VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Boa Feeding

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jareddtampa
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
jareddtampa

Boa Feeding Empty
PostSubject: Boa Feeding   Boa Feeding EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 6:11 pm

I've been thinking about varying my BCs diet a little by adding in some quail, chickens, or rabbit. She is on rats right now and doing fine. I know that obviously they have varied diets in the wild. Does anyone on here feed different types of food/what are your opinions on the pros and cons of doing so?
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
bcr229

Boa Feeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boa Feeding   Boa Feeding EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 9:32 pm

I've never done it but my understanding from people who do is that when feathers go in the front end, what comes out the back end can be pretty gross.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
jareddtampa
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
jareddtampa

Boa Feeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boa Feeding   Boa Feeding EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 9:34 pm

I have heard that as well. I've also heard that when you get the really gross stuff is when the diet is switched primarily to fowl rather than just using it as a variation sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Nocturnalnature
Established Member
Established Member

Boa Feeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boa Feeding   Boa Feeding EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 4:45 am

By necessity, the two specimens of Timber Rattlesnakes in my collection require that I rotate between mice/chicks on occasion. I can confirm that the stool is quite offensive after a chick feeding but returns to a tolerable mess once they are back on rodents. I also have one Gila that prefers quail chicks and it seems to have the same effect on their feces. Needless to say, I only resort to the poultry section of my freezer when absolutely necessary Laughing.
One thing I would be careful of is the possibility of your animal "imprinting" on an alternate or less available food source.
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Deedle

Boa Feeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boa Feeding   Boa Feeding EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 5:56 am

Nocturnalnature wrote:

One thing I would be careful of is the possibility of your animal "imprinting" on an alternate or less available food source.

This

Now I feed my Retics and Burms a variety because they will all pretty much eat anything but I mainly stick to one prey source and feed others if I get them (I feed rabbits primairly)
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Deedle

Boa Feeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boa Feeding   Boa Feeding EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 5:58 am

bcr229 wrote:
I've never done it but my understanding from people who do is that when feathers go in the front end, what comes out the back end can be pretty gross.

And yes you will get some feathers.
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
bcr229

Boa Feeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boa Feeding   Boa Feeding EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 2:41 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
jareddtampa
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
jareddtampa

Boa Feeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boa Feeding   Boa Feeding EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 2:48 pm

Interesting. Thanks for sharing! After that and some other research I think I may be leaning towards at least giving them a shot for a little and see how big mama responds to them. I'll definitely give an update on the outcome once I have.
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Deedle

Boa Feeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boa Feeding   Boa Feeding EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 5:53 pm

The problem with fat is most of what you're feeding bigger boas is Retired breeders and they're higher content wise with fat.

I like mixing up the prey items personally if you can. I wouldn't suggest it with a picky or sparatic eater.
Back to top Go down
jareddtampa
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
jareddtampa

Boa Feeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boa Feeding   Boa Feeding EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 5:54 pm

My boa is definitely nowhere near picky and surprisingly enough neither are my bps!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Boa Feeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boa Feeding   Boa Feeding Empty

Back to top Go down

Boa Feeding
Page 1 of 1