VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet

Go down 
+4
Cp3_Pythons
smb2585
ClarkeReptiles
Chuck H.
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Chuck H.
Chuck H.

Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet Empty
PostSubject: Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet   Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 5:49 pm

This isn't new, but highlights some extreme, in my opinion, examples of folks in our hobby. It seems most of the incidents reviewed all have one thing in common: carelessness on the part of the owners. Whether dealing with large monitors free roaming throughout the home or venomous snakes, the folks that lost their lives didn't seem to take basic precautions to ensure their own safety (and that of their animals after the fact). If you haven't seen it, it's interesting - I don't agree with all of the commentary (such as the show's attempt to explain why people are attracted to reptiles to begin with) but it's worth a watch.

Chuck
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet   Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 8:58 am

Haha, you were watching that too? While I don't like the show, I couldn't help but watch. It really is annoying that they only focus on the most extreme cases. The people they use for this show lack common sense.

I didn't get to see the one about the lady with the venomous snakes, but I did come in during the guy with the monitors. Really? Free roaming around the house? Then, the show after that was people with big cats. I'm all for people having exotics but the lady with the panther was just dumb. You never ever get comfortable with a big cat...ever.

Unfortunately, its shows like this that are going to fuel the fire against us. People will watch this show and say to themselves "What dangerous animals. People shouldn't be allowed to have them." And then it will ruin it for the rest of us that DO have common sense. I have sense enough not to keep venomous snakes because I know I couldn't manage them. I know I'd slip up and get bitten, but that doesn't mean someone else can handle keeping hots. With proper training and experience, venomous can make very interesting pets, as can any exotic. You just have to have common sense and knowledge about what you are caring for.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet   Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 10:38 am

Animal planet rarely showcases good shows with positives on our hobby. National geographic does but is not included in our basic package.
Back to top Go down
Cp3_Pythons
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Cp3_Pythons

PostSubject: Re: Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet   Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 6:27 pm

I've seen some of the show's on Animal Planet clearly mis name and mis label certian species of reptile's... happens more than you know actually Kinda sad...

NatGeo is better and it has more of a variety of show's to watch...
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet   Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 11:58 am

Thats what I heard Clarence... I also heard that Animal Planet is sponsored or owned or in cahoots with HSUS ?
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet   Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 12:26 pm

That's what I've heard as well. That would explain these kinds of TV shows.
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet   Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 12:28 pm

Yeah really. Even that Billy The Exterminator guy is an idiot. Lady had a BP in her house and he referred to it as a "deadly python" and talks about how he can grow to be ___ ft and such... i was like WTFFFFFF.. i havent watched the show since then.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet   Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 1:38 pm

Wish we could write animal planet a letter and have everyone who is tired of these shows sign it.
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet   Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 2:24 pm

All we can do is boycott and not watch---even if it is intriguing to watch...
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet   Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 9:49 am

But does that really do anything? I mean, do THEY know we are not watching it? Its only interesting to watch because you get to see just how dumb some people can be.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet   Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 10:12 am

Not US specifically but they know exactly how many people are watching. When viewership starts dropping, sponsors start pulling their ads, and ultimately the show gets canceled in favor of a new show which can bring ratings, viewership, and ads back.

I don't know how effective a boycott would be but I personally choose not to watch Fatal Attractions anymore because I refuse to support anything that treats reptile owners and exotic animal owners so badly. I can definitely believe that HSUS has their tentacles..err fingers in this.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet   Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 10:28 am

Well said Brian - It is hard to not watch a show but at the same time I do not support stupidity or bringing our hobby down or giving it a bad name.

And when/if Casey Anthony gets a book deal or a show or a movie I will not support that monster either.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet   Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 12:31 pm

Completely agree. Although this probably deserves its own thread, I actually kept up on the trial as it set a legal precedent for these situations. While she escaped justice, she did succeed in becoming the #1 most hated person in America, even surpassing Osama while he was still alive according to one scientific poll I saw.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet   Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet EmptyFri May 31, 2013 4:58 am

With extreme cases, exaggerated statistics, scary atmosphere, and constant "THIS IS WHY NO ONE SHOULD OWN ANYTHING OTHER THAN A RESCUE CAT OR DOG EVER OR IT WILL TURN ON YOU AND KILL YOU" type comments, that show is literally made with the idea of having ignorant voters jump on board with Animal Rights type laws. Maybe I'm paranoid? I feel like that show was made with an agenda.
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet   Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet EmptyFri May 31, 2013 9:57 am

Most shows like that, you say stupid then watch. Me included. But if your a well trained reptile person these world are going though your mind..... There not helping the cause and of course what a dumb &$$.
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

PostSubject: Re: Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet   Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet EmptyFri May 31, 2013 2:17 pm

ClarkeReptiles wrote:
Unfortunately, its shows like this that are going to fuel the fire against us.

This is what tears me up the most. I feel actual pain when I watch these shows. Professionalism and expertise are not good television material like inexperience and ignorance.
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser.aspx?UserId=5fb7c078-e6af-4
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet   Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet Empty

Back to top Go down

Watching "Fatal Attractions" reptile episode on Animal Planet
Page 1 of 1