VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Breeding Rats?

Go down 
+11
mwooster
b_rickard
ClarkeReptiles
ax2austin
Christopher
smd58
Don
Jabberwocky Dragons
Focal
zues
smb2585
15 posters
AuthorMessage
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 9:21 pm

So we have almost convinced my parents that we should clean out their garage and build a rat breeding area Very Happy

We told them that it would start for just our own needs but if it expands and we sell to others, we will give them X amount of $ for their help.

So we will be doing research over the next few months or so on what kinda things we need... we figure since my dad does drywall and plaster, he should be able to build walls and board off the area we need... hopefully this turns into a good thing for us. So any input you guys might have would be appreciated... or any literature that you guys suggest I read about is helpful too.
Back to top Go down
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
zues

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 9:45 pm

Insulate and drywall. Some will say just use OSB board but I found that a room with drywall that is at least taped and mudded will hold temps better. Make sure you factor in some type of exhaust fan. Go ahead and start with a bigger exhaust fan than you think you will need. I am getting ready to upgrade my exhaust and it's much harder to retrofit than do it the first time. Make sure you have a supplier for food and bedding. What are you going to do with your used bedding? If at all possible a sink would be great.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 9:49 pm

I heard Suffolk feed and seed has Mazuri rat feed for $16 for a 50lb bag.

I've been using the $6 bags of pine from walmart for a few years without any problems.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
zues

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 9:52 pm

Nick if that is true I will hand deliver you another of pos het females that are well started. I have been looking for a local supplier with decent prices. Is it called Suffolk Feed and Seed?
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 10:14 pm

I believe so. Barry told me about it the other day. Here's what I found on google. I think they are owned by Virginia Beach feed and seed

Virginia Beach Feed & Seed
3143 Kings Hwy
Suffolk, VA 23435
757-538-8693

Last edited by Focal X on Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 10:14 pm

We are making a trip to Rich Bakers I believe (he just bought all 3 of the Tinley pick ups we don't need/want) and in turn we are getting a ghost female and a het pied male I believe. He took his garage and made part of it a rat breeding room and the rest of it is for his snakes.

If things go as planned Nick we will check out Suffolk Feed and Seed. As we start off we really won't have a huge high demand for things but as it grows, we will need more.
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 10:19 pm

As for the exhaust fan, I work for an HVAC company and I am sure I can get a good deal on something like that too... I don't know exactly how complicated this is going to be... but after feeding the 17 mouths we had to feed this week, we gotta take some kinda steps to fix that money spent lol.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 9:35 am

Absolutely, we try to breed as much of our own food as possible because of the economics. You also know exactly what's going into your animals' meals.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 10:40 am

Very True Brian! We just feel like spending all that money we spent was ridiculous. And if we are lucky enough to produce anything that is just more mouths to feed... it is going to get REALLY expensive.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 11:22 am

Breeding rats is very rewarding to me. I get almost the same excitement as breeding snakes but on a smaller level with a quicker turn around. But soooo much more work if keeping them indoors LOL.
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 11:43 am

Well it will be in my parents detached garage... but I figure with my dad's skills, the handman skills of Miles, my uncles, and cousins, we can make it work out all right in the end... start off small with just enough for ourselves and then see what happens.. I am excited for it... but I dont want to look at the cute babies because I will fall in love and will not want to feed them...

My parents live about a mile up the road from us so it's not too terribly far away either. And gives us an excuse to always live closer to my parents if/when we move... they take good care of me and my daughter Smile
Back to top Go down
Don

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 12:42 pm

Here is the best deal on rat food I've found. It is 200 lbs for $85 plus $5 for shipping.

http://www.nationalpetpharmacy.com/Product/9093/Native-Earth-18-Percent-Protein-4018-Rodent-Diet-40-lbs

Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 1:44 pm

Thanks Don!
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 9:42 pm

I took my Dad to dinner tonight Wink How nice of me lol. Anyway Miles and I talked to him about our plans, he said we can come this weekend, scope out the garage, clear out the area we want, move all of his tools and work stuff to his office/warehouse, and mark the area in the garage we want with chalk so he knows what section it is. Next week his electrician friend is goin to come dig the trench to finish the wiring from the house to the garage (12 yrs after they bought the house) and install outlets for us... and my dad is going to board up and insulate the area we need... everythings looking good!!

