VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

does anyone breed mealworms?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mommaduck224
Established Member
Established Member

does anyone breed mealworms? Empty
PostSubject: does anyone breed mealworms?   does anyone breed mealworms? EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 9:31 pm

I got some mealworms a couple weeks ago that we thought had died an when i shook the container to make sure none were alive and found beetles in there. Since we have to buy them so much we are planning on trying our hand at breeding them. I was wonering what types of fruits or veggies you guys use. Also as far as substrate all the research ive done says bran or oats or a mix of both. But others say wheat germ is good also. So any advice would be great. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: does anyone breed mealworms?   does anyone breed mealworms? EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 11:57 pm

You'll be fine with oats and potatoes/carrots. However, if you can get an fine meal, you can use a strainer to sift the large ones out for feeding which makes it much easier. Mealworms are really easy to breed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Dementeddogz
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Dementeddogz

PostSubject: Re: does anyone breed mealworms?   does anyone breed mealworms? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 12:31 am

Bran works great, can actually grab online or ebay fairly cheap. I mainly use that, or roach chow in a pinch, and potatoes and just use one or two of the tall tupper drawers set ups with different shelves for metamorphosing, beetles, micros, and large. Very easy to breed, most important thing to do is rotate beetles substrate monthly or they will eat the worms before you can even see them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.morphedout.com
mommaduck224
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: does anyone breed mealworms?   does anyone breed mealworms? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 12:55 am

Thanks. Im going once my husband gets off to get what i can from the store.
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: does anyone breed mealworms?   does anyone breed mealworms? EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 12:44 am

I give mine sweet potatoes, white potato, carrot and apple and use oats for substrate, but sifting is difficult, I will probably switch to bran the next time I clean them.
Back to top Go down
mommaduck224
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: does anyone breed mealworms?   does anyone breed mealworms? EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 1:55 am

I cant seem to find bran anywhere so i did a mix of oat and wheat germ. And they have carrots and white potato riht now
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: does anyone breed mealworms?   does anyone breed mealworms? Empty

Back to top Go down

does anyone breed mealworms?
Page 1 of 1