VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A question for my snake people...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rocialhabit
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
rocialhabit

A question for my snake people... Empty
PostSubject: A question for my snake people...   A question for my snake people... EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 10:23 pm

So my wife's kingsnake, Isis, was going into shed. Her humidity is where its suppose to be as well as her temp. I have checked and double checked. Her eyes got cloudy then cleared up and nothing happened. She appears to rub her face against things in her enclosure. I am wondering if she is having trouble breaking the skin on her face to shed or she may just be taking a bit longer to shed. I can only see one spot on her that looks like it has skin coming off on. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: A question for my snake people...   A question for my snake people... EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 8:26 am

After they go grey, they spend about a day (maybe even two), looking clear and normalish again until they shed. I put clean rocks in all of my enclosures so they have something to rub up against.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: A question for my snake people...   A question for my snake people... EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 10:30 am

I agree with Nick, except it has been my experience that once the eyes clear it is typically 4 to 5 days before the snake sheds. Juvenile snakes that are growing more rapidly shed faster and more frequently than adults.
Back to top Go down
rocialhabit
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
rocialhabit

PostSubject: Re: A question for my snake people...   A question for my snake people... EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 10:37 am

Ah well maybe I have been jumping the gun a bit on her. She has her waterdish and her hide. Both are made of "rocks." Semi-rugged plastic that is a bit rough to the touch. Is that adequate for her to rub against?
Back to top Go down
ichopz
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ichopz

PostSubject: Re: A question for my snake people...   A question for my snake people... EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 10:38 am

I HAD THAT HAPPEN WITH MY BP.. I THOUGHT I DID SOMETHING WRONG OR THE HUMIDITY WAS LOW.. I WET THE SUBSTRATE AND WAITED.. THE TWO DAYS LATER I HAD A FULL SHED.. HEAD TO TAIL..
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: A question for my snake people...   A question for my snake people... EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 12:08 pm

rocialhabit wrote:
Ah well maybe I have been jumping the gun a bit on her. She has her waterdish and her hide. Both are made of "rocks." Semi-rugged plastic that is a bit rough to the touch. Is that adequate for her to rub against?

The plastic will probably be fine. However, if you have any doubts do as Nick suggested and place a rock in the enclosure.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: A question for my snake people...   A question for my snake people... EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 1:33 pm

They love the rocks. A few of my balls will come out in the evening and rest their heads on the rock as if they are sunbathing. I have enclosures that allow you to see out the front so I place the rock up close to it and it's a really neat experience.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/focalx/cdfe8e0c.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/focalx/2bf7b397.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
rocialhabit
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
rocialhabit

PostSubject: Re: A question for my snake people...   A question for my snake people... EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 7:26 am

I went out and found a rock similar. The first thing she did was rub up against it and put her head on top of it. XD I made sure to disinfect it before I just plopped it in there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A question for my snake people...   A question for my snake people... Empty

Back to top Go down

A question for my snake people...
Page 1 of 1