VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tub sizes for adult ball pythons?

Go down 
+2
Focal
derpinah
6 posters
AuthorMessage
derpinah
Established Member
Established Member
derpinah

Tub sizes for adult ball pythons? Empty
PostSubject: Tub sizes for adult ball pythons?   Tub sizes for adult ball pythons? EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 7:31 pm

I picked up an Animal Plastics rack and Helix T-stat which holds fourteen 15 quart tubs or seven 32 quart tubs (or a mix of the two sizes). I'd like to have all my ball pythons in the rack. Right now I have an 1100 gram male, and two 2012 females. The females are in 15 qt tubs. I've surfed around google and have read mixed reviews about tub sizes and adult BPs. Is my 32 qt. tub too small for my male? Right now he's in a 40 gallon breeder tank which is quite a bit larger than the tubs.

What size tubs do you keep/recommend keeping your adult males and adult females in? Also, with the 32 quart tubs, do you use one or two hides? It seems like such a snug fit. I'd like to purchase some of the hides from: http://www.reptilebasics.com/hide-boxes but I'm unsure at to which size would be best.

Thanks,
Shanna

Last edited by derpinah on Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ...typos)
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Tub sizes for adult ball pythons?   Tub sizes for adult ball pythons? EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 7:57 pm

I think he would be fine in a 32qt with a med or large hide. I've kept 3000g+ girls in 42qts just fine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Tub sizes for adult ball pythons?   Tub sizes for adult ball pythons? EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 9:34 am

All of ours are in 32qt tubs... except the smaller ones which we used dividers to make the 32qt tub into 16qts or if they are alot smaller they are in the hatchling rack.

We have thought of getting a rack that holds 42qt but I think the 32qts should be fine... atleast that's what I have heard anyway
Back to top Go down
derpinah
Established Member
Established Member
derpinah

PostSubject: Re: Tub sizes for adult ball pythons?   Tub sizes for adult ball pythons? EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 1:31 pm

Focal wrote:
I think he would be fine in a 32qt with a med or large hide. I've kept 3000g+ girls in 42qts just fine.

smb2585 wrote:
All of ours are in 32qt tubs... except the smaller ones which we used dividers to make the 32qt tub into 16qts or if they are alot smaller they are in the hatchling rack.

We have thought of getting a rack that holds 42qt but I think the 32qts should be fine... atleast that's what I have heard anyway

@ Focal - Thanks! Will 1 hide will be enough?

@ smb2585 - Thanks! I'd like to get the 41qt tubs once my girls get big. Right now my mojave is 60 grams and my normal is 120 grams, so it'll be at least 1.5-2 years before I have to worry about getting a bigger rack for them. Unless my normal gets hugenorous, I think she'd prefer the 32 qt, she doesn't seem to enjoy being held..at all and is always in her hide, while the mojave likes to roam and enjoys being out of the tub.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Tub sizes for adult ball pythons?   Tub sizes for adult ball pythons? EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 2:13 pm

I use to use two hides but I figured out they only like to use the same one. Some people don't even use hides in their tubs because the tubs already offer a certain amount of security so I think one would be fine. You can always get two (one large and one medium) and have a back up. I never seem to have enough of each size and an extra tub is always handy later.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
derpinah
Established Member
Established Member
derpinah

PostSubject: Re: Tub sizes for adult ball pythons?   Tub sizes for adult ball pythons? EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 3:25 pm

Focal wrote:
I use to use two hides but I figured out they only like to use the same one. Some people don't even use hides in their tubs because the tubs already offer a certain amount of security so I think one would be fine. You can always get two (one large and one medium) and have a back up. I never seem to have enough of each size and an extra tub is always handy later.

Thanks, Nick!
Back to top Go down
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
BlackboxStar

PostSubject: Re: Tub sizes for adult ball pythons?   Tub sizes for adult ball pythons? EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 4:07 pm

in our tubs we offer a hide, but most of our snakes seem to prefer to burrow under the paper.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Tub sizes for adult ball pythons?   Tub sizes for adult ball pythons? EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 8:30 pm

Personally it depends on the snake. I have my two largest female ball pythons in 41qt tubs. I have the rest of my adult females and males in 28qt and 32qt tubs. I only offer hides for picky eaters.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
derpinah
Established Member
Established Member
derpinah

PostSubject: Re: Tub sizes for adult ball pythons?   Tub sizes for adult ball pythons? EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 12:09 pm

Thanks everyone! You guys are always so patient and helpful to us newbies!
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Tub sizes for adult ball pythons?   Tub sizes for adult ball pythons? EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 1:48 pm

And we have found that alot of ours that have hides won't eat and when we take the hides away they eat fine... and we have others that are complete opposite... it just depends on the snake, I swear they all have their own personalities. Our largest female is in a 32qt and she is about 1700 grams (even after laying this year) and she has a very large hide and bowl in her tub. She seems to do well in it. Until we see that it is an issue we will probably keep them in 32... again it just depends on the snake as well.. Smile iuse your best judgement. you will learn their personalities and who likes what and who prefers what. We had to move some of them to different racks (just tried it for the heck of it for the picky eaters) and they started eating... I think sometimes it is the scent of others... We have a female that stopped eating when the breeder girls laid their eggs... we moved her to the other side of the room in a different rack and she started eating again... You might have to play around with different things until you realize what your snake(s) like best.
Back to top Go down
Cp3_Pythons
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Cp3_Pythons

PostSubject: Re: Tub sizes for adult ball pythons?   Tub sizes for adult ball pythons? EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 1:23 pm

I use 28 qt and 41 qt tubs 28 for male's or juvi/sub adult females and 41's for larger females and gravid female's as well...
as for the tub set up No hide just a water bowl and either substrate or paper ( mostly use paper it make's cleaning a breeze simply take out the old paper wipe the tub down put in new paper.

Once a week I clean all tubs every other week I wash them out and do a thorough cleaning of them... water bowls get cleaned weekly
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tub sizes for adult ball pythons?   Tub sizes for adult ball pythons? Empty

Back to top Go down

Tub sizes for adult ball pythons?
Page 1 of 1