VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Crested Gecko Tail Biting?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Axolotl Girl
Established Member
Established Member
Axolotl Girl

Crested Gecko Tail Biting? Empty
PostSubject: Crested Gecko Tail Biting?   Crested Gecko Tail Biting? EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 10:58 pm

I have two young cresteds and I noticed today that one of them has started biting the end of the others tail and I've had to "rescue" the one being bitten twice now (I'm currently looking for something to put one of the in for the night until I can get a proper cage tomorrow).

Is this normal for young cresteds? These are the first babies I've had, they're a little bigger than hatchling size I think, all my others I got at sub adult size and my two girls have never had a problem. Here are some recent pictures of the two to give an idea of about how old they are

The bully:
Crested Gecko Tail Biting? Lizard13

The bullied:
Crested Gecko Tail Biting? Lizard12
Back to top Go down
Rhuwme
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Rhuwme

PostSubject: Re: Crested Gecko Tail Biting?   Crested Gecko Tail Biting? EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 11:20 pm

Could be two males. How young are they? I don't suppose they've been sexed yet, have they?
Back to top Go down
Axolotl Girl
Established Member
Established Member
Axolotl Girl

PostSubject: Re: Crested Gecko Tail Biting?   Crested Gecko Tail Biting? EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 11:36 pm

Its possible that they're males, I'm not entirely sure how to sex them at this age
Back to top Go down
californiadreamin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
californiadreamin

PostSubject: Re: Crested Gecko Tail Biting?   Crested Gecko Tail Biting? EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 12:13 am

Pretty sure they're males. You should house them separately just to be safe.
Back to top Go down
Axolotl Girl
Established Member
Established Member
Axolotl Girl

PostSubject: Re: Crested Gecko Tail Biting?   Crested Gecko Tail Biting? EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 12:41 am

That's the plan, one of them is in a critter keeper for the night until I have a chance to get a proper tank in the morning.

I was really just asking because I was curious if this is a common behavior in young cresteds or not
Back to top Go down
Rhuwme
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Rhuwme

PostSubject: Re: Crested Gecko Tail Biting?   Crested Gecko Tail Biting? EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 1:02 am

I have two juvenile cresteds, have had them for about a couple of months now. They get along perfectly in my medium exo-terra, but I'm pretty sure they're both female. In fact, I've seen them on several occasions laying right next to each other in one of the toilet paper tubes.
Back to top Go down
Axolotl Girl
Established Member
Established Member
Axolotl Girl

PostSubject: Re: Crested Gecko Tail Biting?   Crested Gecko Tail Biting? EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 1:07 am

Thanks. These guys had been together for about 3 months or so and seemed totally fine until today. I'm not sure how much time they spent near one another though since the cage has a ton of plants and stuff to hide in, but I know my girls do spend a lot of time hanging out together
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crested Gecko Tail Biting?   Crested Gecko Tail Biting? Empty

Back to top Go down

Crested Gecko Tail Biting?
Page 1 of 1