VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

why do people prefur ASF?

Go down 
+6
zues
smb2585
Don
Focal
ClarkeReptiles
ax2austin
10 posters
AuthorMessage
ax2austin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ax2austin

why do people prefur ASF? Empty
PostSubject: why do people prefur ASF?   why do people prefur ASF? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 2:29 pm

whats the reasoning why so many people prefur ASF over any other rodent out there for feeders? just curious.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: why do people prefur ASF?   why do people prefur ASF? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 2:32 pm

From what I've heard they are the ball python's natural prey item. Apparently they also breed very quickly as they can usually support more offspring than a rat colony. They also never get too big for a ball python.

I've personally never fed an ASF to my pythons, but if I ever got into breeding my own feeders again, I might give ASF a go.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: why do people prefur ASF?   why do people prefur ASF? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 2:35 pm

ASF's work great for picky or non-eating ball pythons. I have heard, not experienced, that sometimes they won't go back after being fed ASF's for a period of time. Selling a ball python that only eats ASF's is definitely harder than a rat eater because not everyone can get ASF's but suppliers are growing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
ax2austin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ax2austin

PostSubject: Re: why do people prefur ASF?   why do people prefur ASF? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 2:39 pm

roughly how big are they in size compared to a dollar bill. i know nothing about them lol
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: why do people prefur ASF?   why do people prefur ASF? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 2:45 pm

I would guess a full grown ASF to be equal to a small rat. I'll have to double check that when I go to my brothers house.

I'll try to find a sizing chart

http://www.sapphiretigress.com/Softfurs.htm
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: why do people prefur ASF?   why do people prefur ASF? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 2:47 pm

Size
Head/body length 15 cm; tail length 11 cm; adult weight 60g.

http://www.rcreptiles.com/blog/index.php/2007/05/14/meet_the_african_soft_furred_rat
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: why do people prefur ASF?   why do people prefur ASF? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 2:49 pm

ASF's do not outgrow Ball Pythons like rats do. They have very large litters of babies. They are small enough when born that very small ball pythons can eat them. I had a boob baby that was only 29 grams. I fed him ASF pinks and he is healthy, growing and eating mice and rat pinks today. ASF's do not smell near as bad as rats or mice. So, they are better if you keep your colony in the house. I've also heard from breeders that ball pythons fed ASF's grow faster than on rats or mice.

I've heard the thought that Balls on ASFs will not switch back, but I have not had that problem. My adults have been fed on ASFs, then I decided to go back to rats and they all made the switch just fine. I'm trending back to ASFs now and they don't seem to mind. I feed my baby BPs that I plan on selling mice then switch them over to rat pinks. In addition, the babies that I sell I also will feed them F/T every once in a while. Most of the babies I sell will eat just about anything. The only reason I don't feed the babies for sale ASF's is because of this misconception. My hold back babies are fed ASF's and if I run low they get rats. None of them refuse to eat rats.

I'm sure there is the occasional ball python that will not eat anything but a single preferred food (ASF's, Rats or Mice), but I do not believe that it is as common as many fear. The only down side of ASF's is that they grow very very slowly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
ax2austin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ax2austin

PostSubject: Re: why do people prefur ASF?   why do people prefur ASF? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 3:01 pm

hmmm may have to consider a breedin project. rats are gettin expensive around her. like 6.99 a pop.
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: why do people prefur ASF?   why do people prefur ASF? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 3:10 pm

We can build you a rack for breeding if interested lol. My boyfriend has started building them, 6 or 5 tier... The second set are coming out better than the first set. Can take a small deposit to build and hold for XMas too Laughing

Once my parent's garage is done we are going to start breeding rats... maybe we will have to make a rack of ASF ?
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: why do people prefur ASF?   why do people prefur ASF? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 3:56 pm

If you do make a rack for ASF's do not use the 1/2 inch wire. The little ones can squeeze through that hole. You need to use either 1/3 or 1/4 inch wire. You don't want those things running loose!
Back to top Go down
ax2austin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ax2austin

PostSubject: Re: why do people prefur ASF?   why do people prefur ASF? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 4:06 pm

smb2585- yea that may be something i could be interested in. probably a snake rack with the same set up though if thats not to much to ask. gonna have to think about it though a bit. im movin in march to hopefully a house with a garage, im currently in a apartment so rat breeding is on hold till i can start some wheres other then inside my small apartment. and i will remember that about the wire screening.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: why do people prefur ASF?   why do people prefur ASF? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 4:24 pm

Also, those suckers can jump, especially when they are young. I even had one jump out of a five gallon bucket once.
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: why do people prefur ASF?   why do people prefur ASF? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 4:28 pm

OK _ just PM me or e-mail me smb2585@gmail.com and we can work something out for you.

