VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday

Go down 
+3
Don
ClarkeReptiles
David_Means
7 posters
AuthorMessage
David_Means
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday Empty
PostSubject: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 3:19 pm

We will be in Richmond this Thursday (February 2, 2012) to Lobby against SB 477. We need more than just 12 people to show up this time, we really need to make an impression. Many of us sacrificed time from work, family, and other responsibilities last week to be in Richmond for the exotic animal keepers meeting as well as to lobby last week. We need more people to show up this Thursday to help with the fight. Remember the HSUS and other animal extremists are lobbying in great numbers showing their support of these Bills. We need to show Virginia's legislators our true numbers.

Anyone from Richmond know of good parking near the General Assembly Building?

We will be meeting at:

Discovery UMC
13000 Gayton Road
Richmond, Va. 23233

Please be there before 8am, as we'll be departing for the General Assembly Building at 8:00.

For more infomation please contact:

Jared L Watts

rescueandtransportwri@yahoo.com

or

David Means

540-829-9846

dvmeans@hotmail.com

Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 5:14 pm

Unfortunately I have to work and there is no way I can take off that day. (I'd need more notice)

I really wish I could make it out there. I'd call out sick if I could, but I can't even do that. I wish you all luck!
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
David_Means
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 2:54 pm

To all exotic animal keepers in Virginia:

This post may come across as a bit harsh, but it needs to be said. There are too many people in this community riding the coat tails of those working hard to fight the two bills in the Virginia House and Senate. We have people from Maryland and North Carolina driving to Virginia to support us in the fight for our rights to own these animals, yet we can only get a handful of Virginias’ to lobby against these bills.
I’ve been unemployed of eight months and had to decline the only chance I’d had for employment since I lost my job in order to fight these bills. I’ve spent money I don’t have on paper, envelopes, ink, fuel, and copies to get the letters sent to me in the hands of each delegate and senator on the committees hearing these bills. I do this because I’m passionate about working with the animals I keep and I don’t want to lose the right to work with them. I understand all to well the sacrifices that need to be made in order to prevail in this fight. We have people driving 4 ½ hours one way to lobby, people closing their business and turning away costumers and clients in order to be able to come to Richmond to fight this legislation. The time to fight is now, not after the bill become law.
I want to thank everyone who has made sacrifices to help in the fight for our rights to own the animals we keep and love. I look forward to seeing you all again this Thursday
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 3:09 pm

David, what time to you anticipate being at the Capitol building? I work very near there and can walk down, if I can get away from work.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
David_Means
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 3:20 pm

Don,

Our first appointment is at 9:00 so we plan on being there by 8:45. Is the Capitol building and the General Assembly building the same building?
Do you happen to know of any good parking? We had a hell of a time findind parking last Thursday.

Thanks, David
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 3:44 pm

Here is a link to a map of parking lots: http://www.ridefinders.com/FrontEnd/HTML/WSI/images/downtown%20commuter%20guide%20update.pdf[url][/url]

Here is a link to the rates: http://www.ridefinders.com/FrontEnd/HTML/WSI/images/rate%20card.pdf

The RMA deck on Canal usually has space available during the week. We normally have a few spots available in our building as well. The Bank of America Building lot is on Cary Street. There is also parking under the James Center, but it is more expensive and I would avoid it if I could.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
David_Means
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 3:52 pm

Thank you Don. That is very helpful.
Back to top Go down
David_Means
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 5:46 pm

