VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Qs on Dealing with mites

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TheSnakeSpectrum
Established Member
Established Member
TheSnakeSpectrum

Qs on Dealing with mites Empty
PostSubject: Qs on Dealing with mites   Qs on Dealing with mites EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 11:14 pm

So, my baby blood python is my first snake to have mites. I just recently found two (so far) on him and I need some tips on what to do. I have heard of buying sprays for your snakes, but haven't got any luck finding any. I would LOVE for some tips that don't require too much money(if none at all, that would be perfect!)
I do not have him in a rack system. He is in an aquarium.
I have heard of things such as soaking the snake too, and I really need some tips for what I do with the snake, how I clean the aquarium, and how long it'll be before I can put him back into the aquarium.
Thanks!!

And also....I believe I have heard these mites are species specific... is this true?
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Qs on Dealing with mites   Qs on Dealing with mites EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 9:38 am

I think the mites aren't particular to any species of snake. If they get near your other snakes, they will most likely infect them.

If you search online, you can get a can of Provent-A-Mite for like $15.

First, if you haven't, move the snake to a quarantined location away from other snakes. Give the snake a tepid water soak for 30 minutes or so. This will drown a good portion of the mites. They drown relatively easy. Pick off any survivers afterwards.

While the snkae is soaking, this is a good time to clean the enclosure. Put everything you want to keep in a bag and take the bag immediately outside. Throw away all the substrate in the cage. Bleach/chlorhexidine/sanitize the enclosure, wipe, clean and dry. Apply the Provent-A-Mite or other mite treatment as instructed. If you use the PAM, allow it to dry, do not put the water bowl back in, and line with newspaper or paper towels.

After you reintroduce the snake, any remaining mites should die within the first few days but some may survive. Sometimes a second treatment a week later is likely, however, if not, a second treatment should definitely be done 30 days later to kill any eggs that may survive and have hatched.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Qs on Dealing with mites   Qs on Dealing with mites EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 9:43 am

Sorry, forgot to include:

The bag of everything that you took outside, should be cleaned with bleach and boiling water, or ran through a dishwasher. However you do it, it should be thoroughly cleaned before reintroduction.

If you pick the mites off, be careful not to hurt the snake, pick at scales or underneath them. Pick off the easy ones, the purpose is to reduce the chance of any survivers after putting them in the treated cage.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
TheSnakeSpectrum
Established Member
Established Member
TheSnakeSpectrum

PostSubject: Re: Qs on Dealing with mites   Qs on Dealing with mites EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 9:06 pm

Thanks! My mother and I rubbed him as he soaked(he HATED the water!) and realized he had way more mites on him than we thought. luckily, i think we got them all. his cage was bleached, and him and the cage furniture and then cage were sprayed with zoomed's Mite-Off. And about thirty minutes later, after he settled down, we attempted to feed him. He ate!! He wouldnt eat at ALL before and the mites probably had something to do with it. We're thinking he had a few mites when I got him.

And sorry, my fault on the question...when I said are the mites "species specific" I meant, Do they only go on snakes? Can they get on humans and cats and dogs?
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Qs on Dealing with mites   Qs on Dealing with mites EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 11:08 pm

The snake mite (Ophionyssus natricis) is primarily found on snakes and some lizards. For additional information Goggle the scientific name. If I remember correctly, the snake mite does not use warm blooded animals as a host.

It is interesting to note that the snake mite is not native to the U.S. It is assumed that the importation of materials/plants/animals from Africa introduced the snake mite to our native snakes.
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: Qs on Dealing with mites   Qs on Dealing with mites EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 12:00 am

They can have them back!
Back to top Go down
JoeEllisReptiles
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
JoeEllisReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Qs on Dealing with mites   Qs on Dealing with mites EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 2:00 am

Permectrin-II

13.5 cc per gallon of water in a spray bottle. You can spray the snake, water, bedding and have no worries. I have used this for years. One bottle makes a good 100 gallons of treatment. I use it every time I clean the cages and it wont hurt the snake even if its in the Water.

http://www.atozvetsupply.com/Permectrin-II-p/33-perm-11.htm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Qs on Dealing with mites   Qs on Dealing with mites Empty

Back to top Go down

Qs on Dealing with mites
Page 1 of 1