VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

help with mites!

Go down 
+3
allaboutthekings
Focal
dj6884
7 posters
AuthorMessage
dj6884
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
dj6884

help with mites! Empty
PostSubject: help with mites!   help with mites! EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 9:45 pm

i have found out that my asfs and rats have mites or what appear to be mites but my snakes dont have them what can i do to get them off the rats these things look like bird lice very small im assuming mites i havnt had any issues with snakes gettin these things but am treating them as if they have them as well can anyone tell me what to do home remedy for the rats being treated i have alot of rats and i cant afford to buy a whole new colony im talking 200 rats mice and asfs anyone have any ideas thanks i do not have anywhere to quarrenteen these guys being the volume i have thankyou for any answeres
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

help with mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with mites!   help with mites! EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Ivermectin paste from a feed & seed store. They have it in Suffolk. I did some searching and it looks like you use an amount equivalent to an uncooked grain of rice for a one pound rat. I think you have to give it to each rodent individually. I've never done this so I would research it more.

It hurts to say, but the easiest route looks like putting them all down, treat everything and start over.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

help with mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with mites!   help with mites! EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 2:37 am

Ive read about a topical version of ivermectin that's supposed to work in one shot. id still do it twice though because you have to treat once to kill the adult mites and then again to kill the ones that hatch 7 days later. Id research it to get exact doses that was very important.
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

help with mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with mites!   help with mites! EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 2:39 am

You might also want to check with a vet. That may be better than getting rid of them all and starting over
Back to top Go down
Dementeddogz
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Dementeddogz

help with mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with mites!   help with mites! EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 8:27 am

Your sure they are mites not lice or fleas correct? The good thing is mites are species specific, the bad thing they can be a pain in the *** to get rid of whatever method you choose you need to make sure to treat in atleast two stages But eill need to clean cages and surround very well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.morphedout.com
dj6884
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
dj6884

help with mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with mites!   help with mites! EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 10:21 am

well i picked up the asf and their crawling all over my hand they look like little gray ticks im talking very very small and i squished one and looked like like blood ive seen snake mites before but these are much smaller and i checked the snakes over and over and nothing is on them nor crawling on my hands when i check them they could be lice ive never seen them ive treated all the snakes as if they are mites just in case i dont use bedding only bogus paper and dont see any in the water bowls or paper i wish i could afford to start over but cant im planning on bathing all of the rats all are hand tame and also cleaning the tanks i really hope they are lice instead being its been a little over a week since ive seen these things and no snake has them
Back to top Go down
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
zues

help with mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with mites!   help with mites! EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 10:32 am

I would call the makers of provent a mite and ask them if it is safe to use their product on the bedding of feeders. If so treat the bedding of your tubs for the next few weeks and problem solved. Make sure you follow the directions exactly. You will notice an improvement almost immediately but you want to continue treating to get the eggs that will hatch. I know a few people have used NIX lice spray or the walmart equivalent. I have never used the lice spray and cannot attest to it's safety.
Back to top Go down
Dementeddogz
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Dementeddogz

help with mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with mites!   help with mites! EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 10:34 am

They are most likely mites, seem to be more common then Lice and youd know if the were fleas. Your snakes wont catch mites from your rats but i wouldnt skimp on the cleaning anyways. Clean the rats, tanks, area near tanks exc and follow up again in a few days to catch any eggs, even if you dont see anything.
Back to top Go down
dj6884
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
dj6884

help with mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with mites!   help with mites! EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:29 pm

thankyou guys for all your help i never had this issue ever, are the mites that are from rats different than snake mites and do they ever infest snakes i have a ton of money invested into my collection and want to be extremely thorough with this
Back to top Go down
Dementeddogz
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Dementeddogz

help with mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with mites!   help with mites! EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 4:51 pm

Mites are species specific you should be fine but doesnt hurt to act as though youre not Wink Mites are not something you want out of control o.0
Back to top Go down
b_rickard
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

help with mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with mites!   help with mites! EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 5:03 pm

If you keep your rodents separate from turtles and tortoises get this stuff.
prozap insect guard
I keep this with my rodents and it keeps the bugs down. It's not good to keep it around open water.
Back to top Go down
Peri-Itsy
Established Member
Established Member
Peri-Itsy

help with mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with mites!   help with mites! EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 10:05 pm

Do what Zeus said and spray Provent a mite on the bedding and then put a small drop of a package of kitten flea mess on each small rat or larger. The pinkies you seperate until they are bigger or dump them
Back to top Go down
Peri-Itsy
Established Member
Established Member
Peri-Itsy

help with mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with mites!   help with mites! EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 10:05 pm

Also don't use any flea treated rats as feeders for one week
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

help with mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with mites!   help with mites! Empty

Back to top Go down

help with mites!
Page 1 of 1