Letter from Jared Watts

I would like to thank everyone for the push we have had here in the Virginia Reptile and Exotics Community in the last 2 weeks. Our response can show our legislators that prohibitions that have and still fail in neighboring states have no base here in the commonwealth. I, along with various others from the reptile and exotics community have been working diligently in gaining access to, and conversing with our delegates in Richmond. Currently both Bills 477 and 1242 remain on shakey ground (I dont trust politicians, so nothings dead until its buried) and this Thursday 2/2/2012 we will need massive representation from my fellow Virginians at the General Assembly building meeting and speaking to our various represenative’s while countering the PAID OPPOSITION the HSUS and PETA like organizations had in place blanketing the building with their propoganda against our community. I can't stress this enough, these delegates appreciate faces alot more than letters and works. They seem responsive to the private communities imput. WE ARE A COMMONWEALTH, IF WE CONTINUE TO PUSH THESE LAWS WILL NEVER GET IN THE DOOR HERE> I Urge everyone who has every and currently owned a reptile to show up one Thursday at the same church in Richmond at:
UMC
13000 Gayton Rd
Richmond,VA 23233
BETWEEN 7-8 AM after 8 We will already all be heading to the capitol feel free to meet us there.
I urge Everyone to Carpool. There are groups Meeting at my house (which is in Smithfield on Rt 10) as Well as Eric Crabtrees home in Norfolk VA. If YOU NEED A RIDE, or would like to carpool PLEASE EMAIL OR CALL ME DIRECTLY and we will make sure you get to Richmond with us. Carpooling is a must as parking is very limited and you may need money for tolls and parking per day is 15-20$ per vehicle. BRING COMFORTABLE SHOES! And please DRESS APPROPRIATELY. If I can get my Grizzly adams face into a suit then I know we all can show up looking to impress our legislators with our poise, knowledge, and unity as private facility owners and keepers here in Virginia. We currently have a minimum of 4 Meetings Currently set up between senators and legal aids and the first one begins at 9:00am. I MUST AGAIN STATE, THESE BILLS HAVE NOT DIED< AND THEY CAN STILL VERY MUCH EFFECT OUR RIGHTS THIS YEAR> WE MUST STAY DILIGENT AND NOT DROP OUR GUARD> THEY WILL BE BACK. BUT LETS HIT THEM SO HARD THIS THURSDAY THAT THE IMPRESSION RESOUNDS IN THERE MINDS EVERYTIME SOMEONE MENTIONS EXOTIC ANIMAL LEGISLATION IN VIRGINIA!
I EXPECT the community to be strong this week, and show up for something we all have a stake in. Dont let National organizations like the HSUS destroy our rights here at home!
Jared Watts
VIIPER Board Elect
WRI Chair
VDGIF Permit Holder
Back to top Go down
David_Means
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 10:52 pm

We have people offering rides from Manassas, Culpeper, Norfolk, and Smithfield for those that are interested. Please contact me for more info.

David Means
540-829-9846
dvmeans@hotmail.com
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 4:23 am

i plan on going, especially if i can get some others to carpool with me. i can take my car and fit 4 others. if you would like to carpool with me i can meet anyone in the newport news area.... my number is 630-636-8087.

oh and...... " BRING COMFORTABLE SHOES! And please DRESS APPROPRIATELY. If I can get my Grizzly adams face into a suit then I know we all can show up looking to impress our legislators with our poise, knowledge, and unity as private facility owners "

i dont have any nice clothes but i intend to where my uniform (i wont be able to get off work until 0600, so my uniform will have to do, lol). i want them to see that military members are affected as well. its bull that i can deploy and not see my family for months but they wont allow me to own the animals i want...... for shame Sad like i said, if anyone wants or needs a ride let me know sooner rather than later so we can make arrangements. thanks.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 9:45 am

I think wearing your uniform would be a great thing. Maybe they will realize members will not want to transfer to a state with such silly laws.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 10:00 am

Yeah, I don't know if I'm "allowed" to. It's not a "protest" or anything illegal, so I don't see why not. And I might not have a choice if I don't get their early enough to change.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 10:17 am

If it's authorized for use off duty you should be allowed. I know some uniforms can't be worn on liberty, at least for some services.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 10:18 am

David_Means wrote:

This post may come across as a bit harsh, but it needs to be said. There are too many people in this community riding the coat tails of those working hard to fight the two bills in the Virginia House and Senate. We have people from Maryland and North Carolina driving to Virginia to support us in the fight for our rights to own these animals, yet we can only get a handful of Virginias’ to lobby against these bills.
I’ve been unemployed of eight months and had to decline the only chance I’d had for employment since I lost my job in order to fight these bills. I’ve spent money I don’t have on paper, envelopes, ink, fuel, and copies to get the letters sent to me in the hands of each delegate and senator on the committees hearing these bills. I do this because I’m passionate about working with the animals I keep and I don’t want to lose the right to work with them. I understand all to well the sacrifices that need to be made in order to prevail in this fight. We have people driving 4 ½ hours one way to lobby, people closing their business and turning away costumers and clients in order to be able to come to Richmond to fight this legislation. The time to fight is now, not after the bill become law.
I want to thank everyone who has made sacrifices to help in the fight for our rights to own the animals we keep and love. I look forward to seeing you all again this Thursday

Yes, that is a bit harsh. While I would LOVE to be able to come out and fight for my right to have these animals, skipping out on work and risking my job is just not something I can do. I have animals to take care of and I can't risk losing my job. If I did, I would have to give up my reptiles anyway because I couldn't afford to feed them. If I had more notice, I could ask off for that time, or if it was a day I already had off, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

