardless of principles. It really needs to be stressed that removing 25 million from our fragile economy will have a devastating effect on many voters. Not only effecting those directly tied to the reptile community, but also all the supporting businesses that supply reptile keepers with food items, caging, vet care, climate control products, etc.
Back to top Go down
David_Means
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Could owning a reptile become illegal in Virginia?   Could owning a reptile become illegal in Virginia? EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 7:22 pm

The Dangerous Animal Initiative will hold a public meeting in mid-late October. It is very important that anyone in Virginia that owns a reptile and wishes to continue owning any reptile be at that meeting. The workgroup is looking at what factors may make exotic/wild animals "dangerous", and not just to humans, but to Virginia. They will be looking at how these animals can harm humans directly (bite, crush, constrict, other) but also indirectly (disease, parasites, other). They will also be looking at how these animals can harm the ecosystem and agriculture in Virginia directly (invasive, other) and indirectly (disease, parasites, other). What will this mean to reptile keepers? All reptiles will be considered, not just venomous and large constrictors. What will this mean to other exotic/wild animal keepers? Any non-domesticated animal may be considered (non-domesticated: any animal other than domesticated dogs, cats, and agricultural animals). This could mean some birds, aquarium fish, invertebrates, amphibians, small and large mammals could be restricted or banned. I've already heard though some of my contacts that the animal rights groups will have a great number of people attending the public meeting, we need to be sure that our numbers are far greater. We have a chance to stop this before it gets to the next legislative session. As soon as the date is posted, I'll update everyone.
I'm hoping to find volunteers all over Virginia to help with carpooling, so that people without rides or don't want to make the drive alone will more easily be able to attend the public meeting. I'm also looking for volunteers to be liaisons, speakers and leaders, as well as volunteers to assist with origination, coming up with talking points, and spreading the word. If you would like to help, need more information, or want email updates, please email me at: virginiaexoticban@gmail.com

Thanks, David Means
Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Stray

PostSubject: Re: Could owning a reptile become illegal in Virginia?   Could owning a reptile become illegal in Virginia? EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 7:50 pm

Please, please keep us updated on when that meeting is!! If I can make it to i, I most certainly will!! :c
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/siobhan.sprouse
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Could owning a reptile become illegal in Virginia?   Could owning a reptile become illegal in Virginia? Empty

Back to top Go down

Could owning a reptile become illegal in Virginia?
Page 1 of 1