VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

mites..

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Selinacake
Selinacake

mites.. Empty
PostSubject: mites..   mites.. EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 12:31 am

So I bought 3 ball pythons that all seemed perfectly fine...well come to find out, they have mites...I have tried and tried and cannot get rid of these things can someone please give me some advice on how to rid my snakes of these??
Back to top Go down
sic_anger
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
sic_anger

mites.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: mites..   mites.. EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 1:43 am

[url=http://www.petco.com/product/109610/Natural-Chemistry-Reptile-Spray.aspx?cm_mmc=CSEMGoogleAdExtProd-_-Reptile-_-Natural chemistry-_-1233661&mr:trackingcode=C8F6EB15-8381-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=28820658595&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=51515443435]http://www.petco.com/product/109610/Natural-Chemistry-Reptile-Spray.aspx?cm_mmc=CSEMGoogleAdExtProd-_-Reptile-_-Natural%20Chemistry-_-1233661&mr:trackingCode=C8F6EB15-8381-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=28820658595&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=51515443435[/url] Tha is the stuff i use, no hard chemicals in it you can spray the animal with it and the enclosure, I got mites once on my boa and this stuff cleared it up in about a week and they was bad i used it on her and to be safe used it on all my animals i still use it today when cleaning just to make sure they don;t pop back up
Back to top Go down
ichopz
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ichopz

mites.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: mites..   mites.. EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 10:32 am

I use PREVENT A MITE..  its like 30 bucks but works like a charm
Back to top Go down
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
zues

mites.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: mites..   mites.. EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 11:21 am

I second Provent A Mite. Great stuff just be sure to follow directions. Here is a link to order it directly from Pro Products. If you buy from Pro Products it's normally $18 but it's currently on sale for $16 a can.

http://www.pro-products.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=59
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
bcr229

mites.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: mites..   mites.. EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 12:25 pm

First, PROVENT A MITE, PAM for short, available from PRO Products.  Since it has to be shipped get several cans to cut down the per-can cost.  BTW thanks for the note it's on sale, I'm going to order more today.  It's not like the stuff goes bad, and if you ever attend an expo or get a snake from a commercial shop, chances are you'll get hit with mites again.

Second, you will want a product to treat the snake directly.  I prefer Reptile Relief from Reptile Basics but the stuff from PetCo/PetSmart also works.  Heck, according to my vet (SEAVS in Fairfax) adding one drop of dish soap to your snake's bath water will help kill the little bastiges off temporarily, but you shouldn't do it more than once a week.  He also said if you use Reptile Relief or any of the other "spray on" products, it's better to dampen a paper towel and wipe down the snake by hand.  You'll get a more even coating, stress the snake less, and no worries about getting any of the product into the eyes or heat pits when you treat under the snake's chin or the top of its head.  Make sure to wipe the crease under the head and the vent area several times as mites really like to hit those areas.

So, once you have the PAM and spray-on product, here's what you do.

USE PAM AS DIRECTED.  DO NOT SPRAY IT DIRECTLY ON  YOUR SNAKES OR TREAT THEIR WATER DISHES WITH IT.  You have 3 snakes.  Get 3 plastic tubs or snake bags to secure them while you treat their enclosures.  Treat the plastic tubs or snake bags as directed with PAM and let them dry completely.  I prefer to take stuff outside when treating with PAM.

Once the tubs or bags are dry, remove each snake and wipe it down with the product designed to be applied directly to them.  You will see the mites come off on the damp paper towel.  I go through several paper towels and keep wiping until I don't see any more mites.  This process isn't bad with a ball python, try it with an active 10' boa sometime...

Put the treated snake into the PAM-treated tub or snake bag.  Repeat with your other two snakes.  Put them someplace where they will be comfortable for a while.

Now the enclosures: remove the water bowls.  I run them through the dishwasher because I have plenty of clean spares available.

Remove the hides and tank decorations .  If you have wooden hides, bake them in an oven at 185*F for at least 20 minutes, then allow them to cool.  Don't bake higher than 212*F (boiling point) because if there is any water in them the water expands and they will crack or explode (ask me how I know...).  Anything plastic can be soaked in soapy water and then rinsed very, very well.

Take the enclosures outside.  You can either throw away the substrate or treat it.  Personally I toss it and use white paper towels treated with PAM to line the enclosures for the next month, but I really hate mites and they are very easy to see on the paper towels.  Spray PAM in the enclosures, with or without substrate, and cover them so the stuff settles in the enclosure and doesn't blow away.  Once the mist has settled uncover the enclosures and allow to completely dry.

Rinse the tank decorations and hides very well, dry them, and take them outside and treat them with PAM.  Treat the wooden hides with PAM once they've cooled off.  If you're using paper towels as substrate, treat enough to line your enclosures.

Once everything treated with PAM has completely dried, bring everything back inside.  Set up your enclosures (if you change substrate to paper towels from aspen or cypress you may need to adjust your thermostat to compensate), put in the new, clean water bowls and fresh water, and put your snakes back in their tanks.

If using paper towels to line the enclosures, for the next month treat them with PAM and allow them to dry before using them.

Can you tell I've BTDT?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
Selinacake
Selinacake

mites.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: mites..   mites.. EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 3:27 pm

Thank you so much for your help, guys. Smile hopefully my babies will soon be mite free!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

mites.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: mites..   mites.. Empty

Back to top Go down

mites..
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: General Discussion Forums :: Snake/Lizard/Gecko Discussion-
Jump to: