VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

bearded dragon owners.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rrubberbandman
Established Member
Established Member
rrubberbandman

bearded dragon owners. Empty
PostSubject: bearded dragon owners.   bearded dragon owners. EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 8:52 am

Hi
I was curious if anyone else has beardies that are brumating now......my male is very blah and sleeps alot...but my female is very alert and still eating...she is younger than him.
I thought with a increase in basking temps and more ambient light he would liven up some.
He is still pooping and he did drink a some yesterday.
Should I be doing anything special for him until he snaps out of it?
Thanks!!!!
Bryan
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: bearded dragon owners.   bearded dragon owners. EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 10:53 am

Just keep providing water and occasional food as needed and he'll do fine. Some of ours bruminate every winter, some never do, and some do it randomly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

PostSubject: Re: bearded dragon owners.   bearded dragon owners. EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 12:02 pm

A few of mine are burmating currently, and then the younger ones are not... Just make sure they are staying at a good weight and healthy.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Zs.Reptile.House2013
Dementeddogz
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Dementeddogz

PostSubject: Re: bearded dragon owners.   bearded dragon owners. EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 5:20 pm

"usually" you wont see them brumate until closer to a year old, and no dragon is the same. Like Brian said, some brumate like clockwork, some never brumate, and some will semi-brumate.

How old is your dragon? What are your current basking and cool side temps? lighting schedule?
Back to top Go down
http://www.morphedout.com
rrubberbandman
Established Member
Established Member
rrubberbandman

PostSubject: Re: bearded dragon owners.   bearded dragon owners. EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 8:44 pm

Dementeddogz wrote:
"usually" you wont see them brumate until closer to a year old, and no dragon is the same. Like Brian said, some brumate like clockwork, some never brumate, and some will semi-brumate.

How old is your dragon? What are your current basking and cool side temps? lighting schedule?
Hot side has a basking spot of 120.....cooler side is 80-84.
He is probably 3 to 4 years old.
He is plump and seems well except for the drowsiness.
Bryan
Back to top Go down
rrubberbandman
Established Member
Established Member
rrubberbandman

PostSubject: Re: bearded dragon owners.   bearded dragon owners. EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 6:45 pm

Any other thoughts?
What would signs of being sick be?
Thanks!
Bryan
Back to top Go down
Dementeddogz
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Dementeddogz

PostSubject: Re: bearded dragon owners.   bearded dragon owners. EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 1:28 am

rrubberbandman wrote:
Dementeddogz wrote:

Bryan

When do his lights go on and off each day?

Those temps are rather high....babies ill keep upwards at 105-115 in basking, adults i tend to keep at 98-105. Cool sides range from 75-85. Adults dont need temperatures quite as high as babies, and honestly at 120+ you can cause some issues with your beardies.

How long have you had him? If over a year did you notice similar changes around this time?

Some common saigns of illness you may see in beardies can include

Respiratory Tract Infection - gaping constantly, mucus and or clicking or rattling sound when breathing
Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) - limping, hard bumps, trouble lifting up head or body, irregularity of jaw bone
Impaction - tired, dragging legs, not pooping, and swelling or lump is possible
Parasites - runny or smelly bowels (more so then usual) tired, not wanting to eat or pooping on usual schedule
Back to top Go down
rrubberbandman
Established Member
Established Member
rrubberbandman

PostSubject: Re: bearded dragon owners.   bearded dragon owners. EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 1:55 pm

Dementeddogz wrote:
rrubberbandman wrote:
Dementeddogz wrote:

Bryan

When do his lights go on and off each day?

Those temps are rather high....babies ill keep upwards at 105-115 in basking, adults i tend to keep at 98-105. Cool sides range from 75-85. Adults dont need temperatures quite as high as babies, and honestly at 120+ you can cause some issues with your beardies.

How long have you had him? If over a year did you notice similar changes around this time?

Some common saigns of illness you may see in beardies can include

Respiratory Tract Infection - gaping constantly, mucus and or clicking or rattling sound when breathing
Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD)   - limping, hard bumps, trouble lifting up head or body, irregularity of jaw bone
Impaction - tired, dragging legs, not pooping, and swelling or lump is possible
Parasites - runny or smelly bowels (more so then usual) tired, not wanting to eat or pooping on usual schedule
Their lights go on around 930 and off at 830-930.
I got them in a trade for my monitor the week after christmas and when i got him he was very active trying to breed with female etc.....i have fed collards and strawberries only 3 times and crickets the rest of feedings which is only 1 time a week for crickets.
Right now they are in a 90 gallon with a 125 watt powersun mercury vapor lamp with additional daylight spectrum florescent lamps for ambient light.
I took the 90 watt spot lamp since it was probably to hot.
They do have a dish of water in the tank and i have been doing soaks in tub once a week which creates pooping......my female is acting fine though.... Sad 
Back to top Go down
Dementeddogz
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Dementeddogz

PostSubject: Re: bearded dragon owners.   bearded dragon owners. EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 3:34 pm

rrubberbandman wrote:

Their lights go on around 930 and off at 830-930.
I got them in a trade for my monitor the week after christmas and when i got him he was very active trying to breed with female etc.....i have fed collards and strawberries only 3 times and crickets the rest of feedings which is only 1 time a week for crickets.
Right now they are in a 90 gallon with a 125 watt powersun mercury vapor lamp with additional daylight spectrum florescent lamps for ambient light.
I took the 90 watt spot lamp since it was probably to hot.
They do have  a dish of water in the tank and i have been doing soaks in tub once a week which creates pooping......my female is acting fine though.... Sad 

Lights are good for the time of year, usually 10-12 winter / 12-14, lighting from windows, activity in house exc can affect cycle aswell.

Are his bowels extremely foul?

If you have a bowl in tank try to watch humidity, youd shouldnt be in any danger of high humidity with a open 90 gallon tank.

If he was active and slowed down around christmas time he could very well be brumating. especialy if staying on cooler side, in hide, burrowing, exc. Just keep an eye on him for any changes. Some of mine semi brumate and ill offer food and water every so often, more so if they come out and venture around, and a weekly bath. I do have some that dont like to be bothered at all! Ill occasionally give them water in cage and may tempt with food less frequently. Some just will not eat, some will need regular baths for hydration if they refuse water. Length of brumation varies on fragon but i usually see them start to perk up last week of janurary to mid febrauary at latest
Back to top Go down
rrubberbandman
Established Member
Established Member
rrubberbandman

PostSubject: Re: bearded dragon owners.   bearded dragon owners. EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 10:45 pm

THANKS A BUNCH!
Back to top Go down
Dementeddogz
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Dementeddogz

PostSubject: Re: bearded dragon owners.   bearded dragon owners. EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 12:20 am

Anytime Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: bearded dragon owners.   bearded dragon owners. Empty

Back to top Go down

bearded dragon owners.
Page 1 of 1