I wish you all the best of luck on Thursday.
Back to top Go down
David_Means
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 3:10 pm

USARK on NPR's Diane Rehm Show Today!
USARK (United States Association of Reptile Keepers)
Join the Diane Rehm Show on NPR TODAY February 1, 2012 from 11am-12noon EST. Guests will include HSUS CEO Wayne Pacelle, USARK CEO Andrew Wyatt, Zuzana Kukol from Rexano Exotics and Tim Harrison. It will be a live call in show. Please call in with good questions. You can also email or Tweet questions in. It is a discussion, not a debate.
1-800-433-8850
drshow@wamu.org
http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/20...al-industry-us

Jarred Watts said it best on him Facebook page.

"After what I just heard on NPR, lemme be crystal. If YOU dont.show up in richmond tomorrow dont utter a word in July when your animals are euthanized."

and

"We got slammed, they cut Andrew off repeatedly and every single caller I heard was against us. If only a handful of us show up representing an estimated 11 million keepers this isnt gonna work. If the only effort people are willing to put into this is FB posts cryin and bloggon then maybe they arent putting enough effort in and shouldnt keep anyway. Seems like alot of these guys are all theory, and no action."

Back to top Go down
David_Means
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 3:40 pm

ClarkeReptiles wrote:
David_Means wrote:

Yes, that is a bit harsh. While I would LOVE to be able to come out and fight for my right to have these animals, skipping out on work and risking my job is just not something I can do. I have animals to take care of and I can't risk losing my job. If I did, I would have to give up my reptiles anyway because I couldn't afford to feed them. If I had more notice, I could ask off for that time, or if it was a day I already had off, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

I wish you all the best of luck on Thursday.

Really!!! What I find harsh is all the people sitting back and letting a few people fight for the rights of us all. How many members on here have made appointments with the senators and delegates on the committees hearing these bills? Last Thursday and this Thursday are a chance to lobby as a group, but you don't have to lobby as a group. Anyone can make a few appointments and lobby on their own. The first post about SB 477 was posted on January 12, 2012. Everyone has had more than enough time to find time off work and go talk to your senators and delegates in Richmond.
I have a friend that is also a member here that was interviewed at the Virginia Beach SPCA for a part time job. They called her and said they wanted to hire her, but the executive director felt it was a conflict of interest because she had exotic animals and the VA beach SPCA is in full support of this ban. We have others that are risking their careers to lobby against these bills. It's all about how bad to want to keep your rights. That this rate a lot of people are going to lose their animals and the right to own them ever again.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 4:05 pm

I think that everyone needs to realize the reality of the situation. Many reptile keepers are unable to take-off work to be there in person. That does not make them less passionate or caring about the proposed legislation. We all need to work within our means to do what we can. Remember we are all on the same team.

It looks as if we may have won a small battle or have at least postponed it:

"VA HB1242 Hits Legislative Deadline in Agriculture Sub-Committee. May be held over to 2013, but NOT GOING ANYWHERE in 2012! Kudos to all those in VA who have worked against it!! Today USARK CEO Andrew Wyatt learned from contacts in the VA General Assembly that Delegate Peace will pull HB1242 and possibly hold it over until 2013. This was confirmed by two separate sources.

SB477 is still alive, but will have a more difficult path to follow w/o it's House counterpart. A group of citizens and USARK members opposed to the bill will lobby door to door on Thursday February 2nd. If you would like to join this group email president@usark.org. There Is Strength In Numbers... Protect Your Rights!"

From: https://www.facebook.com/pages/USARK-United-States-Association-of-Reptile-Keepers/93475517723
Back to top Go down
David_Means
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 4:46 pm

As one of the few people that was in Richmond last Thursday, I find it hard to believe that of all the reptile keepers in Virginia only a dozen could find time off work. Of the dozen people there, one was from North Carolina, there was a husband and wife, and I brought 12 year old daughter, not a great showing for the vast reptile community of Virginia. For many of those dozen it was their second day they had to miss work that week, and will be missing work again this week. As far as us all being on the same team, the team isn’t going to win if most of the players are sitting on the bench. There is a very real chance we’ll lose this fight and then there will be no team. I saw first hand how hard the HSUS was lobbying in Richmond and the numbers of lobbyists they have.