Got my GM at work who is good with wood and making stuff, he is going to help us build the racks and such if we pay for the materials... so far so good!
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 10:19 am

Sounds like a good plan.
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 10:56 am

Yea, until Miles was impatient and started building the racks last night with 2 of his buddies.. needless to say it was unproductive because one guy left early and the other guy was sloppy drunk lol. So Miles is going to my dad's office/warehouse today to get some tools from him to work on it more today... I think Alyssa and I are going to go do something fun
Back to top Go down
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
zues

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 11:49 am

Make sure when you are building your racks that the edge of your tubs are covered by the wood frame of your racks. If the inside edge of your tub is not covered by the wood your rats will chew out in a matter of days if not hours. Quickest way to kicked out of borrowed space is to have a bunch of rats running loose.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 1:53 pm

Farmers Feed & Seed Co's has it for 17.95 a bag.

177 S Main St, Suffolk, VA 23434
(757) 539-5551
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 3:18 pm

Now Miles and my Cousin are working on it in the backyard with all the stuff "borrowed" from my dads office... and my Mom is going to help Miles clean out the garage this week... My mom is pretty interested in it but wants to maybe have a little mouse or rat as a pet lol. I will definately be using all of the information you guys have been sharing with us... thanks!
Back to top Go down
Don

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 7:37 pm

Rats make cool pets. They can be very affectionate. If you are looking for a large pet cage, I've got a few for sale at a very reasonable price.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 11:30 pm

Let's see how my mom does after she sees them...

So far the first rat rack is almost 100% done-ish? A few minor adjustments being made but will take pics of the finished product... minus of course any kind of watering system? just the wood working build part of it... probably get a picture tomorrow since it's dark outside
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 1:33 pm

the weekend long project of Miles making his first set of rat racks is over (finally). He was up and out late every single night and worked on all three from Friday night through now... The finished product minus the watering system...

Breeding Rats? Ratrac10

Next weekend he is going to work on better ones... these were just a few quick ones he did as a trial... my GM at work is going to help him make them more stable/professional like... but not bad for his first try.

And in the time I went outside to look and take a picture, I got bit in the middle of my forehead by a mosquito.... blah!
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 10:06 pm

looking good, when you going to fill them?
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 10:29 pm

those were sold to someone else. We will probably do our own when we have the garage space at my parents set up and ready.
Back to top Go down
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
zues

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 10:42 am

Focal X wrote:
Farmers Feed & Seed Co's has it for 17.95 a bag.

177 S Main St, Suffolk, VA 23434
(757) 539-5551

I just got off the phone with this guy. He only has one bag left but he has a truck coming Tuesday or Wednesday with more. Sounds like he gets 40-50 bags a week. Like Nick said it's 17.95 a bag and that's a great deal for Mazuri. Nick you have a PM incoming. Looks like I owe you a snake.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 12:48 pm

smb2585 wrote:
those were sold to someone else. We will probably do our own when we have the garage space at my parents set up and ready.

Yeah I got a text late last night from someone I know asking me what I thought of them.... I said, I think I know who built them LOL
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 12:56 pm

Yeah buddy Nick....

he is going to start building them on the side so if anyone is interested shoot me a message for details.
Back to top Go down
Christopher
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Christopher

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 12:42 pm

I saw the craigslist ad yesterday. They look good. Wish I was allowed :|
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 12:58 pm

I have paypal....
cryingwithlaughter
Back to top Go down
ax2austin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ax2austin

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 2:38 pm

how much roughly did the supplies cost to build them racks.?
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 2:46 pm

If I ever get back into breeding feeders, I'm going to need racks like that (only shorter cause I'm short). Good looking racks! Keep us updated on your rat breeding.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
ax2austin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ax2austin

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 3:04 pm

i was actually going to instead have them as a at racks use them as a snake rack. obviously a couple modifications would need to be made.
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 3:14 pm

Im not sure on the supplies. He bought enough to build 3 at bought everything at home depot and worked through the night every night one weekend to get them done... now that he knows what he is doing with them they dont take as long to build.

