VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

mean bearded dragon

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
shaype

mean bearded dragon Empty
PostSubject: mean bearded dragon   mean bearded dragon EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 12:29 pm

I have a bearded dragon. He is about 7mths old. I feed him the juvenile pellet food and meal worms. He is not a nice lizzard. He is the first bearded dragon I have owned. What can I do to make him nice? I try to hold him but he keeps stabing me with his head spikes, I still hold him but it makes me mad when he does it and I want it to stop. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
dsteamn
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: mean bearded dragon   mean bearded dragon EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 2:30 pm

Put him in a pillow case when you hold him. He won't see you but can feel you holding him. Perhaps it will help calm him down a bit and you won't get hurt in the process.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: mean bearded dragon   mean bearded dragon EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 2:32 pm

Bearded dragons don't stab with their spikes. That's not one of their defensive reactions. The spikes are a passive defense.

Please don't get mad if you get stabbed while holding him. It's not his fault even if he was doing it on purpose (which he's not). My guess is that you are holding him improperly.

Keep one hand firmly underneath is body at all times. It shouldn't be anywhere near his head. You can also lay him on your chest or lap while sitting. Don't let him run loose or he'll get very scared!

Start handling for only a few minutes each day and gradually increase it. Keep him on your lap while watching TV or reading a book. Try hand feeding him treats afterwards like waxworms, superworms, or strawberries to encourage him to tolerate and possibly even look forward to interacting with you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
shaype

PostSubject: Re: mean bearded dragon   mean bearded dragon EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 2:41 pm

Before I even pick him up out of his cage he has his mouth wide open and has bitten me before. Luckily it doesn't hurt Smile. I really enjoy him and try to hold him everyday I usually hold him close to my body and pet him as I hold him hoping to calm him down. Just not sure if there is some technique to help calm him some.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mean bearded dragon   mean bearded dragon Empty

Back to top Go down

mean bearded dragon
Page 1 of 1