Not a win at all!!! HB 1242 isn’t dead. It MAY be carried over to 2013, but is still very much alive and could still rear its head this year. Look on the Virginia LIS site; it hasn’t been carried over yet.

SB 477 is still very alive and we need to fight it hard.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 5:37 pm

There were many of us that wrote letters, made phone calls and donated money to help USARK and others fight the bills. Would you agree that these actions at least helped with the fight or does all the credit belong to yourself and the eleven others that made it to Richmond?

What is your source for the information that HB 1242 is still very much alive and could still rear its head this year?

FYI: http://www.kingsnake.com/blog/archives/801-Virginia-tables-one-exotic-animal-bill-til-2013,-leaves-another-active.html
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 5:51 pm

I am going to have to agree with David, at least a little bit, on this one. While I, and I'm sure David as well, appreciates all that I'm sure you and everyone else did it doesn't seem to be enough. Not everyone that will be effected by this is doing something. A LOT of people have done NOTHING! I think that is David's point..... That although there are some that wrote letters and made phone calls, and VERY few showed up MANY Virginians that will be effected have done nothing. I think you may be over analyzing what he Is saying. I doubt he is saying that you have sat on your a** and done nothing and I highly doubt David is trying to take credit for doing everything on his own. I appreciate everything David and the other twelve are doing and I wish there were more like them.
Back to top Go down
David_Means
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 6:00 pm

Sure it helped. I'm not looking for any credit at all, I just want people that feel they have a right to keep these animals to stand up and fight this instead of crying on facebook and other forums how these bills are unfair. When we had the meeting in Richmond last week, we met with PIJAC on others who know how to best fight legislation such as this. We were told the best way for us to proceed and win was to make appointments with our senators and delegates.

My source for the information on HB 1242 is the Virginia LIS site, but the site just updated information on HB 1242 to 02/01/12 Continued to 2013 in Agriculture, Chesapeake and Natural Resources by voice vote.

The patron of SB 477 said she was going to pull her bill and support the House bill over a week ago, it has yet to be pulled and is still very much alive.

Back to top Go down
David_Means
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 6:02 pm

ezekiel21 wrote:
I am going to have to agree with David, at least a little bit, on this one. While I, and I'm sure David as well, appreciates all that I'm sure you and everyone else did it doesn't seem to be enough. Not everyone that will be effected by this is doing something. A LOT of people have done NOTHING! I think that is David's point..... That although there are some that wrote letters and made phone calls, and VERY few showed up MANY Virginians that will be effected have done nothing. I think you may be over analyzing what he Is saying. I doubt he is saying that you have sat on your a** and done nothing and I highly doubt David is trying to take credit for doing everything on his own. I appreciate everything David and the other twelve are doing and I wish there were more like them.

Exactly!!!
Back to top Go down
David_Means
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 6:13 pm

This is what I saw last Thursday, when they get a letter it gets opened and clipped behind the copy of the bill in their office. From what I saw there weren’t many letters clipped to the bill, and of the few that were there I’m sure some were in support of the bill. Again the HSUS and other animal extremist were there in great numbers and it seamed as if when they knew who we were there they called in reinforcements. The HSUS is fighting very hard to make these bills laws.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 6:17 pm

Ryan, how do you know what the vast majority of reptile keepers in the state did in response to these bills? The bottom-line is it we did enough to have BH 1242 withdrawn due to our collective actions and opposition.

I appreciate David's actions too. Heck, if I had been unemployed for eight months with a family to support and received a job offer, I would of taken the job! My family and children come first.

Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 6:37 pm

I understand completely that this is a real danger to our hobby. Unfortunately I cannot risk losing my job, and no one should ever ask another individual in this kind of economy to risk a job that helps support their family.

Do I love my animals, yes. Do I think this legislation is the most ridiculous thing to come out of someone's a**, yes. Am I able to miss work and risk losing my job, no. It was damn hard for me to get this job and if I lose it, you can bet your a** I will have to get rid of all my snakes anyway because I won't be able to pay for them to eat.

I do not have a printer at home, but if someone wants to give me a pre-written (because if I try and write one, they will just laugh. I'm no good with writing anything) letter, I can TRY to print it off work (we are not allowed to print personal things at work, but I can try) and send them snail mail this week. If I'm able to get it printed off, I can take it to get copies and try and get family and friends to sign it to try and add to that small stack of papers you saw attached to the bill.

