VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak)

Go down 
+2
Dementeddogz
scalyfoot
6 posters
AuthorMessage
scalyfoot
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak) Empty
PostSubject: Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak)   Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak) EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 11:22 pm

Getting ready to set up a dubia colony in a large Rubber-Maid tub. Got the egg flats, put a screen panel in the top(found a glue gun in the craft drawer, yes!), but not real sure about a good heat source to maintain them at breeding temperature. The heat mats I have say 'use only on glass aquarium'. Thought about a human heating pad, but all of them have an automatic shut-off. Went to Petsmart to investigate a doggie heat pad, and they didn't have any. Want something safe, of course. What am I overlooking here??
Back to top Go down
Dementeddogz
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Dementeddogz

PostSubject: Re: Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak)   Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak) EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 11:50 pm

I can get pics of my set up but best way to go is a large Rubbermaid tub, with a decent section cut out and screened for ventilation. Get a 3' section of flexwatt to run on the outside/bottom of the container with aluminum duct tape and cut a piece of 1/2 thick styrofoam (home depot) to the size of the container. Tape and seal with aluminum duct tape, this allows you to set on a surface safely and insulate the heat source.
Back to top Go down
http://www.morphedout.com
Rhuwme
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Rhuwme

PostSubject: Re: Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak)   Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak) EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 12:22 am

i was wondering the same thing for my new gecko enclosure. I'm reading that FlexWatt heat tape or a heating pad (the kind used for humans) on a rheostat will work.
Back to top Go down
maxhorsley
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
maxhorsley

PostSubject: Re: Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak)   Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak) EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 4:07 am

...FYI....I do have a 3' strip of 4" heat tape you're welcome to come get--also, i have connections and a few spare 6' lampcords(you'd have to pay me the $2.00 for 1....lol....j/k) anyhow...if you want, i'll hook you up-i even have plenty of rolls of tin tape, i could cut you a few strips. You're welcome to give me a call and i'll set you up. Max 808-772-7989 ---I'm in North Suffolk, may be close depending on what part of Chesapeake you're in.
Back to top Go down
Southern_Comfort_Reptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak)   Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak) EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 4:14 am

Its past your bedtime Max
Back to top Go down
Dementeddogz
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Dementeddogz

PostSubject: Re: Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak)   Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak) EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 4:15 am

11" would work much better then 4" on the larger Rubbermaid containers.
Back to top Go down
maxhorsley
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
maxhorsley

PostSubject: Re: Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak)   Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak) EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 11:11 am

LOL, i bet it would-although I just kkep mine in large rubbermaid tubs in the corner of the reptile room and they breed like crazy...haven't made any "superspecial" tubs heat tape yet. (LOL Ryan...i know-I had been on the phone with friends in Cali then Hawaii last night and lost track of time) affraid 
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak)   Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak) EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 12:06 pm

I use a ceramic heat lamp in a fixture.  Dubias do breed faster with more heat.  I keep mine above 90 degrees and they breed like crazy.  

Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak) 15522044
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Dementeddogz
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Dementeddogz

PostSubject: Re: Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak)   Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak) EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 1:34 pm

Yeah 90-95 ambient not near heat source and they do great.
Back to top Go down
Rhuwme
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Rhuwme

PostSubject: Re: Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak)   Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak) EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 2:19 pm

Demented, I'm interested in seeing pics of your tub with the flexwatt. I've got an UTH pad for my exo terra, but I know that won't work on my rubbermaid tote, so the flexwatt might be my only other option.
Back to top Go down
maxhorsley
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
maxhorsley

PostSubject: Re: Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak)   Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak) EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 2:21 pm

may have to try that....been keeping mine at snake ambient temp in room. Can't imagine them doing even better. Already producing 1k a week at my best guestimate. Shocked 
Back to top Go down
Dementeddogz
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Dementeddogz

PostSubject: Re: Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak)   Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak) EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 2:42 pm

Rhuwme wrote:
Demented, I'm interested in seeing pics of your tub with the flexwatt.  I've got an UTH pad for my exo terra, but I know that won't work on my rubbermaid tote, so the flexwatt might be my only other option.

Ill get some pics tonight and get them up or a quick vid. Cant see actual flexwatt since its sealed up but can give quick visual walk thru.

I usually leave my breeding tub alone after filling up feedin bin, when feeding bin(s) get low i usually clean up main bins and have enough to feed/and sell until next cycle. Less maintenance, unless its breeding season then im going thru 10k a week 0.o
Back to top Go down
scalyfoot
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak)   Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak) EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 11:48 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the response. My starter dubia colony arrived today. Tub was all set up and waiting. May just keep them in the critter room and see how they do, aka Max's post. Sure beats paying $5.99 for 12 at the petshop. Looks like as readily available and numerous as they are, they wouldn't be so dang expensive. But the dragons sure jump on them, like my brothers use to jump on a chocolate cake! (Bless their little red-necked hearts!)
Back to top Go down
Southern_Comfort_Reptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak)   Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak) EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 12:03 am

scalyfoot wrote:
Hey guys, thanks for the response. My starter dubia colony arrived today.  Tub was all set up and waiting.  May just keep them in the critter room and see how they do, aka Max's post.  Sure beats paying $5.99 for 12 at the petshop.  Looks like as readily available and numerous as they are, they wouldn't be so dang expensive.  But the dragons sure jump on them, like my brothers use to jump on a chocolate cake!  (Bless their little red-necked hearts!)

Whats wrong with rednecks?! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak)   Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak) Empty

Back to top Go down

Heat Source for Dubias(a.k.a. lizard steak)
Page 1 of 1