VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

question on switching from live to frozen thawed

Go down 
+2
Jabberwocky Dragons
dj6884
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dj6884
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
dj6884

question on switching from live to frozen thawed Empty
PostSubject: question on switching from live to frozen thawed   question on switching from live to frozen thawed EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 10:44 pm

im tryng to switch my sub adults and adults to frozen thawed can anyone help ive tried blowdrieng them after there thawed but no luck two took to it the rest havent thanks for any help
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: question on switching from live to frozen thawed   question on switching from live to frozen thawed EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 8:48 am

The thawing process itself can help. I thaw in a tub placed over a human heat pad set on the high setting. It takes 4-5 hours and flip once. Keep the thawing rats in the same room as the snakes so that lovely rat smell (which I can't smell) hits them.

Within 4 hours of thawing, there's usually a head sticking out of every hide. Hit with a blow dryer and give it a try. I have a little over half of the snakes trained to simply take the rat off tongs by dangling it above their head. The rest will either need a zombie dance or actually need the rat just left alone with them overnight and it will disappear by the next morning.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Don

PostSubject: Re: question on switching from live to frozen thawed   question on switching from live to frozen thawed EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 9:48 am

Patience is the key to success. Make sure that the rats are warm to the touch. I've had better luck when the rats are warmer. Feed at night. Follow Brian's advice above.

BPs feeding response is triggered by movement, heat and smell. Duplicate as best you can those elements of a live rat and you should get them to eat. Switching adults and sub-adults takes a little more time.

Also, I would start by weighing the snakes. That way you have a base line weight. Then decide how much weight you are going to allow to drop before putting them back on live before trying again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Kittiekat149
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Kittiekat149

PostSubject: Re: question on switching from live to frozen thawed   question on switching from live to frozen thawed EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 12:26 pm

I take fishing line and a needle and string the rat up on it with a small knot at the end so if the snake grabs it it will release the fishing line fast, and since putting a hole in the rat means blood is gonna come out my snakes take it right away. To me its better then tongs because there isn't something extra coming at the snake to make them stressed or scared.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: question on switching from live to frozen thawed   question on switching from live to frozen thawed EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 12:37 pm

If the rodent is too hot, they won't want it and if they do, it could hurt them. I used to use the hot water technique for switching. Once they are on frozen, I quit heating the rats and they eat them at room temp. Blow drying will only heat the outside and it will cool quicker, not to mention send a weird heat signature. Try to warm the center with a different method.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: question on switching from live to frozen thawed   question on switching from live to frozen thawed EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 12:40 pm

Also, start with freshly killed and then frozen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Shelleyshadows
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Shelleyshadows

PostSubject: Re: question on switching from live to frozen thawed   question on switching from live to frozen thawed EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 12:50 pm

I find that a couple of my snakes are also afraid of the tongs themselves. However, they usually eat if I leave the f/t warmed rat in the enclosure with them overnight. I also cover their enclosure with a towel to give the snakes added security (my albino is super shy).

There is a RUMOR that if you go to KFC and buy a piece of fried chicken, and rub the skin on the rat, the snake will take it. Matt Shifflett first told me this when I was switching my bee I purchased from him over to f/t. It worked for me when I tried it, but it probably doesn't work every time.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=755407926
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: question on switching from live to frozen thawed   question on switching from live to frozen thawed Empty

Back to top Go down

question on switching from live to frozen thawed
Page 1 of 1