VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

oh no i see mites help

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dj6884
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
dj6884

oh no i see mites help Empty
PostSubject: oh no i see mites help   oh no i see mites help EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 10:46 am

can someone tell me where i can get mite spray in concentrate near norfolk i hear you can use pyremethrin or something like that my friends snakes have it and im tryng to help her out she cant afford alot ive never had to use any mite spray all mine have never gotten it thank god any help would be apreciative thankyou
Back to top Go down
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
leftoflarry

PostSubject: Re: oh no i see mites help   oh no i see mites help EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 11:49 am

dj6884 wrote:
can someone tell me where i can get mite spray in concentrate near norfolk i hear you can use pyremethrin or something like that my friends snakes have it and im tryng to help her out she cant afford alot ive never had to use any mite spray all mine have never gotten it thank god any help would be apreciative thankyou

Ok here is what you do and this method has worked wonders for me. It is important that you not only kill the mites but any eggs and larvae as well. Here's what you do.

Products you will need are as follows:
1. Vapona Strips (can get these from the hardware store) or online http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=prozap+insect+guard&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3280236931&ref=pd_sl_60u0xtmide_e
2. Old medicine bottle (the prescription type) or some other similar small container.
2. Tupperware tub
3. Provent-a-Mite spray (you can buy online)

All in all this will cost you around 30 dollars

What to do

1. take your snake and put him in a tupperware box with nothing but white paper towels as your substrate. (make sure there are minimal amount of holes for ventilation).
2. Do NOT put a water bowl with the snake.
3. Take the medicine bottle and poke a bunch of holes in it.
4. Crack open the Vapona Strip casing and cut about 2-3 small strands and place them in the medicine bottle. Make sure you close the medicine bottle very tightly so that the snake cannot get into it. Wear either latex or nitrile gloves when handling the strips.
5. Put the medicine bottle with the vapona strips in with the snake.
6. Let the snake live in this enclosure for 3-4 days. (don't worry about water, your snake will be fine for a few days).
7. The fumes from the vapona strip will kill the mites and any larva that is born during that time. This is why you don't want too many holes for ventilation. Just a few so that the snake can still breathe.

Next the cage:
1. Take all cage furniture out of the tank.
2. Dump all bedding in a trash bag
3. Wash all the cage furniture and cage with hot water and bleach
4. Spray all cage furniture with a little bit of provent-a-mite (CAREFUL TO NOT SPRAY TOO MUCH). MAKE SURE PROVENT-A-MITE DRIES COMPLETELY.
5. Place new bedding and replace all the furniture.
6. Make sure you don't spray the new bedding, because what has happened to my corn snake is that he got some of the bedding in the water dish, and then drank out of it and started having some neurological problems. I had to remove the bedding wash the cage and furniture and replace everything back with fresh bedding and then he turned out ok.

During the treatment you will see the mites dead on the white paper towel, (this is why it's important to use a white substrate) and after about 4 days you can rince your snake off with some water and return him to the original clean enclosure.

This has worked extremely well for me.

Last edited by leftoflarry on Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.vaherpsociety.com
pksnipr
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
pksnipr

PostSubject: Re: oh no i see mites help   oh no i see mites help EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 11:50 am

go to pet paradise on virginia beach boulevard and kellam rd. i know they have provent a mite and i think they will sell you some liquid pyrethrim(dont think i spelled that right). just MAKE SURE you follow the directions EXACTLY! it's very easy to use but, you have to be very careful around other animals. also you can you tube the directions or go to PROPRODUCTS website and look up their detailed directions for use. good luck mites are a pain.
Back to top Go down
dj6884
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
dj6884

PostSubject: Re: oh no i see mites help   oh no i see mites help EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 12:08 pm

thankyou guys so much i apreciate the help thankyou
Back to top Go down
ax2austin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ax2austin

PostSubject: Re: oh no i see mites help   oh no i see mites help EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 4:57 pm

Yea I just got through the same problem. About two months ago I thought I got all of them but I didn't, must have missed some eggs so I got to go through it all over again. Be extremely thorough, the time spent is well worth getting em all the first time. Such a pain in the butt especially if you have multiple snakes.
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: oh no i see mites help   oh no i see mites help EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 6:25 pm

Always treat twice 30 day apart, you generally never get all the bad word here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: oh no i see mites help   oh no i see mites help Empty

Back to top Go down

oh no i see mites help
Page 1 of 1