VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Some unique herps from the field

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

Some unique herps from the field Empty
PostSubject: Some unique herps from the field   Some unique herps from the field EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 4:38 pm

An albino box turtle
Some unique herps from the field Abox
Typical five-lined skink for reference.
Some unique herps from the field Nskink
An atypical gravid, five-lined skink with bifurcated tail.
Some unique herps from the field Skink2t
Five-lined skink with unusual dorsal pattern and head coloration.
Some unique herps from the field Askink
A leucistic green frog tadpole.
Some unique herps from the field Lgreenfrog
A leucistic wood frog tadpole.
Some unique herps from the field Lwood
A one-eyed female bullfrog. More notable than the missing eye is the missing nostril.
Some unique herps from the field Oebull1
Some unique herps from the field Oebull2
Some unique herps from the field Oebullfrog3
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: Some unique herps from the field   Some unique herps from the field EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 6:17 pm

Those are some pretty cool pics. I have an albino box turtle shell, found it in the woods at my house. What do you do?
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Some unique herps from the field   Some unique herps from the field EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:47 pm

My hobby is taking photos of herps.

The shell you found is probably a normal box turtle shell. Once the scutes fall off the carapace (top shell) the white bone below is exposed and I believe this is what you are seeing. Albinism in box turtles is exceeding rare. An albino box turtle making it to adulthood in the wild is next to impossible.

If you have a photo of the shell, please post it.
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: Some unique herps from the field   Some unique herps from the field EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:58 pm

That's cool. We have 43 acres and see loads of wildlife, but I never have a camera around when I want to take a pic! You are probably right, it appears to be a very old shell. If I can find it I will take a pic, I think it's in storage.
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: Some unique herps from the field   Some unique herps from the field EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 8:05 pm

nice picture work.

Last edited by smd58 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Some unique herps from the field   Some unique herps from the field EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 8:40 pm

Thanks!

The older shells also get "bleached" white due to sunlight.
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

PostSubject: Re: Some unique herps from the field   Some unique herps from the field EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 10:41 pm

Tiger salamanders are the s@#t my dad discs big study on them here in Virginia a few years back when he was still with the VDGIF. To bad you can keep them here in VA. Sad
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Some unique herps from the field   Some unique herps from the field EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 12:01 am

Is your dad Don S. ?
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

PostSubject: Re: Some unique herps from the field   Some unique herps from the field EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 12:02 am

Yes
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Some unique herps from the field   Some unique herps from the field EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 12:04 am

Cool! Is he still spending time in the Great Dismal Swamp?
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

PostSubject: Re: Some unique herps from the field   Some unique herps from the field EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 12:06 am

Yea he's the biologist there now
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Some unique herps from the field   Some unique herps from the field EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 12:12 am

Excellent! I try to visit the GDS NWR at least once a year, but the fire canceled the trip this year.
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

PostSubject: Re: Some unique herps from the field   Some unique herps from the field EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 12:16 am

Yea it was a hell of a mess down there that's for sure
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some unique herps from the field   Some unique herps from the field Empty

Back to top Go down

Some unique herps from the field
Page 1 of 1