VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Transporting Herps

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jgard
Established Member
Established Member
jgard

Transporting Herps Empty
PostSubject: Transporting Herps   Transporting Herps EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 6:00 pm

I will be moving across country in about a year and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for transporting my snakes and lizards out there. I have read up on it and talked to pet store owners and it seems fairly easy, but I thought I would ask anyways. The consensus that I have gotten so far is to use plastic tubs with towels or paper towels in them and use heat packs as necessary. I have also heard to not feed them while on the trip and feed them very little prior to the trip. I have also heard that it would be best to just ship them out there. What are some thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Transporting Herps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transporting Herps   Transporting Herps EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Everything sounds good. I'd make sure to bring a temp gun and bottle water too. How far are you going?

Also, I would secure the tubs inside large, tied pillow cases. I've had a tub hit another and pop open, and another that leaned a few inches and created a gap. Looking back now, a pillow case would have saved me from ripping my car apart Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
jgard
Established Member
Established Member
jgard

Transporting Herps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transporting Herps   Transporting Herps EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 8:34 pm

Thanks! I will make sure to do that stuff. I will be going to the Seattle area of Washington from Hampton Roads. It took me about 5 days when I made the trip this way.
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

Transporting Herps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transporting Herps   Transporting Herps EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 8:37 pm

O wow that's a trip and a half... good luck on all of it, I have only done day long trips so past that I'm not much help... How many reptiles are you planning to trans?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Zs.Reptile.House2013
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Transporting Herps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transporting Herps   Transporting Herps EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Ouch, have a safe trip! I drove from here to San Fran in 2.5 days and that included night in a hotel and a trip to the dealer for a new wheel. I haven't been right since Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
jgard
Established Member
Established Member
jgard

Transporting Herps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transporting Herps   Transporting Herps EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Right now, 2 hognoses and 2 crocodile skinks. I might add another snake or lizard, but that would be it until we move back to WA.
Back to top Go down
b_rickard
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Transporting Herps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transporting Herps   Transporting Herps EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 11:00 pm

Put them in styrofoam shipping boxes, not just in plastic containers, you won't be able to keep a constant temp driving that far. Plus, if it's hot out, you don't want them to be as cool as you are when you have your AC on, or if you have your heat on, they may not want to be as warm as you do. Plus, if you stop your car and go in a store they won't heat up as fast if it's the summer time. The main thing is to remember, if you leave them in the vehicle, it heats up really fast and could kill them in minutes, if it's hot out.

I have moved my animals from Iowa to Florida and back to Iowa. Then I turned around and moved everything out here to Virginia. I used a minivan so I could pack everything inside and keep the temp as constant as possible. With just a couple animals you shouldn't have any problems.
Back to top Go down
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
zues

Transporting Herps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transporting Herps   Transporting Herps EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 12:16 am

When I moved from Colorado to the east coast I used coleman coolers. I took water bottles and filled them with warm water. I put the bottles in the bottom of the cooler and covered them with shredded paper. I drilled one hole in the top of the cooler for air. With the warm water bottles in the insulated coolers they would hold temp pretty well throughout the day. Every night at the hotel I would redo the bottles with warm water and again in the morning before hitting the road again. I was only moving snakes so I'm not sure if this will work with skinks. I had my in snake bags but deli cups would also work. It was a three day trip for me because I had 3 small kids and I was pulling a trailer. Everyone arrived in good shape.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Transporting Herps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transporting Herps   Transporting Herps Empty

Back to top Go down

Transporting Herps
Page 1 of 1