VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Superworm Breeding

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

Superworm Breeding Empty
PostSubject: Superworm Breeding   Superworm Breeding EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 10:12 am

I'm trying to get a superworm colony going but I'm running into a problem. I have 3 adult beetles and about 8-10 pupa right now. I have no problem getting them to pupate or even turn into beetles. The problem is when they become beetles. Its like they slow down and don't move around much. They flip over on their backs on a daily basis and I have to go in and flip them back over. They are on a bed of oats and are given carrots, apples, etc. for moisture. This morning I think I found one of the beetles dead. He didn't even turn black. Just went to a dark brown and died.

Any thoughts on why my beetles are failing to thrive? My mealworm colony is starting up now and I've got close to 50 pupa and just got my first beetle this morning. Mealworms are easy. I don't think I'll have a problem breeding them, but I just don't know how to get my superworm beetles to survive. The other 2 beetles are still alive but not very active.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

Superworm Breeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Superworm Breeding   Superworm Breeding EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 9:33 am

Another beetle just died. I'm going to try changing the bedding from oats to wheat bran and see if that makes a difference. One of my pupa turned into a beetle so I'm up to 2. They keep flipping themselves over on their backs. Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

Superworm Breeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Superworm Breeding   Superworm Breeding EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 10:12 am

I never tryed it, but see all kind of advise on how to do it on line, I would look a few over see if you overlooked something.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

Superworm Breeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Superworm Breeding   Superworm Breeding EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 10:57 am

As far as I can tell from the information on google, oats are fine. The room never dips below 72 and mostly stays around 75, so the temperature is fine. I give them fresh veggies or fruit once a day. I've been using apple and carrot as I have a lot of it around but the websites seem to favor potato, so I'll give that a try.

On the bright side, my mealworm colony is doing wonderful. I have over 50 pupa and I'm taking about 10-15 new pupa out of the worm bin a day, sometimes more. I'm up to 4 beetles and all are doing well. If only super worms were so easy. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Superworm Breeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Superworm Breeding   Superworm Breeding Empty

Back to top Go down

Superworm Breeding
Page 1 of 1