It may not seem like a lot to you who are able to go out and lobby and fight in person for our rights, but its what I'm able to do and I'm sorry if I don't seem like a passionate reptile keeper to you. I love my animals.
Back to top Go down
David_Means
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 6:40 pm

HB 1242 is only withdrawn for this year to be rewritten for next year. It could come back next year even worse, or it may not come back at all. It would have been nice to give our legislators an idea how big our community is and how important out animals are to us in the hope they would reconsider future legislation against us.

My family always come first and always will. I support my family just fine with my savings and the sale of the Scrub Pythons I produce.

I’m fighting this not only for my rights, but also for the future rights of my children
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm

ClarkeReptiles wrote:
It may not seem like a lot to you who are able to go out and lobby and fight in person for our rights, but its what I'm able to do and I'm sorry if I don't seem like a passionate reptile keeper to you. I love my animals.

Once again, no one was saying you don't love your animals. I know a lot of people who love their animals and did absolutely nothing to help. A lot of reptile keepers I know are either stay at home parents, don't have a job or have flexible work schedules and still they did nothing when clearly they could have. No one is asking you to lose your job for this, and I understand not everyone can do everything, but I personnely know people who could have done A LOT but did nothing. That's what I believe David is saying. People that could have, didn't. I didn't read him saying "come on everyone, quit Your jobs and lets go lobby" he was asking for support from those that can support but have refused thus far.

And jw, your right..... I can't possibly know what EVERYONE did or did not do. But like I said above, from my personnel experience with the reptile keepers I personnely know, not too much was done.
Back to top Go down
David_Means
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 6:51 pm

ClarkeReptiles wrote:
I understand completely that this is a real danger to our hobby. Unfortunately I cannot risk losing my job, and no one should ever ask another individual in this kind of economy to risk a job that helps support their family.

Do I love my animals, yes. Do I think this legislation is the most ridiculous thing to come out of someone's a**, yes. Am I able to miss work and risk losing my job, no. It was damn hard for me to get this job and if I lose it, you can bet your a** I will have to get rid of all my snakes anyway because I won't be able to pay for them to eat.

I do not have a printer at home, but if someone wants to give me a pre-written (because if I try and write one, they will just laugh. I'm no good with writing anything) letter, I can TRY to print it off work (we are not allowed to print personal things at work, but I can try) and send them snail mail this week. If I'm able to get it printed off, I can take it to get copies and try and get family and friends to sign it to try and add to that small stack of papers you saw attached to the bill.

If you want to email me a letter, I'll be happy to print it off and hand deliver a copy to each senator tomorrow. It’s very important to make the letter your own. I’m told they don’t like form letters. The letter can be short saying you oppose SB 477 and if passed it would effect you in a negative way. Be sure to include an address, phone number, or email address so they know you’re a real person.

David Means
dvmeans@hotmail.com

Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 6:54 pm

I think this thread has gotten off topic because of negative posts...... I live in Newport news and will be going tomorrow. If anyone needs a ride, or a letter delivered please let me know. You can message me on here or call/text me at 6306368087.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 7:00 pm

It seemed that way. I apologize if I got defensive. I will do what I can to help.

I will get a hold of a pre-written letter and try to print it out tonight before I leave work. If possible I will make copies. IF I can be sneaky about it, I can try and get my co-workers, friends, and family to sign copies and I will send them out by snail mail to whoever I need to send them to.
Back to top Go down
David_Means
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 7:06 pm

Jesse,

My posts weren’t meant as a personal attack on you, so please don’t take it that way. I understand that some people absolutely can’t take off work, but there are many that can that aren’t. I’ve taken countless calls and email from people over the last few weeks wanting to help, and saying they will show up for the fight or send letters, just to never hear from them again. I know for a fact many people are doing nothing at all. My above posts are to all the people sitting back doing nothing, saving vacation time, and complaining how unfair these bills are. To much B#*%!^ing and not enough doing, if you know what I mean.
Back to top Go down
David_Means
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 7:48 pm

Jessica,

I responded to your email (sent to your yahoo address). Thank you for your time, support, and letter.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 7:53 pm

Thank you. I will try to recruit some co-workers this week to write some letters and send them to me. I might be able to print them here and send them snail mail.
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 8:00 pm

David, I sent you a text.
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 8:30 pm

This is late but still need to be said, stick together and get this wrong fixed. Any help you all can do, letters, phone calls or being at the captail all are welcome and big thanks to all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday   Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday Empty

Back to top Go down

Join Us for Round Two of Lobbying in Richmond this Thursday
Page 1 of 1