VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Red lights

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tertius
Tertius

Red lights Empty
PostSubject: Red lights   Red lights EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 11:51 am

I have a question about red lights, such as infrared lights. I have been using the Exo Terra blue night light bulb, but two nights ago the filament broke. So the next day, I got the All Living Things Infrared night light (the bulb is shaped and acts more like a basking light.) I put the bulb in, at first it melted almost entirely through one side of the lighting system I have, because it was a spotlight night light. I took the bulb out and put it where the basking light was. The light was now on the left side of the cage, but the lizards immediately ran to the other side. They had trouble going to sleep, so I quickly made a hid box from cutting two plastic cups in half. They crawled into the hide "box" and slept. So after all that, here is my question, can bearded dragons see red, like the red light, or was it just that the infrared light was twice as bright as the one before, or maybe it just appeared that they couldn't sleep and they were just getting settled in. I've had these beardies for about 6 months and I've never had to make a hide box for them to sleep in, they've always been able to just go to sleep. Any information would be great, thank you.
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

Red lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red lights   Red lights EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 12:04 pm

I'm really not sure about bearded dragons seeing the red light I only keep balls and I use red lights as a 24 hour heat device and use florescent blubs for " daytime" light. But I am pretty sure they were just running around getting settled in after the noise and fuss of changing lights and what not
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

Red lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red lights   Red lights EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 2:27 pm

Most reptiles can see color very well (with the exception of snakes, I believe)

Red bulbs are often used at night because they don't seem to bother the animals. But there is a difference between a red bulb, and an infrared bulb. The visible light spectrum includes everything from red to violet- infrared is below red and is invisible to us, and ultraviolet is above violet and is also invisible to us.

Either way, a red light at night doesn't seem to bother many reptiles. It seems to have bothered your lizards, but they should get use to it in time.

And on your lighting system invest in a good vented and ceramic fixture, don't care how much you love your animals don't burn down the house with a cheap fixture.
Back to top Go down
Tertius
Tertius

Red lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red lights   Red lights EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 6:29 pm

Thanks guys, your comments have really helped out a lot.
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

Red lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red lights   Red lights EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 6:33 pm

No problem
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Red lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red lights   Red lights EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 1:47 am

How cool does the room get at night? While you do not want to let them get too cold most herps however do fine with a nighttime temperature drop.
Chip
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

Red lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red lights   Red lights EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 1:56 am

Yea but most night time drops aren't very extreme. Usually only 10 to 15 degrees and the difference between heat light and no heat light could be a 25 to 35 degrees and IMO that is two much. Tstats should also be used but that's a whole nother thread.
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

Red lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red lights   Red lights EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 1:58 am

And of coarse it really depends on the room temp which usually isn't above 72 unless you have a dedicated reptile room.
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Red lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red lights   Red lights EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 1:24 pm

I use a red heat lamp (from Lowes) at night on the leachie enclosure because it is in a cooler (low 70's) room. The rest of the reptiles are in an upstairs loft and it stays around 83 F during the day with about a 5 to 10 degree drop at night, depending on the season. The only supplemental heating that I use in that room is on one enclosure (viper boa).
Chip
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

Red lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red lights   Red lights EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 3:01 pm

Oh well sounds like its OK but I keep my balls at a huger temp then 83 even when I breed em
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Red lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red lights   Red lights Empty

Back to top Go down

Red lights
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: General Discussion Forums :: Snake/Lizard/Gecko Discussion-
Jump to: