VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Venomous regulations

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
4riscorn
4riscorn

Venomous regulations  Empty
PostSubject: Venomous regulations    Venomous regulations  EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 10:50 am

I've been searching and can't seem to find an answer... I may be overlooking it.
Are Eyelash Vipers and Copperheads allowed to be kept in VA? I'm in Frederick County. I have a permit for corns and kings. Didn't want to email them since it may "flag" us. Even though we do not have any venomous., we were taking of gtn a couple but wanted to ck the legality of it first
Back to top Go down
http://Www.nevaehreptiles.com
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Venomous regulations    Venomous regulations  EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 11:37 pm

All the current herp regulations for VA are given here: http://www.virginiaherpetologicalsociety.com/herplaw/index.htm

A good method to use to get valid information is to call the local government and say you're doing research for a book or article. Ask the person you end-up speaking to if you can quote them. Most of the time they will double or triple check the information if they think their name will be attached to it.
Back to top Go down
4riscorn
4riscorn

PostSubject: Re: Venomous regulations    Venomous regulations  EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:11 am

Yea i looked that up. But besides rattlesnakes I didn't see much. We are wanting an Eyelash viper bit can't find a thing on them. And most people in my area are not snake friendly people so I don't know if I'll get any correct answers from the town offices or not. But thanks! I need to sit down with my computer and look since my phone cuts pages off sometimes
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Venomous regulations    Venomous regulations  EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 10:58 am

I try to stay current on herp regulations especially in Northern VA. To my knowledge there are no county level restrictions in Frederick. VA. State law prohibit the possession of the state endangered "canebrake rattlesnake" (Crotalus horridus) Coastal Plain specimens.

If you have carefully considered venomous, I would suggest starting with an indigenous northern copperhead. They are beautiful snakes and typically incapable of delivering a fatal bite. Also if (when) you do get bit, you can say it occurred out in the woods. This way an accidental bite won't reflect poorly on our hobby.
Back to top Go down
4riscorn
4riscorn

PostSubject: Re: Venomous regulations    Venomous regulations  EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 11:10 am

jw wrote:
I try to stay current on herp regulations especially in Northern VA. To my knowledge there are no county level restrictions in Frederick. VA. State law prohibit the possession of the state endangered "canebrake rattlesnake" (Crotalus horridus) Coastal Plain specimens.

If you have carefully considered venomous, I would suggest starting with an indigenous northern copperhead. They are beautiful snakes and typically incapable of delivering a fatal bite. Also if (when) you do get bit, you can say it occurred out in the woods. This way an accidental bite won't reflect poorly on our hobby.

Thank you for that info. My husband is the one who wants the venomous. The copperhead is definitely on our list. With not many others lol. He's been researching and speaking to other owners for a few yrs now. I do not plan on handling them myself. But I'm the one who basically does it full time so I need to know everything too. We are going to Hamburg this weekend so there will be plenty to see
Back to top Go down
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
leftoflarry

PostSubject: Re: Venomous regulations    Venomous regulations  EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 11:11 am

Yeah, I would double check with your county. As far as statewide regulations, there are no limitations on eyelash vipers. However, Frederick county may have recently restricted dangerous animals. Although John is good at keeping up with the regs.

First time hot owners should probably start out with a native species (antivenin/antivenom, however you like to say it) are usually found at local hospitals for these snakes. Copperheads, in my opinion are one of the most beautiful vipers in the world. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.vaherpsociety.com
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ChuckHurd

PostSubject: Re: Venomous regulations    Venomous regulations  EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 9:42 pm

if possible, try to work with someone that already has venomous snakes before getting any of your own....its really not something to learn as you go....best to know it before you get started.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChuckHurd.com
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
leftoflarry

PostSubject: Re: Venomous regulations    Venomous regulations  EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 2:08 am

ChuckHurd wrote:
if possible, try to work with someone that already has venomous snakes before getting any of your own....its really not something to learn as you go....best to know it before you get started.
iagree
Back to top Go down
http://www.vaherpsociety.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Venomous regulations    Venomous regulations  Empty

Back to top Go down

Venomous regulations
Page 1 of 1