VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Taming a leopard gecko - need help!

Go down 
+3
Deedle
Focal
cheryle123
7 posters
AuthorMessage
cheryle123

Taming a leopard gecko - need help! Empty
PostSubject: Taming a leopard gecko - need help!   Taming a leopard gecko - need help! EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 12:40 pm

I have recently "acquired" an adult leopard gecko who hisses and tries to bite me every time I even try to touch him (forget picking him up). Any suggestions on how to tame him without losing a finger or two? Thx.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Taming a leopard gecko - need help!   Taming a leopard gecko - need help! EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 5:06 pm

I would let him settle in and give him some privacy for at least a week or two to settle in. Was it in a bad situation before you got it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
cheryle123

PostSubject: Re: Taming a leopard gecko - need help!   Taming a leopard gecko - need help! EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 5:53 pm

He's had about 3 weeks. He was in a good habitat but not handled when I got him. He's got a decent size tank, basking lamp, crickets, worms, water, sand substrate, a hidey hutch and various things to climb on etc. Yet he's still pissed off all the time!
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Deedle

PostSubject: Re: Taming a leopard gecko - need help!   Taming a leopard gecko - need help! EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 9:39 pm

Once in a while there are those animals that just don't care for handling.

However, take things slow with him, make sure hes eating plenty.

http://www.leopardgeckoguy.com/2010/05/taming-beast-how-to-tame-your-leopard.html
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Deedle

PostSubject: Re: Taming a leopard gecko - need help!   Taming a leopard gecko - need help! EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 12:58 am

Also I know different type of gecko but working with a large adult Tokay have had a bit of luck approaching very slow, Of course my goal isn't to handle him more so to ensure him that I'm not a predator.
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

PostSubject: Re: Taming a leopard gecko - need help!   Taming a leopard gecko - need help! EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 1:12 am

I mean what are you trying to get out of the leo? A leo that sits and stays and chills with you? I'm my experience they are never like that... One that just lets you handle it and is not a angry little mug? I have found that just handling them helps... It can be hard at first especially when they are like you say, but never squeeze them and just pick them up, even if angry and let them settle down in your hands... Like slowly touching them or kinda trying to chase them around and let them get used to your hand has never worked for me... I just pick them up real quick and let them run between my hands... Also they will jump so be careful
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Zs.Reptile.House2013
JJ Reptile
JJ Reptile

PostSubject: Re: Taming a leopard gecko - need help!   Taming a leopard gecko - need help! EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 2:01 am

TheRealYoda34, my 6 adults are tame . They will either chill, on my arm,chest,or stomach. Or they will find a spot where my comforter is folded over or bundled up n curl up in it.

Cheryle123, I have a female carrot tail , that can b slight moody. Ill get up n go to leave my room n I will tapping on the enclosure, she is biting at the enclosure.

I've never had a leopard so far that has tried to bite me per say. I do have 2 normals that when I first got them , they kept tryin to jump outta my hand.

Be careful how u try to pick him up, if he percieves u as a threat he will bite , more than likely. Don't be afraid of him . Like they said u may have to gradually work up to try in to hold him.
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: Taming a leopard gecko - need help!   Taming a leopard gecko - need help! EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 7:30 am

It just takes time. I have several that will climb into your hand on their own. And being gentle will go a long way with them.
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Taming a leopard gecko - need help!   Taming a leopard gecko - need help! EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 1:20 pm

I have had the same group of leopard geckos since 1988. They all have somewhat different personalities..and I use that term loosely. Most are calm and tolerate being picked up for short periods. One particular female has always been restless however and will often try to bite. The bottom line is no herp "enjoys" being handled like a puppy, kitten, or even a rabbit. Some simply just tolerate it more than others.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taming a leopard gecko - need help!   Taming a leopard gecko - need help! Empty

Back to top Go down

Taming a leopard gecko - need help!
Page 1 of 1