Thanks for the heads up Don... I didn't know about that but it is really good to know before he goes into build mode.
Back to top Go down
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
zues

PostSubject: Re: why do people prefur ASF?   why do people prefur ASF? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 9:07 pm

I have bred ASF's in the past. I started because I had a picky feeder and he would eat the soft furs. At one point my entire collection was being fed ASF's and I had no problems switching them back to rats. The main reason I went back to rats is because of size. Yes they outgrow ball pythons but they also get up to the size you need quicker. It takes forever for mice or ASF's to reach full size. A 3-4 week week old rat is the same size as adult ASF.
Back to top Go down
ax2austin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ax2austin

PostSubject: Re: why do people prefur ASF?   why do people prefur ASF? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 11:26 pm

so rats grow faster then mice your saying? i had a small breeding project of mice a while back but i fifgured it would take rats longer to grow then the mice would but rats would have been what i really wanted.
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

PostSubject: Re: why do people prefur ASF?   why do people prefur ASF? EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 12:22 am

They can be SO hard to come by though! Every show I've been to sells out of them in the first few hours!
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser.aspx?UserId=5fb7c078-e6af-4
Cp3_Pythons
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Cp3_Pythons

PostSubject: Re: why do people prefur ASF?   why do people prefur ASF? EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 2:09 am

I can get you ASF's if needed NOT a problem at all... Just hit me up I dont have a steady connection to the internet but you can hit the cell if needed.... Personally If a Ball Pythons isn't eating rats I dont want it... I dont really know why but thats just me...

Back to top Go down
Mike.OutbackReptiles
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: why do people prefur ASF?   why do people prefur ASF? EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 3:05 am

I hate ASFs... they are mean, they can chew through plastic rat tubs (i had to set snap traps out all over my house after I discovered this) and nobody wants a ball python that only eats ASFs

I do use them as a last resort before assist feeding, if a baby ball is having trouble eating. Sometimes they work wonders getting imported adult ball pythons to eat.

But I prefer rats over soft furs Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/the.surreal.deal
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
zues

PostSubject: Re: why do people prefur ASF?   why do people prefur ASF? EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 8:53 am

ax2austin wrote:
so rats grow faster then mice your saying? i had a small breeding project of mice a while back but i fifgured it would take rats longer to grow then the mice would but rats would have been what i really wanted.

I don't know if the actual growth rate is different between the two or not. What I'm saying is the rats reach usable size for feeding quicker. A four week old weaned rat is bigger than an adult mouse. An old retired mouse breeder may be slightly bigger but it is probably over a year old. I think I have one mouse left in my feeder tank. I'll post a picture of a mouse and different size rat babies for comparison after I get the kids on the bus.
Back to top Go down
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
zues

PostSubject: Re: why do people prefur ASF?   why do people prefur ASF? EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 1:38 pm

why do people prefur ASF? Snakes064

Here is a comparison pic. I don't know the exaxct age of the mouse but it is probably over two months old. The rat is probably 2 1/2 weeks old and not even weaned yet. Although they look about the same size the mouse weighs 17 grams and the rat weighs 33 grams.
Back to top Go down
Thibo703
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Thibo703

PostSubject: Re: why do people prefur ASF?   why do people prefur ASF? EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 4:26 pm

I REALLY HATE ASFs. Those little monsters will bite you faster than you can blink your eyes. I picked one up by the tail once and got ninja bit by the furry rat.

That and people say they don't smell?? Thats bull.. Maybe if you have them outside in a shed but even in a garage, you wont like going near that corner.

And I cant seem to get rid of them.. The lady I just got the baby boas from asked me if I wanted her "feeder mice", so I of course said sure, and she came out with a 10gal tank with 5 ASF's in it..they were her breeders, I was less than thrilled. My Irian Jaya wont eat anything that isn't white and the boas aren't big enough for them yet. I bought a 50c mouse trap and now they're frozen.

If anybody wants them around Richmond I'd be happy to sell them for dirt cheap or trade for some fuzzies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: why do people prefur ASF?   why do people prefur ASF? Empty

Back to top Go down

why do people prefur ASF?
Page 1 of 1