Selling 6 tier for $225 and I think he is doing special on 5 tier for $185??
Back to top Go down
ax2austin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ax2austin

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 4:15 pm

ok i will get back to you on this if i decide to do it.
Back to top Go down
ax2austin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ax2austin

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 4:16 pm

does that include a heating source as well?
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 4:29 pm

No heat source or watering system. Just for Rats. When we do my parents garage we are boarding off a room and having heat put in room.
Back to top Go down
b_rickard
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 11:17 pm

Make sure you guys call them at the feed store before you go. Last time I went they only had one bag. Kind of a wasted trip.
Back to top Go down
mwooster
Established Member
Established Member
mwooster

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 11:08 pm

Just been reading the postings about the Mazuri rodent breeder. You can also get the Mazuri in Smithfield at Sesroh Tack Shop. It's a little more than Suffolk at $21 per bag but better than not having it if you get in a bind like I have before. Just figured I would put it out there. That's the only thing my rats get and I'm producing litters averaging around 16 and had one that produced 25.
Back to top Go down
http://riverpointfarmreptiles.weebly.com/
mwooster
Established Member
Established Member
mwooster

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 11:14 pm

Just been reading the postings about the Mazuri rodent breeder. You can also get the Mazuri in Smithfield at Sesroh Tack Shop. It's a little more than Suffolk at $21 per bag but better than not having it if you get in a bind like I have before. Just figured I would put it out there. That's the only thing my rats get and I'm producing litters averaging around 16 and had one that produced 25.
Back to top Go down
http://riverpointfarmreptiles.weebly.com/
b_rickard
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 11:21 pm

Good to know more places to get it. I believe a plant/garden center in Virginia Beach sells it too. I have seen him selling the Mazuri Tort food this past summer.
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 11:52 pm

They look good! Definately go with Zeus on an exhaust. I have been working/doing breeding colonies with rats and mice for 10 years and developed allergies after 4. I am in a lab, so we don't use a lot of the same things as other people. We use corn cob bedding, highly absorbant, reduces the smell, and is so much easier to clean than shavings (shavings are easy if you are changing frequently). Make sure they have a good light cycle for optimum breeding too (14/10 in the summer months and 12/12 in the winter months). We feed ours Harlan Teklad 7012 rodent chow, but I think with that bulk prices are cheaper. I hope any of this helps.
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 4:47 am

smb2585 wrote:
Im not sure on the supplies. He bought enough to build 3 at bought everything at home depot and worked through the night every night one weekend to get them done... now that he knows what he is doing with them they dont take as long to build.

Selling 6 tier for $225 and I think he is doing special on 5 tier for $185??

i def still want one (or two) stephanie, but after those two breeder purchases i am going to have to postpone it for a little longer Sad he builds them outside? will he still be building them in january/february?
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 10:57 am

He will build them year round so no worries. He can go to my dads office/warehouse for some heat if he needs it Very Happy But he is used to working outside in frigid conditions since he used to do Land Surveying
Back to top Go down
anacondaman123

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 3:29 pm

After seeing these rat racks on craiglist..built one myself..kinda takes some getting used to after using glass tanks for so long of breeding rats in..any one in here breed mice by chance?
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 7:38 pm

I don't breed mice for commercial purposes, but I have maintained our breeding colonies in the lab for yrs. If you have any questions feel free to ask Smile
Back to top Go down
rossreptiles
rossreptiles

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 4:23 pm

Breeding Rats? 103_3088I breed mice for my animals and sell surplus as well. Tubs are much easier to clean than glass tanks. I build my own racks and also use BoaMaster rodent racks. Here is a photo of a 4 large tub grow out rack I built (pre-water system)
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/vinlandreptiles
anacondaman123

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 7:31 pm

Just seems hard to find mouse breeders locally not charging a arm n a leg..my anery green anaconda eats 15 large mice a week..tryed transferring to rats n no luck yet
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Breeding Rats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Rats?   Breeding Rats? Empty

Back to top Go down

Breeding Rats?
Page 1 of 1