VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

can you breed a leopard and a fat tail together?

Go down 
+3
Jabberwocky Dragons
gatto152
sablegirl67
7 posters
AuthorMessage
sablegirl67

can you breed a leopard and a fat tail together? Empty
PostSubject: can you breed a leopard and a fat tail together?   can you breed a leopard and a fat tail together? EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 12:38 am

hELLO EVERYONE, My name is Mary, I am new to this site, but Iam curious as to if anyone has ever heard of a leopard gecko and a fat tail gecko breeding?
Back to top Go down
gatto152
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
gatto152

PostSubject: Re: can you breed a leopard and a fat tail together?   can you breed a leopard and a fat tail together? EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 10:37 am

Unfortunately, you can't because of the the different recessive and dominant genes there not compatible. If you try that can lead to health issues such as m.b.d. and even death.
they should not be housed together either because of the different health and temperature differences. If you do chose to, they will be very stressed that can cause aggression and death.
Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: can you breed a leopard and a fat tail together?   can you breed a leopard and a fat tail together? EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 10:57 am

I have read of several breedings that produce fertile eggs but the embryos always ends up dying. I think there are just many differences to produce long term viable embryos.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: can you breed a leopard and a fat tail together?   can you breed a leopard and a fat tail together? EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 11:02 am

Agree with both post it's a fatal ending.
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: can you breed a leopard and a fat tail together?   can you breed a leopard and a fat tail together? EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 1:30 am

These are two separate species. I realize that this is probably opening a can of worms but IMO the natural world has enough problems without producing abominations.
Chip
Back to top Go down
sablegirl67

PostSubject: Re: can you breed a leopard and a fat tail together?   can you breed a leopard and a fat tail together? EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 2:08 am

I have had them together for a year now and the leopard was the one that got the fat tail to start eating crickets again, for she was a rescue and i had to feed her baby food for about 6 months and could never get her to eat crickets but when i got the leopard gecko and put thm together after a couple days of watching the leopard eat the crickets she then started to eat them also, I got the leopard from a pet expo when it was a baby, im realy not sure if its a m or f, but they have always gotten along and i have never had problems with them fighting or anything and they have been together for a year and a couple months and get along just fine and they are very healthy
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: can you breed a leopard and a fat tail together?   can you breed a leopard and a fat tail together? EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 8:37 pm

It is recommended not to keep different species together. While I have nothing against hybrids, for the health of your animals, it is best you separate them. Their care is actually quite similar. The temperature range is about the same. 75 for the cool side, around 88 for the warm side. African fat tailed geckos need more humidity than leopards I think.

It is not recommended to keep them together though. You are keeping two animals that would not meet in nature together in a glass box. If one is a male, he might bully the female, or if they are both male, they could fight when they are mature. If one gets sick, the other may get sick. If you start seeing regurgitated crickets, how do you know which one did it?
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
dsteamn
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: can you breed a leopard and a fat tail together?   can you breed a leopard and a fat tail together? EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 9:50 pm

Also, even if you could breed them, why would you want to?
Back to top Go down
sablegirl67

PostSubject: Re: can you breed a leopard and a fat tail together?   can you breed a leopard and a fat tail together? EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 10:03 pm

I was talking to someone I know that owns an exotic pet store and we were talking about different things and I had asked him about it and he said he had heard of someone doing it but had never seen them. there was no real reason, I was just wanting to know if it had ever been done or was possible, I would by no means do anything to hurt my animals, so please dont get the wrong opinion, my animals are very well taken care of and in no way mistreated.
Back to top Go down
dsteamn
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: can you breed a leopard and a fat tail together?   can you breed a leopard and a fat tail together? EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 3:13 am

I don't think anyone has the wrong idea or thinks you are mistreating your animals Mary. I think sometimes people are just misinformed about what should and shouldn't be done when they get pets. Just because something has worked up until now does not mean that is the ideal thing to do in the future.

For example, when I bred my blue tongue skinks and had over a dozen babies, I was able to keep them in a tank all together. As they got older, some started showing dominance over others and had to be separated. Now that they are 6 or 7 months old, they all need their own enclosure. Otherwise, they would fight and possibly kill each other.

When you have two different species of animals, especially ones that come from different areas and never see each other in the wild, its just asking for trouble if the plan is to keep them together indefinitely. They may have been ok up until now, but be assured that the day will come when one will probably turn on the other and cause a possible blood bath. I don't think anyone is trying to tell you what to do with your animals, but it is food for thought. The people who have made suggestions are quite knowledgeable and own dozens of different reptiles (look below their names in the posts).

The purpose of this forum is to educate and exchange ideas about our beloved reptiles. Please feel free to post questions any time. There is always someone who can help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: can you breed a leopard and a fat tail together?   can you breed a leopard and a fat tail together? Empty

Back to top Go down

can you breed a leopard and a fat tail together?
Page 1 of 1