VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Leopard Gecko seems overweight???

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Gizmo

Leopard Gecko seems overweight??? Empty
PostSubject: Leopard Gecko seems overweight???   Leopard Gecko seems overweight??? EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 9:10 pm

Ok so i have a leopard gecko. She is female. When i first got her she was slim and very timid. Now she comes out when ever she sees me and heres me breathing against the glass lol. However she is getting big... she is a female 8 inches long still growing how ever she is um fat....she moves like lightning and has no other signs. She eats drinks has a movement on her stone 2-3 times a week. I feed her 2-3 times a week. She usually takes around 6-7 superworms or 5 crickets 9 - 10 mealies and i have never givin her pinkies or wax worms. I plan on changing from crickets and superworms to dubia rocahes and just mealies. ( im not trying to start a fight over cricket vs dubia) i switch back and fourth.. i just need a little help how do i slim her down?? i read on google just take her out longer and more....but she doesnt like to play with me.. she just waits until i sit down then claws up my pants until she gets under my shirt to my stomach. Not love just warmth is what she wants. She wont run if i push her she lets me pet her...i just dont know how to make her go... she wont chase her food i have to hand feed her. which i like doing but on occasion i wish she would catch a cricket on her own without me have to rip all but one leg off. any help would be greatly appreciated she is 14 months old
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Gecko seems overweight???   Leopard Gecko seems overweight??? EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 9:31 pm

Photos would be helpful.
Back to top Go down
Gizmo

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Gecko seems overweight???   Leopard Gecko seems overweight??? EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 9:50 pm

sorry really havent figured out how to post pics -__- theres probably a click-able button somewhere
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Gecko seems overweight???   Leopard Gecko seems overweight??? EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 12:50 pm

Stop feeding superworms, I think, for the obesity. I had some for a while and I read super worms are high in fat.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Gecko seems overweight???   Leopard Gecko seems overweight??? EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 12:54 pm

Aren't most of the worms high in fat? I only feed them once in a while more or less as a treat or if I was too lazy to go get crickets. Now I just stick to my dubias
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Gecko seems overweight???   Leopard Gecko seems overweight??? EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Is it possible that the leo is gravid?
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Gecko seems overweight???   Leopard Gecko seems overweight??? EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 4:20 pm

You are feeding her too much. I feed my adult leopards three insects each twice a week. I have had this colony since 1988. It is possible for them to die from fatty liver disease due to over eating. Also, do not worry about "playing" with the gecko for exercise. Leopard geckos are not social creatures and do not need to "play" or have human interaction in order to be healthy. Superworms are fine as long as they are fed as part of a varied diet. I usually rotate crickets, dubia roaches, and superworms. Waxworms are also relished but these should only be offered as an infrequent treat. It is possible for individual animals that are fed too many waxworms to start refusing all other food.
Chip
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Gecko seems overweight???   Leopard Gecko seems overweight??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Leopard Gecko seems overweight???
Page 1 of 1