VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Water crystal/gel question

Go down 
+2
MADexotics
Focal
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Water crystal/gel question Empty
PostSubject: Water crystal/gel question   Water crystal/gel question EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 12:28 pm

How often do you change out your water crystals/gel? I've had some in with the roaches for several days now and the stuff won't go away.

How often should I change this stuff before it goes bad or grows bacteria? It still looks great but when I used just water, I would have to clean and refill daily.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
MADexotics
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
MADexotics

PostSubject: Re: Water crystal/gel question   Water crystal/gel question EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 12:58 pm

I change mine out every couple days but mine tend to go through it really quickly or it gets dirty from them wandering through it or pooping in it. So I've never had it go so long that I haven't had to change it
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

PostSubject: Re: Water crystal/gel question   Water crystal/gel question EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 1:11 pm

i have a small shallow dish that i fill once every 2 days or so..... its normally gone by the time i put more in. i dont like to put too much in beause like MADexotics said, they dirty it and it goes to waste. they also almost constantly have lettuce or oranges or carrots, etc etc so i dont even use that much of the gel.
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Water crystal/gel question   Water crystal/gel question EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 1:26 pm

Traditionally I have never used any of those products. I have always viewed them as a money making gimmick. I water my insects with fresh fruits and veggies. Every so often I may start seeing a few too many fruitflies and I would just cut back and the problem would resolve. This winter however the damn fruitflies are starting to take over the warm room so I am actually thinking about cutting out the fruit and veggies for a month and switching to one of these artificial water sources. In your collective experiences is any one brand superior?
Chip
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Water crystal/gel question   Water crystal/gel question EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 1:35 pm

They are pretty much the same. Just need to make sure there is no fertilizer in the crystals, because they are generally available for gardening. Also, I've learned that the large crystals work better and hold more moisture for longer periods of time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Water crystal/gel question   Water crystal/gel question EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 2:14 pm

I'm using the large crystals. They still look clean and I think it's been 5 or 6 days. They haven't shrunk much either. I think I'll play it safer than sorry on this one and change them every 3 days.
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

PostSubject: Re: Water crystal/gel question   Water crystal/gel question EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 2:16 pm

well as long as nothing is growing on them and they arent covered in roach crap id leave it in, but thats just me. but like i said i only put a small amount in at a time, prevents waste. how much are you putting in a once?
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Water crystal/gel question   Water crystal/gel question EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 3:29 pm

Quote :
I'm using the large crystals. They still look clean and I think it's been 5 or 6 days. They haven't shrunk much either. I think I'll play it safer than sorry on this one and change them every 3 days.

I think your using way too many if they still haven't shrunk after 5 or 6 days. I would put a very minimal amount in and see how long it takes to disappear and then just add more until you hit the right ratio of dubias to water crystals.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Water crystal/gel question   Water crystal/gel question EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 5:26 pm

I'm going to try that. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Water crystal/gel question   Water crystal/gel question Empty

Back to top Go down

Water crystal/gel question
Page 1 of 1