VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

does brumation support double clutches with colubrids?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mamasmarco
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
mamasmarco

does brumation support double clutches with colubrids? Empty
PostSubject: does brumation support double clutches with colubrids?   does brumation support double clutches with colubrids? EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 2:39 am

well, the title says it all..
I'm wondering if i should let my adult corns and kings hybernate for a few months this coming winter. I'd love to see if i'm able to get a second clutch out of the girls next year and was hoping that somebody could maybe give me some advice on how to brumate them, what time i should begin with it and how to feed them right after their first clutch..

Thanks up front guys

Marco
Back to top Go down
http://www.hamptonroadscritters.com
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

PostSubject: Re: does brumation support double clutches with colubrids?   does brumation support double clutches with colubrids? EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 10:40 am

Hey Marco, I do brumate kings and corns but I don't believe it's necessary for double clutching. A lot of breeders, especially in Florida, do not brumate at all and get double clutches. The biggest factor in reintroducing the male a second time is the health factor of the female. A determining factor for me is how much weight she has regained after her first clutch to replace what she lost. I feed heavily after she lays. The second clutch will usually only be about half the size of the first becasue she still hasn't regained all that she lost. If she is a young corn breeding for the first time then I do not attempt because it takes too out of their bodies that aren't fully grown yet.

For brumating I usually start by giving them their last meal the first week of November. Once I'm sure that it has passed then I gradually decrease their heat over the course of a week until it is at room temp. I let it stay at room temp for a week then cool them down to 50-55 degress. I designed a "brumation cooler" that I posted pics of in the incubation/brumation section. Mine is controlled with a thermostat and I keep water with them the whole time even though some do not. The trick is finding a place where the temps stay at or below 55 degrees. Some people use a far corner in a basement, some place under the house but that's inconvenient for checking up on. I've been lucky in that I've been able to place on a covered porch on the north side of the house. It gets no direct sunlight.

Around the first week of March I take them out and place them back in their cages and gradually bring the temps back up to normal. After they've been at normal temps for a week I offer a small food item so the body can get back to digesting again easier. Once that item passes I feed appropriate sized. The first shed after brumation is usually when the female will ovulate and it is then that I introduce the male. If breeding kings keep a close eye on them when introducing and after to make sure they want to breed and not eat!!

For double clutch attempts I wait for the post laying shed then reintroduce the male again.
Back to top Go down
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

PostSubject: Re: does brumation support double clutches with colubrids?   does brumation support double clutches with colubrids? EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 10:59 am

I forgot to mention that if you can't achieve the desired low temps then do not brumate. If the temps are not low enough then the body will be burning calories without taking in food to replace it and the snake can loose too much weight and not be a good breeding candidate as well as being more susceptible to illness in that weakend state.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: does brumation support double clutches with colubrids?   does brumation support double clutches with colubrids? EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 11:44 am

Great reply and info!
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
mamasmarco
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
mamasmarco

PostSubject: Re: does brumation support double clutches with colubrids?   does brumation support double clutches with colubrids? EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 10:01 pm

Wow yes, Nick is absolutely right. Thank you very much for the details. I'm fairly new in the colubrid world and want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing. All of my ready colubrids are first timers and I won't try to double clutch them this year.

Again, thanks Ralph that was a big help!!
Back to top Go down
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

PostSubject: Re: does brumation support double clutches with colubrids?   does brumation support double clutches with colubrids? EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 11:41 pm

You're very welcome. It all really sounds more complicated than it is. Breeding corns and kings is far easier than Balls and Boas IMO.
Back to top Go down
mamasmarco
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
mamasmarco

PostSubject: Re: does brumation support double clutches with colubrids?   does brumation support double clutches with colubrids? EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 12:10 am

It doesn't sound too complicated, it's just something ill have to write down and memorize it by doing it the first time. When you breed different species you might mix things up and that could be fatal..
Again, thank you and maybe we'll have something to trade next year Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: does brumation support double clutches with colubrids?   does brumation support double clutches with colubrids? Empty

Back to top Go down

does brumation support double clutches with colubrids?
Page 1 of 1