VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Plants for box turtles?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

Plants for box turtles? Empty
PostSubject: Plants for box turtles?   Plants for box turtles? EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 6:12 am

So I am building (the interior of) a VERY large indoor box turtle enclosure -- the outside is already constructed.

Most people who have them indoors seem to use and suggest Rubbermaid tubs. I am not using that. I cannot stress how big this enclosure is, however. It's HUGE -- the enclosure, which has to be heavily modified to be how I want it to be, took four professional movers to (barely) be able to lift and move it. It is VERY large. Within it will be at least ten-twenty gallons (a small portion of the cage space) of filtered and circulated water, including a waterfall, to make a small pond. I have the engineering part right.

What I need help with is the plants. I want to fill the tank up with plants, including some tall ones (space is NO ISSUE...unless it's like a bush or tree, lol). Does anyone know of any universally safe plants? Mosses and aquatic plant suggestions are helpful too. They have to be non-toxic, and preferably not a plant the box turtle will completely wreck trying to eat.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Plants for box turtles?   Plants for box turtles? EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 10:18 am

Probably the first step is to determine which plants will grow in the area where the enclosure was placed. Much depends on how much sun the area receives, soil moisture (drainage) and composition.

This may be useful:
http://www.anapsid.org/resources/edible.html
http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upload/index.php?showtopic=132803
Back to top Go down
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Plants for box turtles?   Plants for box turtles? EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 9:58 pm

Thank you so much! It's very helpful -- exactly what I need. I might put a hibiscus bush in there.

I am going to post pictures when it's done. I've never built a failure when it comes to vivariums!
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: Plants for box turtles?   Plants for box turtles? EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 12:31 am

dandelions are good and clovers. I use a lot of strawberries too
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: Plants for box turtles?   Plants for box turtles? EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 12:33 am

If you have a place with low light on one side ferns are good
Back to top Go down
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Plants for box turtles?   Plants for box turtles? EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 12:58 am

I'm not sure there will be low light. Which sucks because ferns are so incredibly cool.
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: Plants for box turtles?   Plants for box turtles? EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 12:21 pm

You should post some pics. Id like to see how u did ur turtle pen. And what kind of boxes do you keep?
Back to top Go down
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Plants for box turtles?   Plants for box turtles? EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 12:25 am

It's not done yet. But when it is finally complete, I will be posting pictures on here as well as some other places. Right now I only have an Eastern. I have experience with three-toeds as well. I would ideally like one of each type of US box turtle (not in the same enclosure, but when I am able to make a large outdoor enclosure.)
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: Plants for box turtles?   Plants for box turtles? EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 1:39 pm

I have gulf coast, floridas, and easterns.
Back to top Go down
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Plants for box turtles?   Plants for box turtles? EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 8:56 pm

I would really like a gulf coast and a Florida, actually. I have been searching for breeders. Do you breed them? If so, would you PM me?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plants for box turtles?   Plants for box turtles? Empty

Back to top Go down

Plants for box turtles?
Page 1 of 1