VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Transitioning to frozen thawed diet

Go down 
+3
Focal
ClarkeReptiles
noviceherper
7 posters
AuthorMessage
noviceherper

Transitioning to frozen thawed diet Empty
PostSubject: Transitioning to frozen thawed diet   Transitioning to frozen thawed diet EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 11:12 pm

I just got a young BP (hatched in Sept) and am trying to feed prekilled prey. Any tricks to get him to eat frozen thawed. Last fed a rat fuzzy on 10/24. Thanks for any suggestions.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Transitioning to frozen thawed diet   Transitioning to frozen thawed diet EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 9:48 am

Young bps are usually pretty easy to switch over to f/t. I have most of my collection to the point where I don't even need to heat the f/t feeder up at all. Room temp and they are good to go.

If you already have the snake eating pre-killed then try a f/t but heat it up a bit. For my hatchlings right now, I'm heating their f/t up under a heat lamp. Get it slightly warm to the touch. Try getting the head and chest area the warmest (but not hot) as this would be the areas naturally warmer in a live rodent. This, coupled with some movement (zombie rat dance) should intice the snake to eat.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Transitioning to frozen thawed diet   Transitioning to frozen thawed diet EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 10:11 am

Jesse has some great tips and just to add, one thing I have learned is to not disturb them before you attempt the above. Before, I was taking their hide out and they would get startled before I tried to feed them. This kicks them out of instinctual mode and into a "what the hecks going on" mode and they can be to startled to eat, especially when trying something new. I would be very quiet, around night time, and slowing open their enclosure with the prepared rat/mouse and dangle it in front of their hide. Basically, you don't want them to notice you first, you want them to notice the food. Eventually, you should just be able to lay it in there and they will find it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Transitioning to frozen thawed diet   Transitioning to frozen thawed diet EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 10:16 am

We only have a few that eat f/t, the rest are on live... we find that it is more convenient when they eat live, especially when you have more than a few... but the ones that are on f/t, we keep on f/t which I think is only 2 of 17 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Transitioning to frozen thawed diet   Transitioning to frozen thawed diet EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 10:24 am

See I find f/t more convenient because I can buy f/t in bulk for cheaper than buying live at the store. I feed 13 adult ball pythons - all but 2-3 are eating f/t (I say 2-3 because a female that originally would only take live took a f/t the other day) Of my hatchlings, the ones that are eating eat live, except I have gotten one to take f/t. I spend roughly $15-20 a week on live food. That only feeds a few hatchlings and 2 adult snakes. For f/t I spend roughly $12-14 feeding the rest of my collection per week.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Transitioning to frozen thawed diet   Transitioning to frozen thawed diet EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 10:27 am

I know the live is way more expensive but having to heat them up is the time consuming part. We tried to do just the room temp thing & it didnt work, and to do that for 17.... *sigh* I am afraid it would take a while. So my bee and the albino female we got in tinley are on f/t. the rest eat live.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Transitioning to frozen thawed diet   Transitioning to frozen thawed diet EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 10:45 am

I feed my babies a mix of live and F/T. Feeding F/T is a little more time consuming, but not that much. Check out this video if you think F/T is a lot more work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7OuTWUBwZs&feature=related

Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Transitioning to frozen thawed diet   Transitioning to frozen thawed diet EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 10:51 am

Nice video Don - thanks for that. I will have to show that when I get home. It is almost feeding day at our house so maybe we will give it a try?
Back to top Go down
noviceherper

PostSubject: Re: Transitioning to frozen thawed diet   Transitioning to frozen thawed diet EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 9:55 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I may be startling the little guy by lifting up his hide when feeding. I'll try the stealth approach. I didn't know how long I should go before offering live food. It's been about 10 days since he last ate. Seems to be in good condition in terms of weight and activity.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Transitioning to frozen thawed diet   Transitioning to frozen thawed diet EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 10:05 pm

I would track its weight. You can get a cheap scale from Walmart or online that reads grams, if you don't have one. I track when they go number one and two and how much weight in food goes in. If he's not losing weight (less than 10% maybe), I would hold out another week or so and try the frozen/thawed a few more times before giving in. Sometimes it's a battle of wits but this is a great time of year to try. All my snakes are eating ravenously Very Happy
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Transitioning to frozen thawed diet   Transitioning to frozen thawed diet EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 10:09 pm

Ours too Nick! I swear they would keep eating if we let them and didn't cut them off.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Transitioning to frozen thawed diet   Transitioning to frozen thawed diet EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 10:13 pm

smb2585 wrote:
Ours too Nick! I swear they would keep eating if we let them and didn't cut them off.

Very Happy they're pigs LOL
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Transitioning to frozen thawed diet   Transitioning to frozen thawed diet EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 10:15 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Transitioning to frozen thawed diet   Transitioning to frozen thawed diet EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 10:27 pm

Yes they are... we fed them today, opened tubs a few minutes ago and they are all ready to eat again
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

PostSubject: Re: Transitioning to frozen thawed diet   Transitioning to frozen thawed diet EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 10:52 pm

my female pastel is a pig!!! i got her from zues, and thats all she wants to do is eat. i bet if i just kept feeding her all day long she would take every rat, little porker Very Happy my oldest normal female is a pretty big pig too. i love her, she is my scapegoat..... if i buy to many rats, or thaw out too many frozen mice she will clean up after me Very Happy no matter the size, how cold or warm it is, how much she has already eaten, she will take it..... shes my baby.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transitioning to frozen thawed diet   Transitioning to frozen thawed diet Empty

Back to top Go down

Transitioning to frozen thawed diet
Page 1 of 1