VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Keeping reptiles cool in this heat when cool spots become too hot

Go down 
+2
Kittiekat149
Jabberwocky Dragons
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

Keeping reptiles cool in this heat when cool spots become too hot Empty
PostSubject: Keeping reptiles cool in this heat when cool spots become too hot   Keeping reptiles cool in this heat when cool spots become too hot EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 3:19 pm

So for the past couple days, our A/C couldn't keep up with the heat and raised our ambient temperature several degrees. This raised our hatchlings cool spot into the dangerously high, giving them no place to cool down. I wanted to throw this simple temporary fix out there in case anybody has a similar problem during these heat waves.

I use a two step approach for our enclosures. Our bp's are doing fine in their racks so this is more directed towards lizard/tortoise etc owners.

1) Set up a fan right over the cool spot but facing away. The idea is to suck the hot air rising out and send it away, creating a continuous hot air movement away from the cool spot. I found setting the fan facing the enclosure lowers the hot spot too much.

2) I mist the animals regularly and also spray the cool side with lots of cool water several times daily. This way the heat works to evaporate the water instead of heating the air. The downside is the humidity is being temporarily raised but I feel it is a valuable trade off to keep the enclosure cool.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Kittiekat149
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Kittiekat149

PostSubject: Re: Keeping reptiles cool in this heat when cool spots become too hot   Keeping reptiles cool in this heat when cool spots become too hot EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 3:28 pm

We have been letting ours play in the tub more then usual. Razz
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: Keeping reptiles cool in this heat when cool spots become too hot   Keeping reptiles cool in this heat when cool spots become too hot EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 11:23 am

How hot is too hot for a beardie? Our heat pump went out and our house is hot, super hot!!! I have cut off all the heat lamps and they get UV about 10 hrs a day, and I have been misting, but he isn't eating as much as usual, and it seems to be too hot for my monitor and uromastyx so I have fans around them. Any suggestions (other than getting a new heat pump, I'm working on it, they're expensive!!!) Smile
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Keeping reptiles cool in this heat when cool spots become too hot   Keeping reptiles cool in this heat when cool spots become too hot EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 1:41 pm

Their cool spot should be under 83 with the mid 70s highly preferable. If he's not eating, it could be a combination of it being too hot and also the lack of a basking light. They do much better with an actual basking area. I would temporarily sacrifice the basking light for a cooler tank though if it's one or the other.

I'm not sure what you could do. If he's in a tank then place it on the floor where it's slightly cooler. The fans are a good idea. I would also spray him and the cool spot often with cool water to make the heat dissipate its energy evaporating it instead of heating the air.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Stray

PostSubject: Re: Keeping reptiles cool in this heat when cool spots become too hot   Keeping reptiles cool in this heat when cool spots become too hot EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 2:59 pm

Thank you for the ideas!! I was actually thinking of asking this. Our AC is older than I am and can only cool the smallest room in the house (the kitchen, where it sits), so it's been toasty here. :/
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/siobhan.sprouse
MADKATTER
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Keeping reptiles cool in this heat when cool spots become too hot   Keeping reptiles cool in this heat when cool spots become too hot EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 4:11 pm

My 8 year old daughter somehow convinced her mother to let her get a beardie so this is great info. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Keeping reptiles cool in this heat when cool spots become too hot   Keeping reptiles cool in this heat when cool spots become too hot EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 8:49 pm

It might be a little to much work, but you can make a radiator-style setup. Get 15' or so of nylon fish tank tubing and weave a pad and hook it up to an aquarium pump that feeds cool water from a reservoir. The setup is almost identical to a radiant pool heater but instead of heating with sunlight, the water will absorb the heat.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/124/826/440/440826124_208.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Kittiekat149
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Kittiekat149

PostSubject: Re: Keeping reptiles cool in this heat when cool spots become too hot   Keeping reptiles cool in this heat when cool spots become too hot EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 3:45 am

If you don't wanna make something they also sell cool humidifiers, misters and foggers. You could also put a decent sized rock in the enclosure that has been cooled down a bit. I know that sounds ghetto but when we lost our power last year and the heat got bad it got my beardies through it all. It also can work the other way to warm beardies up. Let a nice flat rock sit out in the sun for a bit. ...
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: Keeping reptiles cool in this heat when cool spots become too hot   Keeping reptiles cool in this heat when cool spots become too hot EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 11:37 pm

Heat pump is being installed tomorrow!!! I kept them cool by misting, fans and leaving off the extra lighting. They did ok, but I'm sure they will be happy to get back to their normal schedules!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keeping reptiles cool in this heat when cool spots become too hot   Keeping reptiles cool in this heat when cool spots become too hot Empty

Back to top Go down

Keeping reptiles cool in this heat when cool spots become too hot
Page 1 of 1