VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rat Breeding Problem

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
neeckow123
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Rat Breeding Problem Empty
PostSubject: Rat Breeding Problem   Rat Breeding Problem EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 5:04 pm

Hi everyone. I had a problem with my rats that I am trying to breed latley. It seems that one of my females has taken a chunk of hair and skin out of the side of my male rat. What should I do? I have already separated them and they were only together for 2 days. Should I put them back together or should I try another male? They are about the same size. What I am thinking is is that they were fighting for this hide that I keep in the middle of the tub. Should I take the hide out? Thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
neeckow123
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Rat Breeding Problem   Rat Breeding Problem EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 6:38 pm

My bad. They were together for exactly 5 days. Could the male have done his job with both of the females in that time?
Back to top Go down
maxhorsley
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
maxhorsley

PostSubject: Re: Rat Breeding Problem   Rat Breeding Problem EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 7:46 pm

he probably did his job-you may want to try a new male if they can't get along. I run 1:3 and leave them as groups, i don't seem to have any problems with aggression and I never separate them.
Back to top Go down
Dementeddogz
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Dementeddogz

PostSubject: Re: Rat Breeding Problem   Rat Breeding Problem EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 8:55 pm

Remove the hide, make sure whatever your using is an appropriate size and they always have access to food and water. Hes probably Done his "job" they breed fairly quickly. If the problem persists you could try another set sometimes you can just end up with an evil rat, hell ive had a few :-p
Back to top Go down
http://www.morphedout.com
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: Rat Breeding Problem   Rat Breeding Problem EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 12:59 pm

best to get rid of any mean ones!
Back to top Go down
neeckow123
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Rat Breeding Problem   Rat Breeding Problem EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 4:15 pm

Yeah thats what I thought but I am not sure which the mean one is because I have 2.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Rat Breeding Problem   Rat Breeding Problem EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 2:22 pm

I've always had the best success raising them together after weaning and not separating until they are euthanized at about 12-14 months of age.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Dementeddogz
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Dementeddogz

PostSubject: Re: Rat Breeding Problem   Rat Breeding Problem EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 3:22 pm

Youll periodically end up with an evil rat, quickest to get fed off :-p of course the meanest two i had i kept for a couple years, she dropped huge litters always 20+! She would always go out of the way to try to bite me, succeeded a few times. She recently passed though :(she was in my sons science class maze experiment.
Back to top Go down
neeckow123
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Rat Breeding Problem   Rat Breeding Problem EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 5:35 pm

So I kept the male with the females for only 6 days. Do you think that that is enough time to fertilize the females?
Back to top Go down
Dementeddogz
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Dementeddogz

PostSubject: Re: Rat Breeding Problem   Rat Breeding Problem EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 10:37 pm

Most likely, doesnt take long
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rat Breeding Problem   Rat Breeding Problem Empty

Back to top Go down

Rat Breeding Problem
Page 1 of 1