VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

another dubia question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

another dubia question Empty
PostSubject: another dubia question   another dubia question EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 12:55 pm

another dubia question IMG_2517

this question is about sex, lol. which is a male and which is a female in the pic above? and why? please dont tell me because of the wings Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

PostSubject: Re: another dubia question   another dubia question EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 12:57 pm

and has anyone else noticed that males HATE to be held or even touched? all the females i have just chill when i pick them up and the males start freaking out. i wonder why that is, hmmmm......
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: another dubia question   another dubia question EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 4:14 pm

I think it's the lighter color on the belly that makes it a female.

Edit: is it also because the male (on the left) has that extra scale (lack of a better word) at the end?
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: another dubia question   another dubia question EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 4:21 pm

The extra scale (works for me) is how I tell. They look pretty similar color-wise as nymphs but males should still have that extra scale. It's really useful for sorting before the wings grow and if you don't want to feed off your females.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

PostSubject: Re: another dubia question   another dubia question EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 4:26 pm

With males the last segment is small and narrow. With females, the last segment is large, as wide as the abdomen. It's not really an "extra" scale from what I can tell, it's just smaller on males.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: another dubia question   another dubia question EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 4:38 pm

Is this apparent in even very small nymphs or do you have to wait until they are close to molting into adults?
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: another dubia question   another dubia question EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 4:42 pm

The narrow segment should be visible in mid-size nymphs. I don't know about very small nymphs but you definitely don't have to wait until they are close to adults.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

PostSubject: Re: another dubia question   another dubia question EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 4:48 pm

ClarkeReptiles wrote:
Is this apparent in even very small nymphs or do you have to wait until they are close to molting into adults?

I suppose if you are able to hold a little one still and could actually see the last segment you could, but good luck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: another dubia question   another dubia question Empty

Back to top Go down

another dubia question
Page 1 of 1