VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Leopard gecko questions.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Vladglow

Leopard gecko questions. Empty
PostSubject: Leopard gecko questions.   Leopard gecko questions. EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 11:51 am

Acquired 2 baby Leo's. Don't wanna do a heat rock. And there nocturanal so heat lamp wouldn't make sense as a main source of heating. I'm thinking about going with a heating pad that goes on the outside lf the cage. And trAnsfers heat. Are these reliable? I'm thinking of the zoo med one do they have a settings button to adjust the heat? And if you use one of these can you still use paper towel as a bedding until there old enough for sand? Thanks
Back to top Go down
jgard
Established Member
Established Member
jgard

PostSubject: Re: Leopard gecko questions.   Leopard gecko questions. EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 1:13 pm

They do work well and you can use paper towels with them. They don't have a settings button, so you would need to buy a thermostat as well to control the temperature. I wouldn't recommend using a heat mat without a thermostat. I use zoomed and flukers heat mats and both have been very reliable for me.
Back to top Go down
Vladglow

PostSubject: Re: Leopard gecko questions.   Leopard gecko questions. EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 1:30 pm

Thanks. Suggestions on the thermostat?
Back to top Go down
jgard
Established Member
Established Member
jgard

PostSubject: Re: Leopard gecko questions.   Leopard gecko questions. EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 1:57 pm

I use a zilla 1000watt and a zilla 500watt with the heat mats. These are on the cheaper end of the thermostat spectrum. I use a VE-100 for my snake rack which is about twice the price of the other ones. I don't personally use heat mats for my geckos, I use them for snakes. I use an overhead lamp with a night bulb for my geckos and have it on for 12 hours a day and off all night and it works well for me.
Back to top Go down
Vladglow

PostSubject: Re: Leopard gecko questions.   Leopard gecko questions. EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 3:23 pm

It doesn't get too cold at night or is that what the night bulb is for?
Back to top Go down
Vladglow

PostSubject: Re: Leopard gecko questions.   Leopard gecko questions. EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 3:25 pm

Because I deffiantly don't want to fry them like my anoles when I was young. Thy got burnt to a crisp on a heat rock/:
Back to top Go down
jgard
Established Member
Established Member
jgard

PostSubject: Re: Leopard gecko questions.   Leopard gecko questions. EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 3:50 pm

I use a night bulb during the day and nothing at night and they have been fine. If your house is cold at night, it might not be best to do it this way.
Back to top Go down
Vladglow

PostSubject: Re: Leopard gecko questions.   Leopard gecko questions. EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 4:47 pm

Word thanks man
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: Leopard gecko questions.   Leopard gecko questions. EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 12:26 pm

careful with sand because they are going to eat it. I like outdoor carpet instead of substrate
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leopard gecko questions.   Leopard gecko questions. Empty

Back to top Go down

Leopard gecko questions.
Page 1 of 1