VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice

Go down 
+2
Focal
Brianjr03
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Brianjr03

New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice Empty
PostSubject: New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice   New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 7:47 pm

Ok, so I'm new to the whole ball python thing and wanting to get a lil advice. Currently these are the snakes I have:

1.1 dbl het albino pied
3.1 pastel
0.2 normal
1.0 norm that was sold to me as het albino
1.0 albino
1.0 ghost
1.0 spider
1.0 pinstripe
1.0 dinker

I'm looking to start doing some breeding and was looking to see what would be best to breed to what. The dbl hets, what kind of hatchlings could I expect out of them? What are the odds of getting pieds out of them their first time breeding? Also, right now my only female big enough to breed this year is my normal, what would be good to put with her for this year? The males I could use would be 2 pastels, the dinker, and the dbl het. What would you recommend putting with her?
Thanks in advance for any help!!!
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice   New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 8:46 pm

I would put either the pastels or the dinker with your normal girl.

With the dhet albino pieds, I think its one in sixteen for an albino pied. You might gets some albinos poss het pied, some pieds poss het albino, and a bunch of poss double hets. Your chance of a pied is one in four.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Brianjr03

PostSubject: Re: New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice   New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 9:36 pm

Ok. I'll put one of my pastels with my normal. And I'm not expecting to see an albino pied too soon out of her, lol. But I'd really like to see some pieds come from her. Even if they are low white. And also, would my chances of a pied be better takin my dbl het male to a pied female?
Back to top Go down
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
zues

PostSubject: Re: New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice   New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 9:45 pm

Probably not what you want to hear but you need to get rid of a bunch of males. You have 10 males and 4 females. It should be exactly opposite. You will end up feeding and cleaning those males for a few years waiting on females to get breeding size and never breed them. By the time your females are up to size you will probably acquire a double or triple gene male.
Back to top Go down
Brianjr03

PostSubject: Re: New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice   New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 10:21 pm

Yeah trust me, I know. I've been tryin to get rid of some males, but every bodies.... Maled.... Out. Lol. That and the girlfriend gets attached and doesn't want to let them go. Haha. Out of that group, what would you recommend keeping? And just to keep in mind I'm still picking up snakes, buying breeder females.
Back to top Go down
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
zues

PostSubject: Re: New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice   New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 10:50 pm

3.0 pastel
1.0 norm that was sold to me as het albino
1.0 albino
1.0 ghost
1.0 spider
1.0 pinstripe
1.0 dinker

If it were me I would get rid of all 3 pastels, het albino, spider, pinstripe, and dinker. You don't really have enough females to try and prove out a dinker unless it's out of this world. You have and albino so you will never use a het albino. I would replace the rest with a bumblebee or lemon blast. If you wanted you could keep which ever of the spider or pinstripe that were not in your combo male but you don't really have the females to justify it. Something to remember when first starting out about males. Just because it's cheap doesn't make it a good deal. You may choose to keep a few of these as pets and that's cool I was just addressing the breeding angle you were asking about.
Back to top Go down
Brianjr03

PostSubject: Re: New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice   New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 11:15 pm

Zues sent you a pm, and I understand what you were addressing with what you were saying. And I was actually looking into breeding the spider and pastel then to try and make bumblebees. Then go on to try and make killer bees and lemonblasts my self with my pin and spider. As I said, I'm still currently buying females or even trying to trade.
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
bcr229

PostSubject: Re: New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice   New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 12:29 am

Brianjr03 wrote:
That and the girlfriend gets attached and doesn't want to let them go. Haha.
Bear in mind this may also be a problem with the hatchlings, because they are just so danged cute!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
Cp3_Pythons
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Cp3_Pythons

PostSubject: Re: New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice   New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 3:29 pm

I agree with Zues I'd get rid of all the males and get a nice triple or quad gene male.... Those males will cost you more in feeders than their actually worth... while waiting to acquire more females. Sometimes it not about the size of one's collection but the genes that are in it.
Back to top Go down
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

PostSubject: Re: New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice   New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 8:52 pm

Produce some super pastels (pastel x pastel). They are always a good ingredient. If you don't want to keep them then you can get decent money selling them to put into something else.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice   New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 8:57 pm

^ that's a good idea too.  If I had my way, all females would either be visual recessives or supers. Then you can splurge on a nice multi gene male or two.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

PostSubject: Re: New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice   New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 12:07 am

Exactly..... my plans are multiple super pastel X fire females (guess this is still a firefly with super pastel instead of just pastel) to be bred to whatever I can afford to breed to..lol
Back to top Go down
Brianjr03

PostSubject: Re: New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice   New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 4:09 pm

Well I down sized a lot and changed up what I have a little too. Now I don't know what to breed to what, or what I should get to breed with what I have. As of now I have:

1.0 bumblebee
1.0 yellow blush albino
1.1 lesser hatchlings
1.1 dbl het alb pie
0.2 normal
0.1 pastel

I have my yellow blush thrown in with my one normal, and I was wondering if it was worth it or not to throw my dbl het in with my other normal. Pastel won't be ready til next season. Or am I just wasting the year by breeding those four together?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice   New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice Empty

Back to top Go down

New to ball python breeding, need a lil advice
Page 1 of 1