VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

130v vs. 120v halogen lights

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

130v vs. 120v halogen lights Empty
PostSubject: 130v vs. 120v halogen lights   130v vs. 120v halogen lights EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 12:32 pm

I ordered new 120v 50 watt halogen light bulbs for our dragon adult enclosures and hatchling racks (~$3/bulb shipped on Amazon btw) and received 130v bulbs instead. After doing research, it looks like the bulbs produce about 25% less light, in return for about 300% longer life when used in a 120v socket.

Of course, with the herp application, we care less about the light and more about the heat output. They are able to heat adult enclosures while using only 5% more power (according to the herpstat) but cannot adequately heat the hatchling racks. I am considering keeping them for the adult enclosures and ordering new 120v for the hatchling racks.

Any thoughts on using 130v halogen bulbs for heating? In anybody's experience do they really get 300% more life than the regular 120v bulbs?

If there's no negative feedback on these, I want to bring 130v halogen bulbs forward as an option for those of us using heatlamps to heat our herps, just be sure to that they put off enough heat as it is less than the 120v version.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: 130v vs. 120v halogen lights   130v vs. 120v halogen lights EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 2:08 pm

The 300% increase in life sounds a little too good to be true.

A 50 Watt bulb regardless of the voltage uses 50 Watts of power. This power is dissipated as heat and light. If the 130v bulb produces less light then it must produce more heat, so that the total dissipation of energy is still equal 50 Watts.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: 130v vs. 120v halogen lights   130v vs. 120v halogen lights EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 5:05 pm

I'm not fully sure about how they work but my understanding is that incandescent and halogen bulbs produce heat and the light is just a beneficial but very inefficient effect of heating the filament. So the light and heat are tied together, as one goes down (or up) so does the other. I could be mistaken though.

Here's an explanation I found:

"130 volt Halogen and incandescent light bulbs are manufactured with a thick filament designed to withstand a theoretical 130 volts. I say “theoretical” because almost all homes in the US operate on only 110-120 volts. The thicker filament in a 130 volt bulb, when operated on typical 110-120 line voltage, provides less resistance to the electrical current flowing through the filament. As a result, the bulb burns cooler, uses less energy (watts), and lasts longer; however, as a trade-off, the bulb is also slightly dimmer and has a lower (more yellow) color temperature."

from- Benjamin Rorie at http://blog.1000bulbs.com/why-buy-130-volt-light-bulbs/
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: 130v vs. 120v halogen lights   130v vs. 120v halogen lights EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 7:00 pm

It makes sense if the 130v bulb uses less wattage (power) than a standard bulb.

Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: 130v vs. 120v halogen lights   130v vs. 120v halogen lights EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 7:32 pm

They will last longer because of the thicker filament. I'm not sure about overall life, but they will handle power surges and temporary increase of voltage better. I have heard about people using higher voltage bulbs in lamps that go through bulbs frequently. I imagine you can get the same results, and it will be more cost efficient, by running a 120 on a dimmer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 130v vs. 120v halogen lights   130v vs. 120v halogen lights Empty

Back to top Go down

130v vs. 120v halogen lights
Page 1 of 1